• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

how would i do this??...speckled flake look

ok, have a client that wants us to put his works graphics on his jeep. his logo is long and is orange and copper. now.....he then says it would be cool is we could add a flake/speckled silver look to the logo, ya know, kinda like the metallic flakes in paint work.....

now i know some illi or photoshop guru could probably do this no problems, but i'm not an illi or ps guru!

so, is it a case of getting a silver flake pattern and adding it in ps or could i even do it in illi? can i get a fill or would i have to create the flake pattern?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
A quick and dirty way to do it would be to print it on reflective material.
The translucency of the ink makes for a nice metallic effect that will flash at night.

wayne k
guam usa

g&eprinting

They do have some metal flake vinyl. Then you'll have to cut each color separate.

Sprinkle some on while laminating.
Awesome effect. Will look like you painted his whole graffic.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/KustomShop/ksflake.aspx

Or spray graphics then laminate.

http://www.rothmetalflake.com/flakes.html

I know there is a cheaper one at auto parts stores. Just can't find it searching the web.
Just make sure it has a clear coat carrier, spray right over graphics and lam.
Awesome look.

I also did one job where I found high resolution flake colors on the web and masked the letters with the flake, looked ok.

Any other suggestions I would love to hear them too.

Surprising they are not making a metal flake laminate.

g&eprinting

Using the high resolution images 2 colors and mask.

sts2.jpg

That's my number,,, Don't wear it out.

wasn't sure if you could get metal flake vinyl..... what would have been a nice way to do idealy is>> print the colored graphic, put a clear material with the metal flake over that, then laminate it the graphic and cut, that way i would get a great effect and protection aswell...

will look into all suggestions guys, appreciate all the info!

Sprinkle some on while laminating.
Awesome effect. Will look like you painted his whole graffic.

yep.....this i am considering trying out also.......

Sticky Signs

Sounds like a neat idea but I can't see metal flakes between your print and lam being a very good idea. Extreme bubbles, silvering and de-lamination come to mind. But than again, I've never tried it myself so who knows...No harm in experimenting.
BTW: there's a terribly evil vinyl company that sells metallic vinyls. Starts with an A. Shhhh.

g&eprinting

I really feel like the easiest way is the spray can clear with flake then lam after.
Cans are like $6 probably will only need 2 and you will have much more control.
Lay down the graphic spray till you feel you got enough flake then laminate.

You can find these at all auto parts stores auto zone pep boys advanced auto.

If you drop to much powder flake in one spot and lam over,,, ruined print and maybe bubbles.

I use spray clears on everything even poster paper with out any problems or any ink bleed with mutoh inks. Dupli-color truck clear. The other ones yellow a little.

I did do a print on clear vinyl and put it on a flaked car and the flakes shined right through. Looked very good.

Honestly you wouldn't have to laminate because you are putting automotive clear on the graphic. What do you think lasts longer , auto grade clear or laminate. You could do it to be safer though.

g&eprinting

Sounds like a neat idea but I can't see metal flakes between your print and lam being a very good idea. Extreme bubbles, silvering and de-lamination come to mind. But than again, I've never tried it myself so who knows...No harm in experimenting.
BTW: there's a terribly evil vinyl company that sells metallic vinyls. Starts with an A. Shhhh.

Ha ha i was just posting as i see this . Yeah would have to be a very fine sprinkle...

I do not see a vinyl larger than 24 inches for flake either..

If you have an airbrush you can spray the powder flakes in while lamming or even use the heat gun and let them blow uniformly onto the graphic while lamming.

g&eprinting

OK had to dig for these.
No lamination!
Installed, cut to size and wiped down then with sprayed Dupli color truck clear coat over.

I used the clear coat because of the abuse these trucks take and how dirty they get and the trees that scratch the sides.

Clear coat much stronger than lam and doesn't mess with the mutoh inks.

First 2 are the before.

100_1596.jpg

100_1603.jpg

100_1721.jpg

100_1722.jpg

100_1723.jpg

100_1725.jpg

100_1726.jpg

All one piece no seams.
Look at that shine.

Flame

Ha ha i was just posting as i see this . Yeah would have to be a very fine sprinkle...

I do not see a vinyl larger than 24 inches for flake either..

If you have an airbrush you can spray the powder flakes in while lamming or even use the heat gun and let them blow uniformly onto the graphic while lamming.

Have you ever tried this? I did as a dumb kid, looks like ****. Cold laminate only looks good when applied over a clean, smooth surface. Flakes are....raised edges. No bueno.

g&eprinting

On a hot lam small amout of stickers. 100 or so 3x6inch. Took a couple of tries too.
Wasn't that bad at all with a light sprinkle from airbrush.
Smallest flake size too.

What were you having bubbles?

Tried again with spray cans was so much easier and much more flake.
The clear evens out the surface but, we didn't lam after the clear spray.

Badger has this little sandblast airbrush (mini sandblaster model 260-3) only $42.
Flakes come out nice with that.

Google for $28 paid $42 for mine a long time ago.
http://www.google.com/products/cata...cS5XTrHgGaLg0QHW3ZSnDA&sqi=2&ved=0CD0Q8gIwBA#

Really good for etching glass or doing decorative mirrors and such and you can use regular vinyl instead of sandblast material cause thing thing is not that strong. It frosts the glass nice though with great control.

Last edited: