• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How Would You Install This?

filteredsoul

Large Format Graphics
I have a customer with an outdoor building that is new (meaning under warranty still) and they want a 6x9-ish flat sign mounted on it. The building manager for the complex says "no screws in the exterior"... which is stucco.
So, I'm thinking my options are construction adhesive or VHB tape??? Those were the bldg. mgr's ideas.
I'm not sure if VHB even sticks to stucco, and would that even be a viable way to mount a 6x9 sign on a building? I get the construction adhesive idea, but to me that would completely ruin the exterior way more than leaving a few holes that can be patched once the sign gets removed/replaced... which should be not for a long time.
What would you do?

I'm already thinking... make it as light as possible so 1/8 PVC? 3ml Poly Metal? .080 Styrene? I even thought of painting it but they said no to that due to the "not smooth" surface of the stucco.

...and don't even ask me how I'm going to install it as I haven't gotten to that yet either.
See photo below:
example.jpg

Gino

Premium Subscriber
For a sign that size, if they want to instruct you on how to mount it and restrict your normal installation procedures, then tell them to mount it cause you can't do it and still follow code(s). No one in their right mind would use anything other than some sorta physical fasteners. French cleat, screws, battens, etc.....

How on earth are those lights mounted to the walls ?? Tape ?? What do you think is holding up that canopy ?? Chewing gum ??

If they won't mount, walk away if they won't let you do your job correctly. They are setting you up for a failure. How are you going to apply for a permit and say.... I'm gonna glue 54sq ft of sign to a stucco wall.... Okay ??

1/8" PVC.... stryene, do you realize how much that will warp all over the place ?? It'll look like a waffle up there before summer starts. 3mm ACM will most likely puff up, too. You need something substantial over that kinda span. How will you treat the seams ??

Johnny Best

They just probably don't want to see any hardware, so you have to blind hang it with cleats so no screws or hardware shows.
Like Gino said, those awnings attached to frames have lags and bolts or concrete screws holding them up.

Starter

100% agree with Gino. Some things are just not possible. If you want to sleep at night and not hurt/kill someone .....use the proper mounting method which in this case are mechanical fasteners.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I would either:

1.) Use brackets, painted to match, off the mullions (to carry the weight) and then use a combination of VHB (yes, it will adhere) and Lexel to keep it adhered to the wall.

or

2.) I'd leave them the sign and let them worry about the installation and liability.

No way I would install anything that large without some sort of mechanical attachment. And yes, if you use option 1, if they ever remove it, there's going to be more damage from the Lexel then there would be from a few mechanical anchors. Regardless, the wall is going to have to be patched and painted.

Bradley Signs

Bradley Signs
Glue? If it's not a mechanical fastener of some type, walk away! After all the years of being in this trade, there are many more customers out there! Losing one is like not ever having them in the first place! CYA!

petepaz

you can make an aluminum tube frame (1" sq. tubing) then mount with L brackets but in the inside of the frame and then mount the sign to the frame with rivets and you won't see the mounting hardware. and 100% what everyone else said "you can't do the job with out screwing something in to the building"

and Gino..... What do you think is holding up that canopy ?? Chewing gum ??

:roflmao:

Billct2

They are probably worried about the warranty on the material, which is probably drivet, stucco over foam panel, an absolute PITA for installations.
And their brilliant idea for glue and tape would absolutely ruin the wall- way more than a few mechanical fasteners. The only safe and logical method
is to the fasten the sign with some hardware, whatever the particular style of mounting doesn't matter. The big question is what is under the stucco to fasten to
and where is it? This is the idiocy of commercial buildings that don't plan for signs.

Last edited:

spectrum maine

dont do it. who got permission for the awnings? dri-vit sucks to work with anyway. if it were my job. i would paint it on the wall. just get some fitch brushes & do it old school. 1 day all labor.

AKwrapguy

Do they already have the sign produced, and they have come to you to install it? Or are they looking at you to producing the sign? Can you print it and apply it, maybe use a concrete wrap material? No screws and you could get it done in a day.

visual800

make sure you scuff the back of the sign good and clean it. I would place 2 long screws thru the sign with silicone "dots" on other places, that sign will hang just fine. Silicone will hold anything to a wall just dont over silicone it. IF the owner absolutely refuses any hardware thru or in, just abort the job and move on

filteredsoul

Large Format Graphics
You guys are awesome!
I agree with all of you. Just looking to see if there is a new method that I wasn't aware of... and THERE IS!!!
We're either going to hire two guys to hold it up there, or rent a kid with a big drone to hover this hanging sign in front of that wall.

Thank you for all your effort.

This is a huge account for us so I can't just pass on it, but we'll have to have a serious talk about what their options really are.

WrapGuy10

What about an outdoor snap frame? I use them pretty often. Obviously it still requires hardware but there will be zero screws showing. Just acrylic substrate and vinyl on top? I've done tons like that for a specific shopping center that requires that exact setup.

VectorG

I have a customer with an outdoor building that is new (meaning under warranty still) and they want a 6x9-ish flat sign mounted on it. The building manager for the complex says "no screws in the exterior"... which is stucco.
So, I'm thinking my options are construction adhesive or VHB tape??? Those were the bldg. mgr's ideas.
I'm not sure if VHB even sticks to stucco, and would that even be a viable way to mount a 6x9 sign on a building? I get the construction adhesive idea, but to me that would completely ruin the exterior way more than leaving a few holes that can be patched once the sign gets removed/replaced... which should be not for a long time.
What would you do?

I'm already thinking... make it as light as possible so 1/8 PVC? 3ml Poly Metal? .080 Styrene? I even thought of painting it but they said no to that due to the "not smooth" surface of the stucco.

...and don't even ask me how I'm going to install it as I haven't gotten to that yet either.
See photo below:
View attachment 127446
Have you thought about using a self adhesive wall wrap vinyl and sticking directly to the building like Mactac WW100 PRO? that way you wouldn't need any fixings whatsoever?
Building front decoration

I think you should look at doing the sign in Styrofoam, this you can glue to the wall with PL400 its building construction Glue, lets say with this glue its the wall or the sign that breaks not the glue.

What about an outdoor snap frame? I use them pretty often. Obviously it still requires hardware but there will be zero screws showing. Just acrylic substrate and vinyl on top? I've done tons like that for a specific shopping center that requires that exact setup.
I think the problem was that you are not allowed to put screws in the wall, dont think it matter if they show or not.

dale911

President
I like the idea of the wall wrap. That's and outside the box solution to the problem. When the OP said he had to mount a sign, I'm sure many of us were thinking "how do we attach this?" but given the parameters, the solution is "no sign at all, it's a wrap." The wrap should outlast the building warranty until they "allow screws" anyway. Great idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk