• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to handle this.

Mikeifg

I lease shop and office space at a facility that does Tractor Trailer repair work. I also do removals and installs for some of their customers direct not thru them. I do alot of removals and a customer of mine who has 26 tankers to remove decals from wanted a quote. I have done these before and there will be alot of glue removal and it takes 3hrs or less to complete one if everything goes well sometimes it takes longer. Well I submitted my bid and they come back saying that So ans So the place I lease space at and do work for bid the job @ 105.00 WTF. I couldn't believe it I calle d the manager and his explanation was Quote. Uh Uh well we want their trailer work so we bid it low to get the job. This place wanting the removals has their own mechanics and they will never get any more work. So basically they will send 2 guys up a half hr away to do these and loose money on this while under cutting me cheapening the industry and taking work away from me. Any suggestions because I'm ready to beat someones *** on this one.

MHH

dejoh

Are these stainless tankers? Are you removing reflective?
Sounds like a pain in the rump. Everyone's watching their penny's
Be friendly with your neighbors, you have to see em everyday.
Maybe they will leave a ton of glue on em and get in trouble.

Mikeifg

I hope, But yeah they are a pain. No reflective but the back is a sheet of vinyl the 3M stainless steel vinyl and does not like to come off.

J

john1

Sit back and laugh. That's worth more than the money and headache yourself lol

HulkSmash

I agree with john, I'd bid on that job, but i'd love not to get it. They have no idea what they're getting themselves into. Don't be surprised when they call you 4 trucks in asking you to finish the job up.

SignManiac

Part of life is understanding you won't win them all. Focus only on the the ones where you win, and let the rest of the losers focus on losing.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Being in competition with your landlord for work is not a good thing. Seems this should have been addressed before you leased a spot there. Not cool for a landlord to underbid their tenant.

Techman

You handle it by forgetting about losing one job. Then develop your marketing model to fill your niche with more work than you can handle. Let them low ball whores take the beatings.

That one little job will mean nothing in the long run to ryo5ru bottom lione. It will cost the low baller big time as we all know it is not easy to clean a friggin trailer. IT is in fact the main reason I do not do removal on trucks any more for any reason.

skyhigh

I'm glad you feel better.....hell I feel pissed enough for the both of us.

I'm with Rick.....its not cool for a landlord to underbid his tenant. If it were me, I'd be tempted to put up a sign advertising for one of their competitors.

Custom_Grafx

this story reminds me of a recent radio gag where they called up a billboard space phone number, and asked how much for the space? the guy said (i forgot but for example..) $100/week... "what do you wanna advertise?" asked the owner of the space, and the radio guys said "billboard for lease only $150/week".

Sticky Signs

How the hell can your landlord expect you to pay rent if he's underbidding you on jobs? I'd be a little late on next months rent just to prove a point.

boxerbay

$105.00 per truck? how much was your bid?

Honestly, I'd tell them to pick up a couple day laborers and some plastic scrapers. It's not really our favorite thing to be doing.

BUT in your case your landlord is leaching off your advertising dollars. You need to move out and go elsewhere. If not as soon as you begin to get a lot of clients dont be surprised if he begins doing the same type of work. I would if I were him. Just sit back until you build up the flow then buy a printer and cutter and take all the clients. This is the American capitalist way. What you should have done is have a non-compete clause in your lease agreement.

theskipman_98

Wow, is all I can say.

When they get into the job and realize they are going to lose their @$$, make sure you quote 3x's the price.

Mikeifg

I do have a printer and cutter etc... been in the biz for years. I was asked by them to move my shop in, because I was always there doing their customers graphics etc.. And alot of Removals as well. Then they started doing removals copying my methods etc... It's a crappy setup I know and I do alot of work for one of their comp but their business moto is we'll lose money and make it up down the road. They figure they've blown their shop rate but still can cover their employees hourly pay.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Robbing Peter to pay Paul is never a good idea, but it does seem to go along with that loss leader mentality and it works for the most part. I imagine after watching you and their picking your brains for a while, they feel they can do it for cost or even a little below cost and make profit in another area which will more than cover their loses at the removal.

I'd sooner go to them and ask them if they'll start doing your removals and tell them you're going on a vacation...... bye-bye.

Seriously, you have a messed up relationship and I would venture to say... their next move will be to get a printer and some software, hire a guy from someone's shop, pay them well and hope for the best.

I would not give them any information about vendors, machine types or anything. See, this has happened to us many times over the years.

In fact years ago, a very large client of ours was the local hospital and they got quite a bit of work from us every year. Noticed a sudden drop-off and visited them one day and turned out we were only doing the stuff their new in-house sign shop didn't know how to do. Didn't give her much information and a few weeks later, my key guy gave his two week notice. I asked him what he was gonna do and he said oh, I guess go into semi-retirement. What Merlin, at 49 you're gonna retire ?? Yep, I said well, have fun. What about coming in here for some semi-work once in a while. Well, I don't think I can do that, either. Why ?? Well, the Reading Hospital hired me and they have a fantastic benefit program, health insurance and retirement program for when I retire. I thought you said you were semi-retir........ Yeah, in about 12 years. Good luck you can leave now.

It's all around you. There is no loyalty in customers unless they feel they can't get your services anywhere else on earth or are too small to buy $100,000 worth of equipment. They just don't understand.

I'd start looking for another location.... and fast.

Last edited:

boxerbay

I think you missed my point. i meant if I were your landlord - I would just sit back until you build up the client base - traffic - flow then i your landlord would buy a printer and cutter and take all our your - the sub lease's clients. then just break the lease with you or let it run out but not renew. you would be rubbed out and he the landlord would benefit from your work at that location. HELLO.

"i was asked by them to move the shop in." DUDE IT WAS A BOOBIE TRAP GET OUT! you're basically giving them free how to do lessons and now they are taking your clients. You're even saying they'll do it regardless of profit? DUDE HAUL A$$ OUTTA THERE!