Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How would you install this stripe on a transit?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by john1, Sep 5, 2012.

1. john1

john1 Guest

Hey guys, I have a potential install to do on a new Ford Transit Connect.

The install is simple other than this stripe that goes on the side and wraps around the tailgate. It is just below the slider for the door. The side molding and flare have me a bit worried as i want to do a nice install.

What would the best way to go about installing this stripe be? Stripe is 6'x1.25'

Top hinge, Side hinge, wet lay?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. HulkSmash

HulkSmash Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    no, you don't install wraps wet for the love of god.

3. john1

john1 Guest

I didn't really think this was considered a wrap, I honestly have no idea what material will be used as the company is sending me the graphics to install.

4. HulkSmash

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    how about you send an image of the whole van, so i can see it better....
    are you just installing?

5. jfiscus

jfiscus Map Wraster

Apr 2, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    Install the rear panel with a vertical hinge around the door edge area, then lay the top& rear edge area on the door first, slit the door jamb like regular, lightly lift the bottom area back up, install down to the molding, cut around the molding top edge & rear edge slowly as you install it a bit more, then install the bottom area under the molding.

6. ChicagoGraphics

ChicagoGraphics Major Contributor

Feb 27, 2007
    World
    How does a stripe compare to a wrap?

7. OlsonSigns601

OlsonSigns601 Member

Jul 23, 2011
    I would say a 6' x 1' 4" sheet would be close enough to be a wrap.
    Stripe would be small like 6" x 1 1/4"

This would be the perfect job to get a little wrap experience if you have none.
    I would say you could use 751 but then you won't get the wrap experience using something with Air Release and less tack.

8. ProWraps

ProWraps Very Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    has nothing to do with it being a wrap. it has to do with the type of material/s used. grey adhesive material should never be installed wet.

9. JTBoh

JTBoh I sell signage and signage accessories.

Jun 15, 2011
    Clermont, FL
    you still freelancin' John? Or is this for "that other store" to remain nameless lol

10. john1

john1 Guest

Well, They are shipping out the graphics next week to me. I still cannot get an answer as to what material it is but i told them if i get it and it's junk i'll give them a call and they said alright.

I figure it's a win win, either way i am getting paid to install it.

Thanks everyone

11. john1

john1 Guest

:banghead: The mock up photo didn't include these things that are now in the way.

Any idea how these come off and how easily? (door trim part and circle piece)

Thanks!

Attached Files:

12. HulkSmash

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    what's the issue? Install over the trim, and then trim it out.. much easier then ripping it off...
    Circle part most likely won't come off.. just install around it, and come back in the end, and press it close, then trim.

For this one i'd horizontal hinge.. and install up and down rather from the middle out...(left to right)

13. petepaz

petepaz Major Contributor

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    used air release vinyl on this and no problems

Attached Files:

14. john1

john1 Guest

No idea, Comes in tomorrow and i am installing tomorrow as well.

I hope it's not some calendered cut vinyl

Thanks Adam, I hope i don't screw it up :popcorn:

15. john1

john1 Guest

Well, bombed the installation.

Sent oracal 651 calendered for the stripe. Yeah it didn't conform AT ALL to around the pieces sticking up. Only reason i attempted was due to being told to "do your best".

Took a photo of the havoc and emailed my rep who contracted me to do it and he said "Should have put it on no matter how it looked and if they have a issue with it we can go from there"

I told him i am not putting out trash no matter what. If you guys sent cast material it wouldn't have been a issue.

Apparently another contractor is having the same problem on the same vehicle out in Texas due to the 651 vinyl.

Waiting to hear back on how much they are going to take off the final bill beings i didn't install the stripes, well i did i just didn't leave them on there.

16. HulkSmash

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    pics? :wink:

17. slappy

slappy Very Active Member

May 31, 2005
    Earth
    I hope you don't screw up either... kinda hard to replace material that's being sent to you.

18. SightLine

SightLine Very Active Member

If the circle part (door holder magnet) is like on the Sprinters you just grab the entire thing and unscrew it, on for the part on the sides, to remove the other half on the doors you have to remove the door panels inside to access a nut. Never tried removing one on a transit myself.

19. john1

john1 Guest

man, this stuff sucked so bad. It was masked and all.

You can see how great a masked calendered stripe works on this application

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      44.5 KB
      Views:
  20. john1

john1 Guest

Yep!

The photo is a birds eye type shot of the masked stripe laying over the hard plastic piece on the door.