Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to screen-print on glass

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by arzu, Dec 30, 2013.

1. arzu

arzu Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Printing on glass using screenprinting:

There are kinds of ink which attach to glass nicely, even paper-ink.
    However, try to put it in a bucket filled with water and see if the next day you picture is still on the glass.
    For quite a while we used a well-looking ink on a glass, but when we tried the water-test when a supplier told us, and I was in shock.. Lucky for us it was an indoor purpose...

this is the way to get it fixed
    1-find the glass-topside by dripping water on it. Use the side where the drop spreads best.
    2-screenprint with 2-component inkt (e.g. TCI8700 ink with glass-hardener)
    3 -heat it up to 140 deg half an hour (if the object fits in your oven) .
    The above gives the best results as far as I know.
    Better is to use ceramic ink, but than you need a special oven (high temp)

By the way I do not know how UV ink attaches to glass (and if it can withstand washing machines). We simply never tried, and we do not have a flatbed printer (yet)

Tags:
  2. studio 440

studio 440 Member

Jul 19, 2010
    cali
    Nazdar

3. ChicagoGraphics

ChicagoGraphics Major Contributor

Feb 27, 2007
    World
    Years ago we use to screen print onto glass storefront windows using Nazdar 7900 series inks and they held up for years.

4. TammieH

TammieH Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Pacific NW
    We use to use Nazdar 5900 Enamel, don't over thin it

Its pretty much the same as using One Shot Enamel

5. arzu

arzu Member

Dec 29, 2013
    i thinkt the nazdar inks might be about the same quality als the visprox TCI8700. We use this ink for many purposes. However sometimes it gets tricky. When e.g. printing on chrome, on (closed) anodized aluminum, and other difficult substrates we sometimes struggle. In most cases TCI works with some additive. Anyway, whenever I get problems, i could try Nazdar also.
    By the way it always helps to heat the products up to 150 deg celcius after printing. (if the material can handle these temps of course)

6. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    Glass is made by pouring it onto a molten tank of metal. The metal side has contaminates. The air side is cleaner.

7. FireSprint.com

FireSprint.com Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing

Interesting post. We have never tried. I am curious now if our UV inks would stick to glass.