• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How To Get "Close" ....FAST!

Geary

My question is what do you guys know about finding a font that's "close enough" in the fastest way possible. In other words, you know the drill, the customer wants some lettering like TODAY and you thumb through your fonts....find out you don't have it...then they say "oh, just get close". Following you are stuck trying to find the one that's closest and in the most expeditious way possible.

Is there a font site, a program, or a method that digitally finds the closest thing to the font you know you want?

Thanks for any suggestions! :thankyou:

~Gear

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Well at whatthefont, it often gives you several choices when you upload a sample, especially when it cannot find a match

Then there's always signs101

jeffr0wland

I think the company is smart designs, but I believe they have a really good font reconition pug in for corel. I saw it demostrated at a show and it was pretty impressive.

Che

YES I have a program called The FONT THING and it helps to find fonts in a very fast way I have over 3,000 fonts on my computer and can find a match within 5 minutes. I can sell you a copy.

GB2

Old Member
I have good success with the font recognition feature of my ImagaroZ. It searches a database of nearly 40,000 fonts plus every font that you have installed. Also, it has a feature that will recognize fonts that have been distorted and it happens to be an excellent vector tracing program. If you like it, let me know and I'll tell you how to get a good deal on it!

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Someone posted a link here to a free site about a week or two ago that did that. I believe it was Doug if memory serves me right...:rolleyes:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I think the company is smart designs, but I believe they have a really good font reconition pug in for corel. I saw it demostrated at a show and it was pretty impressive.

You're talking about FontExpert which i have discussed here many times. It is a free standing program with a database of font images for comparison. It has nothing to do with CorelDRAW.

FontExpert really only matches fonts exactly. Once it misses, it tends to come up with some very strange suggestions.

To find something close you should organize your font library into categories that make sense to you ... or use published classifications. then you can use TypoGraf, Font Navigator, the Font Thing or any number of available font management applications that will allow you to browse through uninstalled fonts.

slappy

YES I have a program called The FONT THING and it helps to find fonts in a very fast way I have over 3,000 fonts on my computer and can find a match within 5 minutes. I can sell you a copy.

wait a minute.......isn't that freeware....i mean freeware is free right?
condamne.gif
exagerefesses.gif

http://www.download.com/The-Font-Thing/3000-2316_4-1519711.html

Last edited:

Geary

Thanks EVERYONE. (except for the guy trying to sell me something that's not his to sell) :tongue:

You all are great! Thanks Fred....again, you are a treasure chest of knowledge and help! :thumb:

Respect,
~Geary

Geary

Thanks Buddy!

Now, if you could point me to a version for MAC..... you'd have something that I would even PAY for!!! LOL....hahahahahahaha :tongue:

~Gear

Last edited:

Replicator

I have found that with ACDSee 9 PhotoManager you can browse through all
of your fonts at one time like looking in a folder of pictures, it works flawlessly !