• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to strip emulsion?

Flame

Alright, so been screen printing a bit here and I want to reclaim a lot of my screens. Problem is, this emulsion remover I bought is junk. I it simply doesn't do much at all.

So curious,,,, any tricks/tips on how to remove harden emulsion on screens? The bleach/water solution trick doesn't work, soapy water doesn't work, and the emulsion remover doesn't do much....

I don't care if it takes a blowtorch, pressure washer and a bucket of solvent... just need some tips on how to strip this emulsion from the screens as I have 10 screens I need to clean out. and google hasn't given me a good answer yet...

Appreciate it!!!

G-Artist

For starters, please tell us what type of emulsion you are using.

As to bleach. For the old diazo type emulsions lots of old-timers (they were frugal) did use bleach but not the household kind. They purchased industrial strength stuff which starts out abut 12%. Think liquid pool bleach from HD or Lowe's as a start. Or powdered bleach and mix your own. After softening and brushing well, you definitely need a pressure washer to get screens clean. Even there is can be hit or miss via bleach.

After the first clean, get rid of the stubborn stuff with haze paste remover. Be sure to wear protective eye gear.

I stopped using scoop coat stuff many years ago. PITA. CDF-4 only for regular screens (non-textile) and their remover works as advertised. We still follow up with haze paste because of some of the agressive inks we use.

Idea Design

I use Ulano QTX exclusively, and have been using bleach as a stripper the entire time. Most people frown upon this method, but combine regular cheap-ass generic wally brand bleach with an 1800psi pressure washer and a booth, I can reclaim screens all day.

What emulsion are you using?

reximages

I bought 80 old screens for a buck a piece a couple years ago from a retired lawyer that had someone burn images of shields and what not. Some of those screens were never used for printing ... they just had the images burned on them ready for printing. I believe this attorney had "illusions of grandeure" on a side project he had planned that never worked out.

Anyway, being ten years or so old, those screens (used and unused), washed out clean with KIWO stencil remover, some "elbow grease" using a quarter inch scouring pad and a 1500 psi electric pressure washer. They were 110 and 160 mesh. What do those screens cost new? $21 ... $25.

It is always nice to use a brand new screen every job that comes up, but, we have to reclaim alot of 'em.

Rex

intense_design

Take them to a car wash and pressure wash them.. hold the deal close if you are having trouble with emulsion coming out. I have a scolding hot water pressure washer i don't even use emulsion remover anymore! 15 minutes to do 10 screens.. vs. probably 20 minutes per screen scrubbing with remover!

Vital Designs

Vital Designs
Get a concentrated emulsion remover and mix it in a tub large enough to dip the screen in. Leave them soaked for 20 mins and it should come right of. We use ulano qx1 emulsion and have no issues...

tomence

http://www.ccidom.com/products.php?product=ER{47}35®-EMULSION-REMOVER

That is a link for emulsion remover from cci chemicals consultants, it is the best so far emuslion remover that i have used and a friend of mine he is distributors for them i can hook you up with a good price. PM if interested.
Also they make chemicals for cleaning ink on screen, if you want to change different ink without burning new screen, they make all the chemicals for whatever you need to do about screen printing. They are enviromental friendly as well.

Cadmn

Flame be very careful mixing chemicals on a screen to remove emulsion, wife once mixed up chlorine gas using a remover & bleach she almost passed out, that was deadly gas. sick for about 3 days it was BAAAD

imagep

I suspect the problem may be that the emulsion is so old. When we first started screen printing it was almost impossible to remove emulsion from the screens that came with our equipment (been coated for years). I can totally reclaim a large fresh screen in 7 minutes (including removing ink and dehazing) - smaller screens take less time.

Another possible problem is that once an emulsion remover has been applied to a screen, if it is reclaimed before the remover dries the emulsion hardens and becomes extremely difficult to reclaim. I once had an employee who had a habit of spraying the screens with remover, and then going to the restroom or taking a smoke break - doesn't work that way, you have to apply the emultion remover and reclaim within a minute or two - it only takes abut a minute for a good emultion remover to fully work. The emultion should just run off the screen with a bare minimum of work with the pressure washer.

You could try Franmar Dehaze - it will actually loosen locked in emultion although that is not the purpose it is sold for. It wont come off as easily as a fresh screen and emulsion remover, but it will come off with some pressure washing.

I am not big on dip tanks. I purchased an oversized dip tank several years ago and found that our chemical expenses went way up. The only purpose of a dip tank is to apply the chemicals, I can actually apply faster and with less waste by spraying it own with a spray bottle. I have never understood why people say to let the screen soak for X minutes. Our emultion almost drips off by itself in just a minute or so. If someone is having to let the screen soak for 5-20 minutes, something is wrong with the chemistry.

The brand of the emulsion does matter. One of the reasons that we use Chromablue is because it washes out so easily. We have tried other brands that did not reclaim as easily.

Also, we just buy the raw chemical and mix our own remover. That way we only spend something like 50¢ per gallon instead of $20 per gallon. Works just as good and a very small fraction of the cost of a premixed remover.

Last edited:

Marlene

try a pressure washer. I used to work at Rossignol screen printing skiis and then used to screen print signs. in both cases I've had a wash bin for the screen with a pressure washer.

Flame

You guys are awesome, lots of great advice. Found oven cleaner didn't do much, bleach did a lil better, about the same as the emulsion remover I had been using. Used a 1600psi pressure washer and finally got my screens clean! Couldn't have done it without the pressure washer though for sure.

Appreciate it guys. :)

tomence

I will say this again get the things from cci chemicals consultants no matter how old the emulsion is this thing works, i use it daily and also i have striped screens that were year left with emulsion on it. And definitely you need a pressure washer. This chemicals are like i said very human friendly no hard chemicals in it. There is a package that sells i think for about 80 or 100 dollars and includes, emulsion strip fluid, ink cleaner, ink wipe, ghost remover and screen clean. Also you get few scrub pads. This kit will last you for like 100 screens.

G-Artist

I will never use scrub pads again. When they fray/fall apart, whatever, they leave tiny fibers in the mesh that you'll never get out.

I bought a few nylon medium/soft bristle scrub brushes from a janitorial supply house and I have had them for years. Bristles that may fall off (rare) are long and easy to pick off or wash away.

tomence

I don't know about you, but i have used the scrub pads that come with this chemicals for over 4 years with no problem. Never had a problem with cleaning screans, ink or ghost images, and my screens are always clean. I mean yes you have to replace to scrub pads once they are worn out like every other one.

Flame

You guys are awesome, lots of great advice. Found oven cleaner didn't do much, bleach did a lil better, about the same as the emulsion remover I had been using. Used a 1600psi pressure washer and finally got my screens clean! Couldn't have done it without the pressure washer though for sure.

Appreciate it guys. :)