Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to mount Aluminum to PVC?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Quad State, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Quad State

Quad State New Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Mound City
    Hello Everyone,

We've recently installed an ESKO cutting table and are starting to work with interior displays. That being said, I'm trying to decide on the best workflow/material for mounting 040 aluminum to PVC. Ideally, I'd like to mount entire sheets and then place them on our ESKO to route out various letters/designs.

What are others using to mount aluminum to PVC? I've seen where some are using a 3M 468 transfer tape but I'm under the impression that a form of epoxy is the way to go when taking into consideration that we'd like to route entire sheets that have already been "married."

Thanks in advance!

Tags:
  2. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I'd imagine 467/8 to be a fine solution, but what is the end goal here? If you are mounting 040 and 1/8 (3mm) pvc and then cutting out whole parts, then why not use an already finished product like omegabond or another ACM?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Glavin_ID

Glavin_ID Member

Aug 1, 2018
    Cleveland, OH
    We use 3M 467 and typically join .040 brushed alum to 1/2" black PVC and it has always worked well with our Colex cutter. Both surfaces are smooth so the thinner 467 works fine, save a couple $$ as opposed to 468 but both will work well. I agree with Burton, if you can get away with 1/8" base material, use an off the shelf ACM. Unfortunately, customers seem to like the 1/2" base material and you can't get an AMC that thick.

4. Quad State

Quad State New Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Mound City
    Thats exactly what we're running into Glavin. The 1/8" stuff just doesn't do it. We've also run into customers having issues with the core material of say "ultraboard" and how it presents as a final product on top of the need for 1/2" - 1" thick finished pieces. PVC is a LOT better for paint as well.

I'll definitely look into the 3M products you both mentioned. One of our vendors also recommended ASI 55420 ADHESIVE.

Thanks again for the input.

5. Devon19515

Devon19515 Member

Jan 12, 2015
    Georgia
    I have wondered how to get them to lay flat with each other during the cure time. Would you need to add another large sheet with weights?

6. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I was about to say this doesn't sound like the best idea.
    If I remember right, 55420 is a very rapidly curing, something like 5-15 minutes working time, and you have to use the mixing nozzle and the $700 gun. Getting all of the glue out of the tube takes a couple of minutes, so by the time you're ready to mount the panel, it will have already started curing. Then you will have a hard time getting an even layer of glue, even if you laminated it back and forth I can't see this working well. You'd be better off with 3m Super 77 or whatever they use to mount formica countertops.
    ASI is pretty cool stuff. I've had signs shipped in (one job in particular) where the fabricator quit halfway through a project, so a whole bunch of parts were glued together instead of welded. We use it to mount frames to thinner aluminum panels or prepainted materials.