• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How was this decal made?

Colin

Can someone explain to me the method/process of making this decal that was given to me?:

It is a static cling decal which was reverse printed on clear static cling, and then has a white vinyl backing to give it the white lettering (and I guess to give the colors more punch), but here's the kicker: it was then contour-cut. How'd they do that?

Billct2

That can be done on an Edge. Though just a white flood coat would do the same thing as applying vinyl and wouldn't add the weight.
I'm sure there are many other methods too depending on quantity.

Colin

Upon inspection with a magnifying glass, it was definately digitally printed, and there is a separate layer of white vinyl on the back. (The tacky side of the cling is the side you see & read). Perplexed at how it was contour-cut after the white was layed down on the back of the cling.

:help

petepaz

we do that all the time on our roland machines and no problems
we actually do it both ways-if it is a low quantity we print bkwds on clear static and laminate whte vinyl if it is a large quantity we print on the clear static and silk screen a white flood then put them back in the machine and contour cut

gnatt66

done it a few times...works perfect! i printed on 210 laminate then flooded with white 651..then contour cut. YAY

bigben

Maybe I'm stupid, but I can't see the final result. Maybe I'm missing something. Does someone could post a picture?

Sorry... :banghead:

parrott

We printed 3k of these a few months ago for a local bank. We digitally printed second surface to clear static cling, ran it through the plotter (cut to shape) and then screen printed a white flood back up. When your done, you can weed the excess or leave it (your preference). Pretty easy and very profitable.

Colin

Ahh, I see - just like what we've been talking about, except screen print the white instead of white vinyl.

thewood

We use this method for adhesive decals. But for a static cling, why couldn't you just print on white cling and stick the printed side to the glass?

I've heard anectodal evidence that heavy ink coverage could prevent the cling from "clinging". But we routinely print full-bleed white static cling that is applied print side to glass (you can also apply the back side to glass) with no issues. Occasionally, there will be some ink transfer to the glass over time, but it cleans up easily with glass cleaner.

Prairieboy

This.

I do it all the time with clear vinyl and cling. Print reversed, laminate with white vinyl instead of overlaminate (covering up reg marks with premask or tape, trim out and remove white vinyl) the put it back in the plotter. I was a little unsure at first how the vinyl would act when mounted to the cling, but it works great and allows for more applications.

:thumb:

MikePro

laminating static cling material with vinyl always goes screwy for me... seems like the vinyl wants to curl and pops the cling off the window in a day or two.

do you think screening with white screen printing ink would be a better solution?

edited: lol, saw Colin'safter I posted this. that's good it works!
also noted, static cling material sticks on both sides.

The Equipment Guy

This is the same system I worked out years ago for the Lexedge and 180 adhesive, reverse print on clear lay down roll adhesive, leave the reg marks uncovered, then run through the plotter.

We sold a ton of Edges based on this system. A ton of blades too, lol!

Craig