• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How would I go about wrapping a water tower?

WhatsYourSign?

I have an opportunity to do a vinyl wrap on a water tower and I'm trying to figure out how that would work logistically.

I'll need to be about 200' in the air so a bucket truck won't be high enough.

Obviously I'll take whatever safety precautions are necessary but I'd like to figure out how to make this work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

visual800

are you sure it needs to be "wrapped"? The world we live in calls everything a wrap nowadays. how large of a decal would this be? We have hand painted a few over our time, which they are fun but it all depends on condition of tower. if you are not used to a lift sub it out

CanuckSigns

most of these are painted, not wrapped, with the viewing distance involved no one will be able to tell the difference.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:..... and yes, I have done some. I don't believe any of mine were 200' in the air, but we were up there for some of them. Again, you come here with your loony ideas and questions and make fun of people laughing at you, because of your ridiculous request(s).​

Any real sign person would use a helicopter and stage setup. In today's world, you can have things brought to you via a drone. They're quite useful.

:banghead:

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
Rappelling / Abseiling is an option.
But you need 2+ guys with ropes experience and vinyl experience.

KMC

Graphic Artist
we did this to ours ....you will make more money in the long run
upload_2019-3-1_8-12-50.png
upload_2019-3-1_8-13-27.png

WhatsYourSign?

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:..... and yes, I have done some. I don't believe any of mine were 200' in the air, but we were up there for some of them. Again, you come here with your loony ideas and questions and make fun of people laughing at you, because of your ridiculous request(s).​

Any real sign person would use a helicopter and stage setup. In today's world, you can have things brought to you via a drone. They're quite useful.

:banghead:

Not making fun of anybody...the responses some leave are the price of admission to asking the crazy questions I have, and I'm fine with that. For every crazy question I ask on here, there's a hundred other jobs we do where I don't need to ask anything.

In a perfect world, I'd have come up as an apprentice and learned a lot of these things from a mentor. However, I bought a sign shop so I'm learning things on the go.

You guys are fun - I don't mind taking my welts to gain knowledge from the collective mind here!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Not making fun of anybody...the responses some leave are the price of admission to asking the crazy questions I have, and I'm fine with that. For every crazy question I ask on here, there's a hundred other jobs we do where I don't need to ask anything.

In a perfect world, I'd have come up as an apprentice and learned a lot of these things from a mentor. However, I bought a sign shop so I'm learning things on the go.

You guys are fun - I don't mind taking my welts to gain knowledge from the collective mind here!

So, by your own words and threads, you've asked around 28 silly questions out of 32. That would mean, since you joined in July of last year using your math, you do over 100 jobs a week. Is that even possible, other than for a huge wholesaler ?? You said it, not me.

equippaint

I don't believe this is the kind of job to learn on, it's a different ball game altogether. The least relevant skill needed here would be the ability to apply the wrap.
Something I look at with large projects or stuff out of our typical scope of work is will my time investment to research and learn a skill (and potential money lost through inefficiency) be something that can be utilized for building another market or doing similar projects. What's the future value? Also, does it fit my current employees or will it require training them or hiring a new crew? If you don't intend to scour the country in search of additional work installing water tower graphics, it would seem to me like a big waste of your time and a huge monetary risk. You could hire the experience but then you'll have a $30+/hr guy weeding vinyl waiting for the next swing stage job to come around.
Eventually you come to terms with turning down jobs that are either too big or too small. It's the prudent thing to do.

DerbyCitySignGuy

So, by your own words and threads, you've asked around 28 silly questions out of 32. That would mean, since you joined in July of last year using your math, you do over 100 jobs a week. Is that even possible, other than for a huge wholesaler ?? You said it, not me.

Gino, why do you feel the need to do this to every single person who asks a question? Unless you deem it "worthy" you go on the attack every time.

What's the point? This is a forum for sharing knowledge. You're making it so people don't want to ask questions. When will you be happy? When no one asks any questions, because everyone is an expert?

bannertime

The issue here is that just by asking, it's already apparent it's out of your abilities. I get it, everyone has to start somewhere, but this is not the job to learn on. You can actually die or worse get someone else killed.

DerbyCitySignGuy

The issue here is that just by asking, it's already apparent it's out of your abilities. I get it, everyone has to start somewhere, but this is not the job to learn on. You can actually die or worse get someone else killed.

The OP already stated they were aware of safety issues and indicated they were considering outsourcing the project already.

"Everyone has to start somewhere, but this might not be the job to learn on, consider outsourcing this and observing," is a reasonable response. "lolololololol" and all the other personal attacks are completely unnecessary and unprofessional.

This isn't SignsPolice101, I'm not sure why Gino and others feel the need to dictate to others what they are and aren't capable of based on a few lines of text.

KMC

Graphic Artist
he probally gets thats its out of his leaque BUT we can help by pointing him in the right direction on what all would/might be required to complete the job
What's the point of that display? I couldn't figure out any of the messages from the close-up picture; from any practical distance the messages would be illegible.

Any reasonable water tower job is probably best accomplished by painting with a brush and roller (and a much simplified design).

believe me it works (and where its located near traffic lights) gets lots of views and the banners are changed out all the time with new content
the digital board for obvious reasons doesn't photo well from a google maps screen shot

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Gino, why do you feel the need to do this to every single person who asks a question? Unless you deem it "worthy" you go on the attack every time.

What's the point? This is a forum for sharing knowledge. You're making it so people don't want to ask questions. When will you be happy? When no one asks any questions, because everyone is an expert?

Perhaps, you misunderstand my view. You see, I'm a capitalist and I enjoy the freedoms which come with it. When someone who doesn't show an ounce of interest or has the care to further themselves by asking questions, I simply shove it right back in their face, in hopes they might try harder, next time. This particular member doesn't wanna further himself or his business, but just bleed the membership dry with 28 stupidly dumb questions from k101. He has never ONCE, come back and say thank you and show how this place has helped him/her..... if at all.

Take you for instance........ why do you feel the need to question me, when you don't agree with ANYTHING I ever say or do ?? Sure, you give a few 'likes' here and there to keep the captain happy, but it's nothing more than lip service on your part. You take every chance you can to either try to make a fool of me, point out political differences or just play some silly game you dreamed up like King of the Mountain. Remember derby, this a a very small sandbox in the game of life here at s101. I'd say maybe a quarter of the people here are sign people..... some good, some very good, some mediocre..... some large, some small, some just starting out, while the majority are either wannabees, gimme, gimmes, hacks, hobbyists, tourists and whatever else comes through those doors. We don't have a wall or gates, so basically anything is allowed in, as long as they pass a little test first and we're left to deal with it. So, why not just deal with it ?? You don't like my comments..... ?? A long time ago, the "ignore" button was introduced and it filters out people like me, but as you and some of your buddies always say..... we're all allowed to participate, huh ??

So, while you go around being 'Hall Monitor', no one else can ?? Is that how it goes ??

Thank you, derby, for allowing me to speak. :notworthy: