• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to achieve this shadow in illustrator

altereddezignz

Your setling me to eat cost of the software that has already been purchased and to start purchasing new software on one persons advice and start learning over again. Thanks for saying I am like your daughter not sure what that's all about but thanks I guess?? Yes I have read and put a lot of thought into what you stated about Corel. I also downloaded the Corel trial and tried to use it daily as well along side of adobe trying to figure it out. Simply things are a task from what I see so far. Planing around using the space bar, making a easy and quick duplicate by dragging while holding alt so many things I am used to in adobe is completely different in Corel. Now I am stuck with adobe for another 8 months or so since we do use the monthly version so a change wouldn't be very soon as we would be paying for both.

But back to the name calling lol. The drop shadow is 3 clicks as well. Same as your glow your wanting just an FYI. My question has passed what I was trying to learn to do but more asking about resolution bc it plays a part in the shadows, gradients and fades. If all your going to do is keep coming back to telling me to change software by all means stop. You definitely have more knowledge than I do in this area but simply telling me that adobe is not a standard in sign making and Corel is and that software I don't even use any longer like flexi and such runs like Corel still doesn't want me to make a change to another software.

Telling me to learn the apps to do the work would be the apps I have for the adobe lone currently. Either way thanks for the insite and information that did help me with things I didn't know, but please do no belittle me with your master of knowledge in this area.
I am simply trying to learn the software and apps I have in my possession and that thousands of people use on a daily basis as well.

altereddezignz

Had some free time to play with the blending. I found another issue when using the effects drop shadow in illustrator.

If you need to specify a specific color in the rip and have to select to change that color in rip it will not work in the areas that have the shadow. Even if you expand the shadow.

Now here is a image i did blending on but it looks nothing like or the one below it using the effects drop shadow.

The image with the blue in it is the one that is a blended area. The other is the drop shadow using the effects.

I guess for some reason when onyx sees the drop shadow it splits up colors and doesn't see the color under the shadow. Its kinda crazy so anything that i need to change the colors or map a color to in onyx at this point i cannot use any shadows, inner or outer glows and so on.

Unless i am missing something here on the way you are using the blend. I have tried blen on path and page. I followed the steps in the link above and it wirks great if you not following a path or something like that thats not just round.

Any thought and please noone tell to get rid of my adobe stuff and buy new corel stuff.. LOL

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_56 Feb. 08 11.26.png
    ScreenHunter_56 Feb. 08 11.26.png
    23.4 KB · Views: 191
  • ScreenHunter_55 Feb. 08 11.26.png
    ScreenHunter_55 Feb. 08 11.26.png
    42 KB · Views: 189

oksigns

Had some free time to play with the blending. I found another issue when using the effects drop shadow in illustrator.

If you need to specify a specific color in the rip and have to select to change that color in rip it will not work in the areas that have the shadow. Even if you expand the shadow.

Now here is a image i did blending on but it looks nothing like or the one below it using the effects drop shadow.

The image with the blue in it is the one that is a blended area. The other is the drop shadow using the effects.

I guess for some reason when onyx sees the drop shadow it splits up colors and doesn't see the color under the shadow. Its kinda crazy so anything that i need to change the colors or map a color to in onyx at this point i cannot use any shadows, inner or outer glows and so on.

Unless i am missing something here on the way you are using the blend. I have tried blen on path and page. I followed the steps in the link above and it wirks great if you not following a path or something like that thats not just round.

Any thought and please noone tell to get rid of my adobe stuff and buy new corel stuff.. LOL
Shadow is a RASTER effect and may as well be considering set in stone rather than something that resembles an XML file that can easily be edited. Hence, vector art can be edited on the fly as opposed to a static pixel

altereddezignz

Shadow is a RASTER effect and may as well be considering set in stone rather than something that resembles an XML file that can easily be edited. Hence, vector art can be edited on the fly as opposed to a static pixel

Correct but i was under the impression that using the blend feature and expanding it was not a raster as it can be edited?

oksigns

Correct but i was under the impression that using the blend feature and expanding it was not a raster as it can be edited?
so, in the situation, each step in the blend would be composed of a different color. Depending on the transitions, you are looking at possibly hundreds of different colors.

Honestly, some changes warrant action within the producing application than the rip. It can be convenient to make some alterations at the RIP stage, but a repaint like that just needs to be done in that host application.

Keep it live until the proof is confirmed and then go through the pre-flighting operations such as expanding/outlining/flattening

altereddezignz

We do keep it all live until ready to print. Here is the reason we have to change the color in rip.

We scanned an orange that the customer had. We ahve to be as close as possible to that color for a match. We scanned their sample and printed a swatch chart and was able to choose a color that is VERY VERY close but when we input that color into our software and rip it it does not recreate the exact color as the mix that the rip gives us give us the cmykor vlaues not just cmyk.

So when we select a color in the rip to modify it it has issue with the areas with shadows.

Hope this makes a little more since.
Now if i do not have to make any color modification in rip then shadows are not an issue at all.

altereddezignz

Here is another image show to show exactly what i am saying. I have tried this with using the effects and expanding them, Tried it using the blend method and expanding it.
Saved as, EPS, Tif, PDF and a couple more.
As you can see from the file when a custom color needs to be inserted it leaves the area with the shadow.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_56 Feb. 08 15.12.png
    ScreenHunter_56 Feb. 08 15.12.png
    58.2 KB · Views: 156
  • ScreenHunter_56 Feb. 08 15.11.png
    ScreenHunter_56 Feb. 08 15.11.png
    69.1 KB · Views: 226

altereddezignz

Ok so i named my color in illustrator and saved it as a spot color. I then created a spot color replacement name in the table for this color. When i opened the file in rip it changed the color completely even under the shadow.

Now only other issue this only works with Illustrator as photoshop does not save spot color names lol.... So back to more fun haha.

Last edited: