• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

how to reinstall win xp in a Dell notebook when I never received any discs?

gabagoo

I posted something like this a while back and someone said that the actual software resides somewhere on the c drive. How do you find it or activate it to reinstall. My comp is so slow and screwed up I just want to start fresh.I have backed up everything I need. anyone know how to do this?

jiarby

on a dell you probably received restore disks with it. I can send you an ISO of a Dell OEM XP disk and you can install using the serial# key on the latop. PM me if you need this.

gabagoo

on a dell you probably received restore disks with it. I can send you an ISO of a Dell OEM XP disk and you can install using the serial# key on the latop. PM me if you need this.

thanks dude but my comp came with windows loaded and no disc, although now that you mention it maybe it did. Hmmmm I have to check the box at the office....let you know

imp

Yeah i never liked the way companies have started to do this, they want to make it convenient for you to reinstall all their bloat ware and useless crap.

But if you want to do this it almost always tells you when you turn it on. I had to press f8 or something on another laptop then there was a menu and so on. So just turn it on and read what it says, the problem is that it doesn't give you long to read it. Otherwise just get your model number and look into the manufacturer faqs and support docs.

jzorn

You should be able to order a set from Dell. When ever I buy from dell, the first thing I do when it arrives is order the set of dvd'.

Techman

you make the recovery dvd yourself. Follow the directions and you can make all you want with all your updated software and bloatware removed.

signswi

F5 during boot up (possibly delete), choose recovery partition, should be a wipe and reinstall option or something along those lines.

mark in tx

ctrl and f11 at boot, or just f11 at boot and that should bring up the re-install program.

It will be factory fresh, just like the day you bought it.

gabagoo

F-11 worked!!! The laptop was like new and slowly I will reinstall everything.
First off, I screwed up when doing my backup for I-tunes.....and I was so cautious especially about those files, but I absolutley forgot about backing up any music I manually burned as it is in a directory that I-tunes creates. Thats a real piss off because it will effect every playlist somehow. Hopefully I backed those files up months ago, I just need to search all my external hard drives.

I'm glad I reinstalled windows because the comp was lagging and there were far to many orphan files to the point where I could not even uninstall certain softwares. It's good to have a clean FAST running pc again...until I tried loading AVG. For all these years I have always had the free version but with a new setup I had to redownload and you only get 30 day trial, and thats fine, but the moment it finished downloading the computer turned right back into the slow pig that it was. Maybe not quite as bad but opening the internet meant once again waiting and waiting for sites to open. I think AVG basically scans all the sites before it will allow you in.
I want to get rid of AVG but what alternative is there?

Any one have any good non controlling virus software that they like?
I need to try something new

sfr table hockey

My internet became real slow and it may have been after an update on AVG or somethng else. I was not sure what it might be as all 3 computers were slow and all on the same router. Even the one that did not have AVG was slow so I sort of ruled out AVG and unplugged the router and the other DSL box for a min. and powered back up and all was back to normal.

If your laptop was the only slow computer then that most likely won't fix anything.

signrios

what happens if the hd fried? one wouldn't be able to access the restore files?
i know this cause sony made me buy the restore disks a year ago.