• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How would you install this stripe on a transit?

J

john1

Hey guys, I have a potential install to do on a new Ford Transit Connect.

The install is simple other than this stripe that goes on the side and wraps around the tailgate. It is just below the slider for the door. The side molding and flare have me a bit worried as i want to do a nice install.

What would the best way to go about installing this stripe be? Stripe is 6'x1.25'

Top hinge, Side hinge, wet lay?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 94
J

john1

no, you don't install wraps wet for the love of god.

I didn't really think this was considered a wrap, I honestly have no idea what material will be used as the company is sending me the graphics to install.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Install the rear panel with a vertical hinge around the door edge area, then lay the top& rear edge area on the door first, slit the door jamb like regular, lightly lift the bottom area back up, install down to the molding, cut around the molding top edge & rear edge slowly as you install it a bit more, then install the bottom area under the molding.

OlsonSigns601

I would say a 6' x 1' 4" sheet would be close enough to be a wrap.
Stripe would be small like 6" x 1 1/4"

This would be the perfect job to get a little wrap experience if you have none.
I would say you could use 751 but then you won't get the wrap experience using something with Air Release and less tack.

ProWraps

I didn't really think this was considered a wrap, I honestly have no idea what material will be used as the company is sending me the graphics to install.

has nothing to do with it being a wrap. it has to do with the type of material/s used. grey adhesive material should never be installed wet.

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
you still freelancin' John? Or is this for "that other store" to remain nameless lol

J

john1

Well, They are shipping out the graphics next week to me. I still cannot get an answer as to what material it is but i told them if i get it and it's junk i'll give them a call and they said alright.

I figure it's a win win, either way i am getting paid to install it.

Thanks everyone

J

john1

:banghead: The mock up photo didn't include these things that are now in the way.

Any idea how these come off and how easily? (door trim part and circle piece)

Thanks!

Attachments

• Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 75

HulkSmash

:banghead: The mock up photo didn't include these things that are now in the way.

Any idea how these come off and how easily? (door trim part and circle piece)

Thanks!

what's the issue? Install over the trim, and then trim it out.. much easier then ripping it off...
Circle part most likely won't come off.. just install around it, and come back in the end, and press it close, then trim.

For this one i'd horizontal hinge.. and install up and down rather from the middle out...(left to right)

J

john1

What kind of material is it finally? If it's air-release it won't be that much work to work around them.

No idea, Comes in tomorrow and i am installing tomorrow as well.

I hope it's not some calendered cut vinyl

Thanks Adam, I hope i don't screw it up :popcorn:

J

john1

Well, bombed the installation.

Sent oracal 651 calendered for the stripe. Yeah it didn't conform AT ALL to around the pieces sticking up. Only reason i attempted was due to being told to "do your best".

Took a photo of the havoc and emailed my rep who contracted me to do it and he said "Should have put it on no matter how it looked and if they have a issue with it we can go from there"

I told him i am not putting out trash no matter what. If you guys sent cast material it wouldn't have been a issue.

Apparently another contractor is having the same problem on the same vehicle out in Texas due to the 651 vinyl.

Waiting to hear back on how much they are going to take off the final bill beings i didn't install the stripes, well i did i just didn't leave them on there.

HulkSmash

pics? :wink:

Well, bombed the installation.

Sent oracal 651 calendered for the stripe. Yeah it didn't conform AT ALL to around the pieces sticking up. Only reason i attempted was due to being told to "do your best".

Took a photo of the havoc and emailed my rep who contracted me to do it and he said "Should have put it on no matter how it looked and if they have a issue with it we can go from there"

I told him i am not putting out trash no matter what. If you guys sent cast material it wouldn't have been a issue.

Apparently another contractor is having the same problem on the same vehicle out in Texas due to the 651 vinyl.

Waiting to hear back on how much they are going to take off the final bill beings i didn't install the stripes, well i did i just didn't leave them on there.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
If the circle part (door holder magnet) is like on the Sprinters you just grab the entire thing and unscrew it, on for the part on the sides, to remove the other half on the doors you have to remove the door panels inside to access a nut. Never tried removing one on a transit myself.

J

john1

Not sure what that is in the pic....? But I hear ya...nothing worse than quoting on an install job and being sent crap vinyl.

I'm bidding on a job right now and the client keeps insisting that they are supplying a material made by MMM but the product name/number doesn't even exist. Mmmmmph.

Yep!

The photo is a birds eye type shot of the masked stripe laying over the hard plastic piece on the door.