• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to talk to unhappy employee’s.

Stacey K

I like making signs
A bit late to this party but, as a past employee, just pull the person aside and ask them in a private, comfortable setting. Some people are private about personal issues, and some hesitant to talk about work issues.

Even if you don't get a definate answer, be sure to tell him he is valued and appreciated. Be prepared to listen and not talk, especially if it's a personal issue.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
A bit late to this party but, as a past employee, just pull the person aside and ask them in a private, comfortable setting. Some people are private about personal issues, and some hesitant to talk about work issues.

Even if you don't get a definate answer, be sure to tell him he is valued and appreciated. Be prepared to listen and not talk, especially if it's a personal issue.

As much as I agree with you, ya hafta be real careful about that kinda crap. With the mentality of people today, that could end in a harassment suit.

About 27 or 8 years ago, we had an employee who was, well, if I'm not politically correct, I apologize, but I need to set the scene.

Imagine it.... it was 1996. It was female, obesely overweight, not at all friendly, and very stubborn. She would not do anything I asked after about 2 weeks of working here. Nobody else would work with her for various reasons. I finally approached her and said, I'd like to talk with you. She said no. I asked her why not ?? She said, I don't know what you're gonna do. I repeated, I want to talk with you. No. So, I did it in front of two other people and I'm glad I did. She accused me of sexual abusing her, firing her and being condescending towards her, routinely. I asked her how do you figure any of that, when you refused to talk with me ?? We were about 10 feet apart, cause something in the back of my head said..... don't openly approach her. She continued saying, so you fired me ?? Nope, but you will be disciplined for insubordination, if you're not careful on several counts. You won't do anything I ask, you talk back and argue with me and others, you don't follow any rules and you're just not nice to be around. She said....... so, you're firing me. Nope. You are not fired, but if you don't work, I won't pay you either. She sat in her chair the rest of the day and didn't move. At 5, she got up and walked out. As I had figured, I got a notice of unemployment compensation for firing her. I fought it and won. I knew that's all she wanted. She just was a lazy _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ person. Fill in your own blanks. Without having other employees around, I probably would've lost that case.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
As much as I agree with you, ya hafta be real careful about that kinda crap. With the mentality of people today, that could end in a harassment suit.

About 27 or 8 years ago, we had an employee who was, well, if I'm not politically correct, I apologize, but I need to set the scene.

Imagine it.... it was 1996. It was female, obesely overweight, not at all friendly, and very stubborn. She would not do anything I asked after about 2 weeks of working here. Nobody else would work with her for various reasons. I finally approached her and said, I'd like to talk with you. She said no. I asked her why not ?? She said, I don't know what you're gonna do. I repeated, I want to talk with you. No. So, I did it in front of two other people and I'm glad I did. She accused me of sexual abusing her, firing her and being condescending towards her, routinely. I asked her how do you figure any of that, when you refused to talk with me ?? We were about 10 feet apart, cause something in the back of my head said..... don't openly approach her. She continued saying, so you fired me ?? Nope, but you will be disciplined for insubordination, if you're not careful on several counts. You won't do anything I ask, you talk back and argue with me and others, you don't follow any rules and you're just not nice to be around. She said....... so, you're firing me. Nope. You are not fired, but if you don't work, I won't pay you either. She sat in her chair the rest of the day and didn't move. At 5, she got up and walked out. As I had figured, I got a notice of unemployment compensation for firing her. I fought it and won. I knew that's all she wanted. She just was a lazy _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ person. Fill in your own blanks. Without having other employees around, I probably would've lost that case.
Most big companies have 2 people in the room when they fire someone.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I'd move Gino to the basement
1676923334912.png

Stacey K

I like making signs
Gino, that's a good point....glad you brought that up.

I'm thinking of my last job where it was all straight women and there would be some cat fights in which our straight female supervisor would talk to each of us privately.

One of my longest male customers said some VERY inappropriate sexual things to me about what I was wearing last month and how the winter was really depressing him, asking how my "boyfriend" was, all this weird stuff about depression, etc. It was HORRIBLY uncomfortable. Thankfully, a customer came in and he left. It takes a bit for me to get shaken up but I was for a few days.

I guess for all involved, there should be someone else there. The OP could be getting in a very uncomfortable situation as well.

Too bad people are so weird these days.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya hafta start carrying and display it on your hip.

I have a 38" louisville slugger at my office door, which anyone can see and I have a rifle with a sight right inside my door and I have a .38 S&W in my top drawer fully loaded with 2 speed rounds. Hope I never hafta use it, but it's about getting there, these days.

JBurton

Signtologist
It was female, obesely overweight, not at all friendly, and very stubborn.
How did this hiring process go exactly? There are two things on that list that would disqualify someone here, though I guess they are two that could be 'hidden' during the interview process.