Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to efficiently cut 4'x8' Coroplast sheets into signs??

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by Spencer_cBlue, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Spencer_cBlue

Spencer_cBlue New Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Lansing, MI
    We have started getting into the high volume yard sign market and we are have a difficult time finding the easiest and most efficient way to cut the standard 18"x24" or 12"x18" signs out.
    We have a wall mounted cutter with a huge ruler track but the blade is wobbly and inconsistent, we have huge straight edges but that is just to damn inconvenient. So I was wondering if anybody could lend a hand and tell me about your methods or if there is a piece of equipment or tool/machine that allows this process to be streamlined.
    Not looking for crazy expensive machines but willing to spend a little chunk of money.
    Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks.

2. ChicagoGraphics

ChicagoGraphics Major Contributor

Feb 27, 2007
    World
    A straight edge and utility knife or find an old Dibold paper cutter

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tim Corbitt

Tim Corbitt New Member

Aug 14, 2020
    NH
    We also have seen a big uptick in Coroplast yard signs. We print the sheets and have two cutting stations set up. First off the printer the sheets are cut in half at the first station (Keen flat cutting table) located at the outfeed table. Then, we send 1/2 sheets to a second cutting station (keene wall cutter) for the short side cuts and then dropped into shipping boxes. Much faster then using our CNC automated cutting table.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Spencer_cBlue

Spencer_cBlue New Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Lansing, MI
    What models of cutting table and wall cutter do you have from Keene?

5. WYLDGFI

WYLDGFI Merchant Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Linden, NJ
    Tabletop cutter if you don't have CNC. Always have the coro claw as well. Cut them to 18x48s then separate with the claw.

• Like Like x 1
  6. eahicks

eahicks Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks

Apr 17, 2012
    DALLAS, TEXAS
    This is what we do and is the quickest. Can knock out 10 sheets (100 signs) in less than an hour (aside from printing time)

7. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Yikes !?!?! That's kinda slow. We cut a sheet in 1/2 like mentioned above and take it to either a 30" Cutter or our fletcher with a fence. Total time is maybe 2 minutes per 10. The more ya have, the faster it goes. We are talking Cor-X, correct ??

8. Christian @ 2CT Media

Christian @ 2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    This is similar to us but with a our Multicam. Our first single sided sheet is 6 mins with load/unload, 2.5 print, 2.5 cut. Then every other sheet is 3mins as our printer and cutter work simultaneously and finish at the same time. We did a large school job where we averaged 30 boards an hour.

To the op, a flute cutter and wall cutter with fence will be the lowest cost and most efficient.

9. mkmieciak

mkmieciak Lost Soul

Aug 14, 2013
    Illinois
    Fletcher-Terry.com

We use the Titan all day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. KatePhillips

KatePhillips Member

Jan 22, 2019
    Halifax NS
    Us too, Titan for everything. But we have a really good workspace for it.

11. mpn

mpn Active Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Do any of you use a cnc router with a drag knife for cutting contoured shapes effectively? Or which router bit if not drag knife?

12. Christian @ 2CT Media

Christian @ 2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    On our old iEcho and our New Multicam we exclusively use the knife on 4mm for contour or straight shapes. We use the E46 blade on the left.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  13. Snydo

Snydo Active Member

May 1, 2008
    Mid Michigan
  14. netsol

netsol Active Member

Apr 26, 2016
    englishtown, nj
    we built a approx. 50" panel saw. works fine, although i have not done anything any of you would consider high volume

15. FireSprint.com

FireSprint.com Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing

16. FatCat

FatCat Very Active Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    Before we got our Summa F-1612 we did run some coro on our 4x8 CNC table with a Donek drag knife tool. Honestly, it was OK at cutting simple shapes like circles, ovals, squares, etc.. but it struggled with anything more complex than that. It simply wouldn't do it clean enough for sale-able signs.

• Like Like x 1
  17. WYLDGFI

WYLDGFI Merchant Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Linden, NJ
    All of our coro cut to shapes is drag knife...thinner coro knife from Colex. Makes quick work of it all.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Member

May 7, 2019
    Wisconsin
    It is cheaper for us to buy precut 12 x 18 or 18 x 24 and put them on the shelf

19. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    coro-cutter & shear

20. eahicks

eahicks Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks

Apr 17, 2012
    DALLAS, TEXAS
    I assume you meant this for me. I said less than an hour. Could it take 20 minutes? Sure. I could probably knock out 30-40 sheets in an hour if I rushed.
    Was simply stating in an hour's time you could do quite a bit, like 100 signs which might be a typical order.