Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Question How to Determine Pole Depth of Pre-Existing Pylon Sign

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Steven Ayvar, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Steven Ayvar

Steven Ayvar Hi I'm Steve

Mar 9, 2018
    McAllen, Texas
    Hey everyone,

Would anyone know how to determine the depth of a pre-existing pole sign? I've spoken with the city hall but they don't have any permits or documents of the sign. I need the pole depth so i can provide it to our engineer so we can get the appropriate lightbox size.

Thanks in advance,

- Steve

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Got a shovel?

3. studio 440

studio 440 Member

Jul 19, 2010
    cali
    send the pictures and measurements to a engineer thats local and deals with signs and ask him to figure out what you need for weight and wind sheer . other than that you would need a very expensive underground radar scan or like the man says dig

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. neato

neato Very Active Member

May 16, 2003
    Henderson, IL
    No clue, but nice design!

5. Rick

Rick Certified Enneadecagon Designer

Apr 17, 2003
    Valle Vista
    This...

6. Steven Ayvar

Mar 9, 2018
    McAllen, Texas
    Sadly i've spoken to an engineer but he would need the depth to calculate the wind resistance since we are making the new sign larger than the previous one :(

7. Jburns

Jburns Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Denver
    I am glad to hear you will have an engineer involved, since adding weight etc. to existing sign.

8. Rick

Apr 17, 2003
    Valle Vista
    There are companies that specialize in as-built construction surveys, I just had one done for a historical building, it was not cheap... you should have a few companies near your area...

9. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    That foundation will not support that size cabinet.

• Like Like x 1
  10. James Burke

James Burke Being a grandpa is more fun than working

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    It looks like wires run up the leg.

So....just pull off the cover of the LB and see if you can drop a weighted string down the leg. Either that or pull off a light (if they're removable) and drop a plumb bob down through the hole. Or pull off a face...there should be a hole in there somewhere.

Worse case scenario, just drill a 1/4" hole at the top of the cross member and drop a string attached to a piece of welding rod.

That should at least give you the minimum depth.

JB

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Rick

Apr 17, 2003
    Valle Vista
    I pray the OP knows this is the most unqualified statement I think I have ever read on this site, please ignore...

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Moze

Moze Very Active Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    This. I've always used fishing line and a small sinker.

13. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    No engineer can tell you how deep any post is, without bill's shovel. They CAN however, explain how deep your new ones will be. How in the world do you know this or any other sign was installed correctly ??

Some places will grandfather a sign in without knowing, but you can't go any larger than the original sign was intended.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    Actually Rick, I've installed several pylon sizes from small ones, to 50 feet tall ones. You can clearly see that the grass area is not wide enough to support a sign that size, the footer would not be under the parking lot or curbing. If the footer was 12' deep, that is another story, but we know it's not.

15. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    Does anyone know what was there at before? If the city doesn't have any permits on file does the landlord have any info?

16. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    That trick for figuring out the depth of the pole is pretty neat. But that still doesn't tell you the size of the concrete footing. I guess if the pole is deep enough, and heavy enough, you can go with that . Around here it's the combination of concrete footing & pole that holds a sign up, rarely is a it a post alone, at least not on big pylons.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. showie

showie New Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Barrie, Ontario
    This! Call the municipality and get the plans. Failing that, the land lord would have these on file (legally, they have to, otherwise, the plans are on file at the city and you can get them there, just roll the fee into the service charges if the client doesn't have files - warn them ahead of time though, because sometimes knowing there is a fee attached they'll magically be able to produce the files).

18. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    Also what kind of rebar and what size is in it? Did the company cut corners and not do it properly? What about the anchor bolts? are they 12"? 18"? 30"? A sign that size needs 42" J-anchors. Probably 6 to 8 of them per pole.
    Also is it 2,500 psi concrete? 3,000? There are a ton of factors involved. It's best to break out the concrete and start fresh. You can rent a skidsteer with a concrete hammer attachment and have it all broken up in 2 - 3 days.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Rick

Apr 17, 2003
    Valle Vista
    Oh great, a pissing contest. Are we gonna base it on distance, volume, PMS Yellow color match - or the fact that I've been pissing in footings for nearly 40 years. You can't tell what a footer is based on the grass.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Steven Ayvar

Mar 9, 2018
    McAllen, Texas
    Yes there was an Arbies previously, here are some photos. The sign they had there before is smaller by a couple feet.

Attached Files: