Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How would you make these signs?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Malkin, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Malkin

Malkin Very Active Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Augusta, ME
    Just got an order for 25 more of these (did just 5 before).

24" x 30' x .080" aluminum blanks coming from Grimco. We used vinyl letters before (cast, Gerber 220 series). This time I am considering using solvent printed with lamination instead. We keep IJ180c v3 with 8518 lam on hand, so that is what I would use. Our requirements are that the signs be long lasting, so no calendared vinyl.

I am interested in hearing how others would approach this fairly typical sign job.

Thanks,
    -Ted

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. Circleville Signs

Circleville Signs Very Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Circleville, OH
    Digital print all the way. Lam, apply, done. Way faster (and therefore cheaper) than doing cut vinyl. I'd do it full bleed, one piece.

3. steve b

steve b Active Member

Feb 22, 2007
    Wouldn't cast vinyl last longer than a print??

4. royster13

royster13 Very Active Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Montrose BC
    Screen printing?.....

5. d fleming

d fleming Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    For 25 I would screenprint. Better wear and tear than digital.

6. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    That eliminates digital printing right there.

At 25 signs you probably should look at screen printing. If you can't find a merchant here to print .080 get a price from Grimco. Most people don't know that Grimco does custom printing and their prices are pretty reasonable.

Or you can do them in vinyl.

7. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    We'd either screen them or flatbed print them.

We're starting to flatbed print things that we once screened to save time and money.

We're doing a job right now for 50 signs-double sided one color and it's actually cheaper for us to print then screen it and we offer both in-house.

It might not last quite as long, but nothing anymore today is expected to last more than five years.

8. Malkin

Feb 11, 2009
    Augusta, ME
    I should have been more specific with the longevity. We would expect the signs to last 5 years with minimal damage from exposure. Anything past that would just be bonus. So I would just want the best method to achieve that goal.

Thanks for the recommendations so far.

Pat: What is the usual lifespan for eco-solvent digital printing (using a cast vinyl & lam)? I do realize it's going to vary a lot, but how long do you bank on it lasting?
    Also what about a worst case scenario: Full color print facing south (gets the most sun around here) with no shade.

Thanks in advance.

9. luggnut

luggnut Very Active Member

i have had considerable fading on a wrap i did within 3 years.. it was 3m180c with the 8518, solvent print (megaink). i was shocked when i saw the van those 2-3 years later and how it had obviously faded. but i also have signs with 3651 and 210 that have been going on for 4-5 years and still look good. i guess the sun exposure and the colors in the print (type of ink) all play a factor in longevity?

i usually say prints last 3-5 years to customers....

if i thought i would catch grief if these didn't last at least 5 years i would have them screened or cast cut vinyl.

10. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    Price it to them both ways and let them know what to expect from each.

I'd expect digital to last 3 years before noticeable fading, 5 years before they looked like they needed to be replaced.

Using a good cast vinyl I'd expect a MINIMUM of 8 years before you'd have even minor issues.

Screen printing will depend a lot on the inks but most of the signs we've printed are holding up longer than the aluminum. Once the baked enamel finish starts chalking it's all downhill from there. I've got a group of parking signs right up the street that we screenprinted in 1995. The printing still looks good but the white background is deteriorating and "staining" the printing as it washes off.

11. uneedasign

uneedasign Active Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Palm Desert CA
    Screen print

12. CheapVehicleWrap

CheapVehicleWrap Very Active Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Isn't 5 years forever nowadays..really?

13. bayshorecreations

bayshorecreations Very Active Member

Jun 15, 2007
    NJ
    My personal feeling on this, if you did it with cast cut vinyl for the first few that you did for the customer that is what they are expecting for the rest of them. If you do choose to do it a different way I would be sure to let them know first and also let them know that there may be a slight color difference from the first bunch you did for them.

14. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    Do them in calendered.
    They only have to last until Dec 2012

wayne k
    guam usa

I'd print an order of that size on cast - with a cast lam.

15. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    + on screen printing.

16. Malkin

Feb 11, 2009
    Augusta, ME
    Thanks all for chiming in.

Because this customer (local VA) doesn't seem to fussy on details, I'll seriously consider screenprinting. The 150 sq ft of digital printing adds up cost wise, I'll bet the screened cost will be pretty reasonable & possibly last longer as well.

Also we are getting a little busier and I could make better use of my time.

17. Mike Paul

Mike Paul Major Contributor

Dec 30, 2003
    NJ
    I'd probably blow them out in vinyl but would check the outsource price for screen printing.

18. redline graphics

redline graphics Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Winnipeg
    Just the time it takes to post this and read the comments they could have been done in vinyl. Maybe screen be less but if you dont do it in house, how much time and $ do you really save? 25 signs? 1-2 hours cut, installed, invoiced.

Just my .o2 cents

19. pointjockey

pointjockey Member

Nov 18, 2009
    as long as the customer gets whats he is expecting, I would produce them in the method that would yield me the most dollars....I'm liking Screen Printing. I would also let the customer know that he would get a nice price break at 50 signs instead of 25.

20. johnnysigns

johnnysigns Very Active Member

Nov 3, 2004
    East Coast
    I'd do cut vinyl if it were me probably. All the setup for screen printing (25) is pretty high. If I didn't care how long they lasted I'd just do them on a UV flatbed.