• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to cut-back decals on vs-540?

Rev Designs

I have a roland VS-540 and was curious if anyone successfully does Cut-back decals. I have done the process of printing the decals, cut contouring them, flipping the media over with a pin whole in the > corner marker, aligned base point along with other 3 points with the > markers and when I cut the decals I am successful in the pressure to have them pop out after. However, my problem is the alignment. Every time I do this they are a little bit off and it varies each time as well. I was wondering if anyone has any tips for this or can share how they or if they do this with their roland? I know of the perf cut feature, but would prefer to do this method if possible.

Thanks,

Matt

MikeD

if it is off a little randomly, that would make me thing that the grit rollers and pinch wheels aren't getting a good bite. Your alignment method sounds logical.
Perhaps you could apply tape to the back of the release liner along the feed axis on both sides to give the rubber wheels a better texture to bite onto.
The flex-cut feature does work well. Why do you not like it instead?
Good luck!

Rev Designs

if it is off a little randomly, that would make me thing that the grit rollers and pinch wheels aren't getting a good bite. Your alignment method sounds logical.
Perhaps you could apply tape to the back of the release liner along the feed axis on both sides to give the rubber wheels a better texture to bite onto.
The flex-cut feature does work well. Why do you not like it instead?
Good luck!

It is primarily off in the SCAN direction. But I will try the tape to make sure it isn't twisting the sheet by pulling one side harder than the other. I do not like the Perf-Cut as it tears up the cutting strip more than the back-cut style graphics. I am also using this for slitting the back of the decals and with the Perf-Cut you cannot do so.

Thanks,

Matt

JoshLoring

I use perf cut and it's good. Just test cut to find the sweet spot, use 60 degree blades, then configure advanced perf cut numbers you tested. Boom.. No messed up cut strips and perfect cuts. The 60 degree blade is the key plus test.
Ran thousands of these things.

Rev Designs

I use perf cut and it's good. Just test cut to find the sweet spot, use 60 degree blades, then configure advanced perf cut numbers you tested. Boom.. No messed up cut strips and perfect cuts. The 60 degree blade is the key plus test.
Ran thousands of these things.

True, and yes i'm running a 60 degree blade. However, it doesn't allow me to easily do the back-slit.

Thanks,

Matt

Custom_Grafx

When you align this sort of thing manually, isn't it normal to expect a little misregistration? If I understand correctly, the procedure you are using, involves you getting the knife's centre to come right above the pinhole? then setting it as basepoint?

When I do this for double sided prints, I expect anywhere up to 2mm or 3mm drift either way. I don't have a sure fire way to make my setup 100% consistent for every single job. I just manually try to get it as close as I can, but how can you be exactly the same every single time?

My guess is, if it's off in the SCAN direction, is that you think it's over the pinhole, when in fact, it's a little to the left or right. Can you setup a dead centre pin or something in your knife holder? My guess is it would be more accurate than a knife.

Remember, the knife's tip is not the centre of the holder as well...

Interested to see what your fix is.

J

john1

wait, you can do contour cutting through the backing on the Versacamm machines?

Custom_Grafx

You can. It's just that registration can be hard to get spot on... but if you're only doing the slit, then you could be off by 10mm and still be ok. Trying to do the perf cut from the back like the OP is trying to do, is hard if the registration needs to be tight. If you're happy with +/-3 or 4 mm... it can be done though.

JoshLoring

Can I reiterate? What is the point of perf cutting through the back side? Wasting time?

I run stickers with contour cut + perf cut in the same run on laminated stickers all day long. Take the sheet over a box, shake it and all the stickers fall right off.

Why would you waste time flipping and reloading the media to achieve the same effect?

Custom_Grafx

The perf cut - I agree, I've done it quite a few times and my cutting strip isn't shred up. For the slit on the back, good idea, but registration is no big deal? Who cares if the slit is off centre? (that's what HE said).

JoshLoring

You mean a crack and peel slit?!
Lame.. SO not worth the effort. And a customer will pay the same with or without it so don't waste your time!

Rev Designs

Yes, the crack and peel is what I am referring to. And the tolerance of +/- 3-4mm would be ok, however when I do this it varies from 3-4mm to 10-15mm at times and I do not think my placement of the blade can be off that much! Just wondering why there isn't a consistency to this?! Do you align you artwork to the center of the media or leave it justified to the left? could this be the problem? I wouldn't think so as I ensure each time that I do the same for both outputs. Lastly another reason I would prefer back-cut rather than perf cut is for thick MX style graphics where a perf-cut wont work due to thickness and pressure.

elbandito57

We have a VS-640 and have perfcut a couple of full MX kits on very thick vinyl & laminate without problems. Just extend your blade at the machine (there are marker 'notches' so you know where you're at) and in the rip settings increase your perf pressure. Do a couple of test cuts to make sure the perf is clean. What vinyl and laminate are you using for the MX kits?

Fatboy

Can I reiterate? What is the point of perf cutting through the back side? Wasting time?

I run stickers with contour cut + perf cut in the same run on laminated stickers all day long. Take the sheet over a box, shake it and all the stickers fall right off.

Why would you waste time flipping and reloading the media to achieve the same effect?

Please...! If you have the time , please explain how you do this. Photo will be an added bonus.This will save me so much....!

Turbophein

i just learned about this and it seems it would save me lots of time cutting and weeding.

i just tried my first sheet and it came out ok but it leaves some of the backing paper, still better but not professional looking. i would like a nice clean cut.

right now i use oracal 3165ra and 210 laminate, almost 7 mil thick. i have my blade over extended and max pressure already 300gr. kinda scred to open the blade more. the blade is a clean cut 60 degree, only a week old, not much use. i have my offset at .250

thanks

Slamdunkpro

i just learned about this and it seems it would save me lots of time cutting and weeding.

i just tried my first sheet and it came out ok but it leaves some of the backing paper, still better but not professional looking. i would like a nice clean cut.

right now i use oracal 3165ra and 210 laminate, almost 7 mil thick. i have my blade over extended and max pressure already 300gr. kinda scred to open the blade more. the blade is a clean cut 60 degree, only a week old, not much use. i have my offset at .250

thanks

Wow, We do thousands of 3165 with 210 stickers and never set the cut pressure above 90 / the perf pressure above 200. Sounds like you need to run the blade out further or see if your blade tip is snapped off.

Mosh

My point is that Sting was a WCW guy the whole time. Now I can't see why he is in ka-hoots with Eric and the "back room" people. He is losing cred if you ask me!