• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to Enlarge shutterstock images for large wall murals

JoeBoomer

Simplify the issue

They probably wanted to save money so they didn't buy the highest resolution version of the image. I bet their is a higher res version available for purchase on whatever stock photo website they bought it.

100dpi (even 72 dpi) for a wall mural "should" work.

Option 1.) Client purchases higher res version of that file

Option 2.) Client buys a similar image with higher res.

Option 3.) That's it, don't screw around with trying to backdoor a solution or manually re-touching the photo. In the end, you'll spend a lot more money and the client will be upset with how much time it takes, or extra cost, etc.

Don't over complicate it. Get a higher res image and print away.

DropZoneSpec

Any suggestion as to where to download Perfect Resize? I found it on the softonic website; however, I'm leary about downloading anything that isn't proven safe (got an encryption virus once..screwed me over huge).

neil_se

I used to think it was futile trying to upscale image resolution, until I really had a need to recently. We printed and installed 15000 sqft of temporary murals in a few weeks for this project and ON1 Photo was a lifesaver. Images were up to 70' long and most 15' high.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 29825654920_ab5b49224d.jpg
    29825654920_ab5b49224d.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 742

ScheelsPR

While I agree that you will more than likely get pixelation - photoshop (or similar program) to bicubic sample more pixels in half scale - and then let your RIP take care of the rest you might be fine. It really depends on the actual photo and how well it is. For example, I could take a scan of a photo that I hand sketched at 600dpi and save it as a uncompressed TIF and it still wouldn't be great. But modern cameras have EXCELLENT jpeg compression (well, most higher end cameras do) and if your RIP does more than 1 pass on processing you'd be very surprised at the quality output you can get.

I guess if it's artistic views your looking for - you really do need a medium format hassleblad or similar to get the actual pixels represented and then do the following in post, but if it's a retail mall that requires it to be photographic - even your printer you're more than likely using is going to introduce pixelation unless your on a older tech like Lambda.

Remember that while you can go all rasterized effects, the harder parts will be gradients to subset, but choosing the right algorith, I think you could pull it off.

MGB_LE

Those images aren't going to work at that size unfortunately and there is nothing Photoshop can do to help either.

The client should have consulted with you before he spent money on these images.

You will need much higher rez images to make this wall look presentable.

We print Dreamscape murals all the time and good resolution is key!
What tips can you share for either selecting or preparing images? We have a 240 x 120 wall and the client's starry sky image isn't good. I need to give them appropriate direction.

MGB_LE

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
Thanks for the quick reply. We have a client with his own star photography to be enlarged to 240x120" and the file was 4mb. I need to give them some pointers or resources.
Superzoom in the latest Photoshop (filters>neural filters) does an imorally good job, though it is very CPU/GPU intensive. Whether it'll go to to twenty foot depends on viewing distance, file format (hopefuilly a 4MB jpeg), and quality threshold.
Kepler has some nice images, as does Hubble, and I believe that NASA images might be public domain...

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I thought this was already mentioned... either I missed it or I'm thinking of a similar thread. Topaz Gigipixel is AMAZING. It's like magic (almost creepy) - terrific for enlarging photographs.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I looked on Shutterstock and there are several images of the golden gate bridge that will work a lot better. I found an image that was 41.3" x 13.8 at 300ppi. you can blow that up 4 times without losing any real detail by just scaling it to 165.2" x 55.2" at 75ppi. I have Photo Zoom as well but with a good image at that size, it probably isn't needed. If you enlarge it from there with PhotoShop or Corel try and do it in two or three steps instead of one. I find the pixelization is slightly less using more steps and, adding some noise or grain can make it look even better.

If you want a perfect image at 3 or 4 feet, vectors are going to be the only way. I was taught that the appropriate viewing distance for viewing an image is when you are far enough back to take in the whole image at once. Because we are in the business, we tend to overanalyze things and try to provide our customers with perfect prints. As the print comes off the printer you only see a small sample and you freak out over the lack of detail. If you have concerns about your customer's reaction, print a 52" x 52 full-size section as a sample. Get there early and tape it on the wall. Have them view it from a reasonable distance first, and gauge their reaction. Then take them up close and show them any pixelization and then educate them. Understanding and creating realistic expectations is one of the biggest pieces in having satisfied customers.

Whatever you do, try and talk them out of a glossy laminate. Gloss shows every imperfection in the paint and mud joints and in my opinion, it looks like crap whether you have a good print or not. If there are downlights close to the wall they will only amplify any imperfection.

brentjosker

Our Client has bought supersize images ( 18.7MB ) size 23.38583 x 17.3228 @ 300DPI from shutterstock and want us to print wall murals for their office walls. When we blowup the images its becoming really pixalated. wall size is 270" w x 113". viewing distance will be 3 -4 ft. Is there any photo enhancing software we need to buy ? or if you have any photoshop tricks that can work. please help setting up these images for production. we will print these wall murals on Roland XR-640. we are using colorgate rip software.
post the image ill blow it up to whatever size you want, i will also panel it to the size of your printer, running horizontal with 1/4 or 1/2 seams?

Pippip

You realise this was posted 5 years ago... I'm sure the job is either complete or dead by now.
Original job is but if you actually read the last posts you'll see someone enquired with similar problem this week.
And given op was so long ago I'm sure alot of new options are available.
I use Gigapixel, absolutely brilliant. Also very handy for your general low res items that you just need to enhance for standard printing.
Just to note - when I use this for enhancing a photo sometimes it works amazingly well and other times it does nothing. Can't work out why but just saying don't right it off if it doesn't work on your first project.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I thought this was already mentioned... either I missed it or I'm thinking of a similar thread. Topaz Gigipixel is AMAZING. It's like magic (almost creepy) - terrific for enlarging photographs.
Thank you! Just downloaded it. I just sent a sign out the door yesterday that had a customer supplied "motor" photo. It worked great for everything until I had to blow it up for this sign. Fortunately, I was able to clean it up and "blur" the pixely areas just enough to where a distance of around 5' it looked clear and it's going to be up about 10' off the ground. The bad part is it took me forever to do it LOL - I guess I have the perfect photo to try this out on!