• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to cut out the decal?

Nick Nie

Hi All:

We had many small decal jobs every week, those are normally rectangle, we have tried many different ways to cut the decal after plotting, some times we just increase the pressure of the plotter to cut through the vinyl then pick up the decal, but we found out the plotter blade became dull and not cutting evenly on the whole sheet and sometime the decal just got stuck on the plotter. then we try use the knife to cut out the decal after plotting, believe me, this has no fun at all and wast lots of time. i also tried weeding the roll and give customer the whole roll without cutting, but it looks not professional finishing.

I know that the large quantity we can outsource, but small quantity and rush orders we have to deal by ourselves.

How you guys deal with the decal jobs and have a profession finishing? Do i need to buy a trimmer to make the job easier? Any suggestions?

Many thanks!!!

MikePro

you talking about cutting the decal out, along WITH the liner? most companies that do this have a diecut machine or a CNCtable with a knife/wheel cutter, but you will wear-out a vinyl plotter trying to do this yourself.

+1 to a paper cutter being easiest DIY method. chop/stack/repeat

AGCharlotte

Usually I'll do a perf cut on the liner and tear em on the perf. If it's a large quanity, I'll perf cut in sheets that I can fit in my guillotine and final cut over there.

petepaz

if you are doing enough of this kind of work get one of these
fletcher-terry-titan-80-inch-board-cutter-image-1.jpg

myront

CorelDRAW is best
We use a dedicated plotter/cutter that has a "Half Cut" setting

"Layer 1" = all graphics/decals
"cut" = contour line around decals
"punch cut" = offset line around the cut contour line about 1/8"

run the sheet through using just the cut layer on
then run again using the Half cut option and use the Punch Cut layer only.

As the half cut is going you can just and "pluck" out the decals then pull off the out edge of them.

Sounds like a lot of steps but not if you use a macro to set it all up for you. Select all your decals hit the macro button and boom!

White Haus

Not a Newbie
We use a dedicated plotter/cutter that has a "Half Cut" setting

"Layer 1" = all graphics/decals
"cut" = contour line around decals
"punch cut" = offset line around the cut contour line about 1/8"

run the sheet through using just the cut layer on
then run again using the Half cut option and use the Punch Cut layer only.

As the half cut is going you can just and "pluck" out the decals then pull off the out edge of them.

Sounds like a lot of steps but not if you use a macro to set it all up for you. Select all your decals hit the macro button and boom!

Sounds interesting. What RIP software and plotter are you using to achieve this? I've been playing with Onyx cutserver and it does seem to work well with different cut layer/types.

Superior_Adam

We are lucky enough that we have a Zund cutter router that we can load a 150' roll and let the machine go at it. Before the zund we would standard cut the vinyl and weed it out then cut with scissors into smaller sheets or individual decals.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Sounds interesting. What RIP software and plotter are you using to achieve this? I've been playing with Onyx cutserver and it does seem to work well with different cut layer/types.

RIP is Flexi Production Manager. RIP, in my case, is irrelevant for cutting/plotting. All layers/cuts and such are set up in CorelDraw at each individual workstation prior to producing the print file. Once it's all set up just select what is to be printed and export to the "Hot Folder". Print Tech handles the printing. And either does the plotting themselves or lets the designer know it's been printed. Open the Corel from the RIP station and use the CorelDraw plugin (FineCut 8) to run the plot/cut.