Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Get "Close" ....FAST!

Discussion in 'Fonts and Typography' started by Geary, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Geary

Geary Very Active Member

My question is what do you guys know about finding a font that's "close enough" in the fastest way possible. In other words, you know the drill, the customer wants some lettering like TODAY and you thumb through your fonts....find out you don't have it...then they say "oh, just get close". Following you are stuck trying to find the one that's closest and in the most expeditious way possible.

Is there a font site, a program, or a method that digitally finds the closest thing to the font you know you want?

Thanks for any suggestions! :thankyou:

~Gear

Tags:
  2. mladams7259

mladams7259 Very Active Member

Sep 7, 2006
    Are you talking about something like whatthefont.com ?

3. Geary

Geary Very Active Member

Perhaps. I don't know.....do they have a feature that allows you to enter a font name and search for the closest one to it (without it actually being THE font)?

~Gear

4. mladams7259

mladams7259 Very Active Member

Sep 7, 2006
  5. The Vector Doctor

The Vector Doctor Very Active Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    Well at whatthefont, it often gives you several choices when you upload a sample, especially when it cannot find a match

Then there's always signs101

6. jeffr0wland

jeffr0wland Member

Nov 21, 2006
    I think the company is smart designs, but I believe they have a really good font reconition pug in for corel. I saw it demostrated at a show and it was pretty impressive.

7. Che

Che New Member

Nov 21, 2006
    YES I have a program called The FONT THING and it helps to find fonts in a very fast way I have over 3,000 fonts on my computer and can find a match within 5 minutes. I can sell you a copy.

8. GB2

GB2 Very Active Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Connecticut, USA
    I have good success with the font recognition feature of my ImagaroZ. It searches a database of nearly 40,000 fonts plus every font that you have installed. Also, it has a feature that will recognize fonts that have been distorted and it happens to be an excellent vector tracing program. If you like it, let me know and I'll tell you how to get a good deal on it!

9. Mike Paul

Mike Paul Major Contributor

Dec 30, 2003
    NJ
    Someone posted a link here to a free site about a week or two ago that did that. I believe it was Doug if memory serves me right...:rolleyes:

10. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    You're talking about FontExpert which i have discussed here many times. It is a free standing program with a database of font images for comparison. It has nothing to do with CorelDRAW.

FontExpert really only matches fonts exactly. Once it misses, it tends to come up with some very strange suggestions.

To find something close you should organize your font library into categories that make sense to you ... or use published classifications. then you can use TypoGraf, Font Navigator, the Font Thing or any number of available font management applications that will allow you to browse through uninstalled fonts.

11. slappy

slappy Very Active Member

May 31, 2005
    Earth

wait a minute.......isn't that freeware....i mean freeware is free right?[​IMG][​IMG]
    http://www.download.com/The-Font-Thing/3000-2316_4-1519711.html

Last edited: Dec 13, 2006
  12. Geary

Geary Very Active Member

Thanks EVERYONE. (except for the guy trying to sell me something that's not his to sell) :tongue:

You all are great! Thanks Fred....again, you are a treasure chest of knowledge and help! :thumb:

Respect,
    ~Geary

13. Buddy

Buddy Member

Dec 2, 2006
    The Font Thing is FREE.....don't pay anyone for it.

We got your back Geary !!

BUDDY

14. Geary

Geary Very Active Member

Thanks Buddy!

Now, if you could point me to a version for MAC..... you'd have something that I would even PAY for!!! LOL....hahahahahahaha :tongue:

~Gear

Last edited: Dec 13, 2006
  15. slappy

May 31, 2005
    Earth
    i posted a link for you above

16. Mike Paul

Mike Paul Major Contributor

Dec 30, 2003
    NJ
  17. Replicator

Replicator Major Contributor

Nov 19, 2006
    Sun City, AZ
    I have found that with ACDSee 9 PhotoManager you can browse through all
    of your fonts at one time like looking in a folder of pictures, it works flawlessly !

18. Geary

Geary Very Active Member

Thank you sweetie....however, this old man is on a Mac....and I don't have the "IntelMac" yet. (Santa's on his way :wink: )

~Gear

19. slappy

May 31, 2005
    Earth
    well i hope you've been good[​IMG]

20. Geary

Geary Very Active Member

Cool deal. Thanks Doc! :wink:

~Gear