• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to mount 1 inch HDU routed sign to 4x4 post

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yowsa, that's really taking a chance. The aluminum backer is a good idea, but at least use some sort of backing piece. Otherwise, some kid will knock it off or break it off just riding by on his bicycle.

Billct2

Yep, definitely need a backer panel of some kind. I'd probably use a piece of .080 since I usually have leftovers.
For a clean look mount screw and glue the 080 to the post and then screw and glue the HDU to the .080, srcews going thru the back of the .080.

stripe52

I take light weight aluminum angle iron, and glue and screw to back of HDU. Place them vertically in position leaving 3-1/2" space for the 4 x 4, then screw thru the angles into the post.

• Agree
Reactions: 2B

bannertime

I take light weight aluminum angle iron, and glue and screw to back of HDU. Place them vertically in position leaving 3-1/2" space for the 4 x 4, then screw thru the angles into the post.

I don't ever work with HDU, so I'm legitimately curious about this. Is HDU sturdy enough that it doesn't need support on the edges? I know it's pretty tough, but I can't help but think some kid ramming a shoulder into it and breaking it in half.

And before some tries to say "that wouldn't happen," I speak from experience that it does happen.

Billct2

Yes, it will snap. That's why this install especially should have a full solid backer of some sort.
But since this is a year old maybe the OP could fill us in on what they did.