• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to mount Aluminum to PVC?

Quad State

Hello Everyone,

We've recently installed an ESKO cutting table and are starting to work with interior displays. That being said, I'm trying to decide on the best workflow/material for mounting 040 aluminum to PVC. Ideally, I'd like to mount entire sheets and then place them on our ESKO to route out various letters/designs.

What are others using to mount aluminum to PVC? I've seen where some are using a 3M 468 transfer tape but I'm under the impression that a form of epoxy is the way to go when taking into consideration that we'd like to route entire sheets that have already been "married."

Thanks in advance!

Glavin_ID

We use 3M 467 and typically join .040 brushed alum to 1/2" black PVC and it has always worked well with our Colex cutter. Both surfaces are smooth so the thinner 467 works fine, save a couple $$ as opposed to 468 but both will work well. I agree with Burton, if you can get away with 1/8" base material, use an off the shelf ACM. Unfortunately, customers seem to like the 1/2" base material and you can't get an AMC that thick.

Quad State

Thats exactly what we're running into Glavin. The 1/8" stuff just doesn't do it. We've also run into customers having issues with the core material of say "ultraboard" and how it presents as a final product on top of the need for 1/2" - 1" thick finished pieces. PVC is a LOT better for paint as well.

I'll definitely look into the 3M products you both mentioned. One of our vendors also recommended ASI 55420 ADHESIVE.

Thanks again for the input.

Devon19515

I have wondered how to get them to lay flat with each other during the cure time. Would you need to add another large sheet with weights?