• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

how to make big dot halftones??

Marlene

I want to make some large dot halftones for a comic book look. I set the halftones low, classic dot at 15 LPI and it looks normal, not big dots. the lowest it will let me set it is 4 LPI which should be way too large of a dot pattern and still nothing. I set it to process and spot and same results. I have no idea how to do this in Omega anyone know what to set to achieve this? thanks

I want to make some large dot halftones for a comic book look. I set the halftones low, classic dot at 15 LPI and it looks normal, not big dots. the lowest it will let me set it is 4 LPI which should be way too large of a dot pattern and still nothing. I set it to process and spot and same results. I have no idea how to do this in Omega anyone know what to set to achieve this? thanks

I would suggest using Photoshop.

If it is a color image - take each channel into a separate file and convert to bitmap (I'd set the output resolution to 300ppi or better) - it will have a selection for halftone - input your numbers. angles should be:c105y90m75k45

Reinsert them into the original file.

More detail would depend on the file....PM me for more info...

Marlene

I've done this in a past version of Omega when setting the LPI I set it as 7 instead of 75 and had huge dots. not sure if 5.0 allows for that. I can try it in Photoshop but since Omega has the ability to set the number of dots/lines per inch not sure why it is looking as good a 4 as it does at 75 as that makes no sense

I've done this in a past version of Omega when setting the LPI I set it as 7 instead of 75 and had huge dots. not sure if 5.0 allows for that. I can try it in Photoshop but since Omega has the ability to set the number of dots/lines per inch not sure why it is looking as good a 4 as it does at 75 as that makes no sense

What device are you printing to?

Marlene

it will be printed on the Edge. I did a test paper print to see if the screen was off but it came out nice looking when it should have looked like a dotted mess. I can set it up and make my own dot pattern but seems like a low setting should work and didn't

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
So if I got this right, you are trying to get the halftone look
through output? I haven't used an Edge in over 16 years but
I remember the hassle of trying to control the halftone settings...
it was Graphics Advantage at the time.

I would not do it in output (if thats what you are trying to accomplish)

I would look into this....

http://www.misterretro.com/filters/permanent-press

Marlene

I ended up making some dots and making them look like comic book style halftones. I'll have to spend some time now as I did it by mistake a few years back and now can't remember how I did it.

Mosh

In Corel there is a button that does that... under bitmap then mode. you can change the halftone size, shape, angle. I used to use it a lot when I printed shirts.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
The link I posted will do what you need and the output is vector so it will scale.

wayne k
guam usa

Attachments

• marlene.pdf
    255.3 KB · Views: 166

Cyw

I'm a big Rasterbator fan as well. Because they're vector 'circles', there's tons of possibilities

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 141

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.

Omega isn't good for this. It's like trying to cut wood with a screw driver.

Most manual halftones don't actually create circles ... more like pixelated representation of halftone circles.

Illustrator one filter a company made called phantasm which looks like it has a marvelous halftone effect.

But really ... if you are going for a comic book feel ... steal from a master .... Lichtenstein made an entire career using effects of printers on a large scale to create marvelous works of art. Keep in mind, that old school comics never used software to create their halftone effects and as such, halftone patterns were rather flat or simple gradients since it was done on transparencies in the photo separation process.

Mimic that by just making your own halftone pattern ... repeated circles in multiple rows of a square grid. Degree of angle determines the color to create an interesting moire ... for simple color halftones ... 22.5 degree of angle creates a decent halftone and your average 50% gradient is all you need. I attached a vector halftone sheet so you could see what 30%, 50% and 70% halftone would look like and how really easy it is to reproduce. Mine was made with a few vector techniques I know for speed halftones ... so they aren't entirely perfect circles ... but it works for an example.

Attachments

• halftone.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 208
Omega isn't good for this. It's like trying to cut wood with a screw driver.

Most manual halftones don't actually create circles ... more like pixelated representation of halftone circles.

Illustrator one filter a company made called phantasm which looks like it has a marvelous halftone effect.

But really ... if you are going for a comic book feel ... steal from a master .... Lichtenstein made an entire career using effects of printers on a large scale to create marvelous works of art. Keep in mind, that old school comics never used software to create their halftone effects and as such, halftone patterns were rather flat or simple gradients since it was done on transparencies in the photo separation process.

Mimic that by just making your own halftone pattern ... repeated circles in multiple rows of a square grid. Degree of angle determines the color to create an interesting moire ... for simple color halftones ... 22.5 degree of angle creates a decent halftone and your average 50% gradient is all you need. I attached a vector halftone sheet so you could see what 30%, 50% and 70% halftone would look like and how really easy it is to reproduce. Mine was made with a few vector techniques I know for speed halftones ... so they aren't entirely perfect circles ... but it works for an example.

Great suggestion...and suggestions. I would love to see the actual project and solution.
Can OP deliver, please?