• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to fit a vinyl cover on a credit card

JOhnVan

So Ive been trying to get these vinyl covers on a credit card and have been having a lot of trouble. Eventually I would like to sell them, but first need to figure out the easiest way to get the vinyl covers on the credit card without any air bubbles and getting the perfect fit. My first idea is to use a clear backing so that I can line the cover up perfectly with the cover and then tape the cover down so that it doesnt move and then stick it on. Got the idea from this video:

[video=youtube;VyRwCvTcriE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyRwCvTcriE [/video]

Id love all feedback and advice as Im really trying to figure out the easiest, most efficient way to do this.

Last edited by a moderator:

TXFB.INS

good luck in you business......HOWEVER, there are a few points to be aware of
  • sealing the edges, credit cards are constantly being inserted into readers / swiped and these will peal the graphics off.
  • thickness, with the new graphics the card may be too thick to be used in a reader
  • both sides of credit cards are used for information. the front has the number / name the back has the strip. NONE of this information can be covered up.

we over print and trim, say the sign is 18x24 we print 18.5 x 24.5. makes it A LOT easier to align onto the substrate and then trim the excess.

CanuckSigns

Sorry can you explain what you are trying to do better? The video you posted is just a simple vinyl decal application on glass. Where does the credit card come into play?

also, are you talking about using a vinyl decal as a sort of protective cover for the card? If so I would have to question why? If the card gets damaged, they give you a new one for free.

JOhnVan

Thanks for the responses. The vinyl cover when applied to the card do not effect the thickness to where it wont fit into a card reader. I understand the whole thing with the graphics, and that is something we will have to work out. What Im really focused on now figuring out how I can take the vinyl cover and apply it perfectly on the credit card without any air bubbles and without it not aligning up correctly.

The video was just to show a method I thought would work for the cover having two backings, but it didnt have anything to do with the covers themselves. We are also doing this for EBT cards, which do not have raised numbers and we have a way of getting the card number on the back. When applied to heat, the vinyl covers will adhere to the raised numbers, so no problem there. Here is a video of someone applying a cover to a card:

[video=youtube;d7_cMk72di8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7_cMk72di8 [/video]

The problem with that is that its extremely difficult to get the card lined up perfectly and you seem to get a lot of air bubbles. Im trying to figure out a better method, so that a person can easily take the cover and wont have any issues applying it to the card. Again any advice is welcomed.

TXFB.INS

you need to use vinyl that has air-channels, this will allow the bubble to be worked out

[video=youtube;k-i0ll8_yDo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-i0ll8_yDo[/video]

JOhnVan

you need to use vinyl that has air-channels, this will allow the bubble to be worked out

[video=youtube;k-i0ll8_yDo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-i0ll8_yDo[/video]

Thanks! any advice on how to align it up easily? Im trying to find an innovative way, as I believe the people Im selling to will want an easy way to get it to fit perfectly on the card.

iSign

just sell 'em complete with a link here, advertising free installation video support from a plethora of graphic professionals, standing by to assist with their 50 cent purchase

Techman

The only way to get the vinyl to line up with the card is to use a jig.
There is no way an end user will have the skills to apply vinyl that would be straight and without bubbles.
Looks like you are chasing a herd of cats.

iSign

on a more serious note, decals with a split back could be a solution for you. If the backing paper had a slit 1/4" from one end, that 1/4" could be peeled first, and by lining up the 90% unpeeled portion, that 1/4" could be stuck first. Then it's on straight. (If this is a more thought business model that has half a chance of success, please enlighten us as to why this matters, and who wants it)

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
LOL pimp your EBT card

That way their EBT card will look like a "normal" debit / credit card. So when they use cash benefits to fund their ________ habit, they won't look like they're milking the system.

I'm all for helping families in need, but when they swipe their EBT for two measly bottles of Mountain Dew, I get a bit miffed.

JB

CES020

I'm all for helping families in need, but when they swipe their EBT for two measly bottles of Mountain Dew, I get a bit miffed.

JB

They need the boost for all that walking around, putting job applications in, interviews, etc. That's hard work and a little Dew helps you through it all :)

s.hack

to get it aligned... maybe make them slightly larger than the credit card? that way you can trim it to an exact fit? shouldn't be too hard following the edge of the card.

danky01

on a more serious note, decals with a split back could be a solution for you. If the backing paper had a slit 1/4" from one end, that 1/4" could be peeled first, and by lining up the 90% unpeeled portion, that 1/4" could be stuck first. Then it's on straight. (If this is a more thought business model that has half a chance of success, please enlighten us as to why this matters, and who wants it)

I'm curious, how would you put the slit in the liner. I would love to he able to do that for some of the decals I have been selling. Would make it much easier for my customers to install the decal.

Thanks for any help.
Danny

catldavis

Isn't having a picture of President Obama on the EBT card in the video apropos.

Someone mentioned a jig and I think that's really the only way to ensure there are no bubbles. My initial comment was going to be how much effort will you put in to a $2 skin but then I went to the website and see they are $9.

The big question is, can they pay for their EBT skin with their EBT card?

Mainframe

The big question is, can they pay for their EBT skin with their EBT card?[/QUOTE]

No they will have to use their cell phone:smile:

JMPrinting

Sorry, this is wrong. I'm too much of a republican to express my comments on this...this falls in with those who can buy iPhones when they get the free Obama minutes...dumb.

Dakotagrafx

site needs work

just 1 minute on the site said enough. if someone has to have assistance buying food why are they wasting money on this product that cost as much as 3 gallons of milk?

WHERE ARE EBT SKIN MAD?

EBT Skin are Made In America at our shop in Portland, Oregon. We make each and every food stamps covers with the highest quality printing and best materials. Our products is gaurantee to last!