• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to Enlarge shutterstock images for large wall murals

bigben

Our main business is murals. We always suggest a vector file but most of the pictures are taken from shutterstock. We use Topazlbas Gigapixel with their other software to enlarge the pictures. So far, they are the best we use. The only downside is you can scale over 600%.

Precision

Photo zoom Pro is very good. Also educating the client on their expectations versus quality and size of their photos.

We try to have our client provide the original image, then inspect it and tell them the truth about how their print quality may turnout.

Last, print samples on cheap vinyl and show your client prior to wasting time and ink printing less than quality wall murals.

We also always educate about using vector art for the best results, but will print whatever it is they want, with their approval on these types of questionable quality wall wraps.

Craig Keller

What software is best to take a large mural or pic and break it into selected size say for floor tile sizes to print out.

Michael-Nola

I print things. It is very exciting.
Bye the bye, printing an image at anything more than 150dpi with a printer running at 720dpi can often be counterproductive and most always is futile.
I have to say this is just absolutely incorrect if you mean images more than 150ppi?

That was true 30 years ago, not today.

Whether you are photographing originals at too low of resolution or suggesting to downsample before ripping, wildly incorrect. Color gamut, density, color space shifts, out of gamut handling, black level densities, gradients, literally everything will be sacrificed with that method.

Modern rips are nothing short of color management magic. Many printers run extended gamut pigments and channels. Variable dot output can achieve apparent HD resolution on top of over 90% of the reasonably expected Pantone book.

Just saying.

MGB_LE

Original job is but if you actually read the last posts you'll see someone enquired with similar problem this week.
And given op was so long ago I'm sure alot of new options are available.
I use Gigapixel, absolutely brilliant. Also very handy for your general low res items that you just need to enhance for standard printing.
Just to note - when I use this for enhancing a photo sometimes it works amazingly well and other times it does nothing. Can't work out why but just saying don't right it off if it doesn't work on your first project.
Well, we're after a 240" x 120" print area using the attached file. A wallpaper size showed the crop zone after choosing the final dimension, so I'm attaching a PNG with the area of the image I chose for output. My email is lreed@abcoinc.com. I appreciate the help!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-01 at 3.32.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-01 at 3.32.06 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 169
  • HH to Witch Head 2.jpg
    HH to Witch Head 2.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 173

jfiscus

Rap Master
Purchase the Topaz Gigapixel AI and run it through that. Nothing else comes close, and it's only like $40 IIRC.
You can now use a variety of settings / AI models to greatly improve your final image output.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Well, we're after a 240" x 120" print area using the attached file. A wallpaper size showed the crop zone after choosing the final dimension, so I'm attaching a PNG with the area of the image I chose for output. My email is lreed@abcoinc.com. I appreciate the help!
Hang tight, I think I can help you...

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
It's too large to upload here, I'll email it to you.

Jeff grossman

Living the dream
check out topazlabs (topazlabs.com) pricy software but does the trick - i've used their products in the past , they run promos all the time this is not an ad or endorsement just a suggestion to solve your problem

funprint

Upsize using onOne or similar to say 30% of actual print size, put in rip and let the rip take it up to 100% size, print a small sample section from that file to see if it works. Rips can be very good at upsizing if the original is good.
This way you can also maintain resolution rather than reducing it.

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
Topaz Gigapixel AI is terrific, I find.
However I often only use the 2x enlargement.
It sharpens what needs preserving, blurs that which is blurry, and removes pixellation.