Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Question How to Determine Pole Depth of Pre-Existing Pylon Sign

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Steven Ayvar, Sep 10, 2018.

1. JTBoh

JTBoh I sell signage and signage accessories.

Jun 15, 2011
    Clermont, FL
    OP might check in city archives, which is time consuming and a pain in the a$$. The city will ALWAYS claim that "they can't find it", but it should exist somewhere. That somewhere is usually a box buried under decades of more boxes. Calculate that into your permitting time.

PS - Get a shovel

2. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    good question, what do you use to get the actual square footage on odd shapes?

3. Rick

Rick Certified Enneadecagon Designer

Apr 17, 2003
    Valle Vista

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  4. petrosgraphics

petrosgraphics Member

Feb 24, 2010
    cape cod, ma
    if this was a new store location for Arbies, the engineering was done by the the company that manufactured the sign. my experience has been, they ship everything as a complete kit. everything spec. out. it is more than likely a pour with rebar frame and possibly 1"-1.5" threaded rod for your anchor bolts. dig around the base to see how wide and how long the cement base is.

5. Robin Canaday

Robin Canaday Mythic Signs Portland - General Manager / Owner

If I were you, I'd stick with a cabinet design that (once all the math was done) had the same load as the original cabinet. Then move onto more likely projects, if that was not acceptable to the customer. I hope you didn't promise them this cabinet :p.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Sandman

Sandman Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Crystal Falls, MI
    Robin nailed it. Reduce your sign design to match the size of the Arby's sign or pass on the job. I do my own engineering on these before handing it to the engineer for a stamp. First, I doubt if anyone is going to over engineer a base and pole structure very much beyond the wind load requirement for that area. Just one step up in pole thickness or diameter could add hundreds of dollars to the cost on a sign that size. Extra concrete would add even more. It just doesn't make sense that anyone would add hundreds and hundreds of dollars to the sign cost for no good reason. Wind loads are calculated on sign height, width, and square area. This will determine the pole diameter as well as the thickness of the steel. Then there is the base. Bases can vary widely in shape, depth, and footprint. Concrete bases can go straight down or flair outward toward the bottom. The twisting wind load on a single pole for a wider sign than the original is another consideration when figuring the structure. Putting a bigger sign than what was there before could be a disaster waiting to happen. You don't know what's underground but the first step would be to get the wall thickness of the steel poles and the height of each part and have an engineer do the calculations to see if the steel would even pass for a bigger sign. If it doesn't you don't even have to wonder what the foundations specs are.