• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Howdy from Missouri

redscooter

Welcome from Texas!

My boss was still using Casmate until this year. He was forced to switch because his computer crapped out and it just wasn't compatible with the new machine. It only took him about a week to get used to Flexi, and he is 69 years old and not very tech savvy. But I must say if I were to choose the shop setup I would get one of the new Graphtecs that cut directly from Illustrator, and ditch Flexi because it is just so buggy.

We have a Mutoh printer for those few jobs that require full color, but most of our customers still prefer cut vinyl because it's cheaper and faster. Personally I would recommend staying away from such a large investment right away. We have had repeated problems with ours that are mostly because it doesn't see enough use. The technicians tell us the worst thing you can do to a solvent printer is let it sit idle for more than one or two days. I would start off outsourcing your print jobs until you build up enough regular business to do it yourself. Print up a banner to let customers know you now offer that service, but don't spend thousands of dollars on a printer until you know you will be able to use it at least every other business day.

You might also look into finding a supplier that offers printing classes. The place we bought our printer from 5 years ago still offers free training, and we took them up on it this fall. In a long one-day session we learned tons of useful things about printer maintenance, and at least half the session was just answering our (customers') questions. Just from the problems they solved by answering our questions that day we have saved hundreds of dollars because we fixed things ourselves rather than calling the $300-an-hour people.

Ken

Welcome from BC...If you are looking into digital printing, I'm gonna suggest the Versacamm coupled with CorelDraw..works for me..Good luck..Ken

iSign

welcome from Maui!

I have a Mimaki and love it, but I have to agree with redscooter... it may be too much machine for you right now, because it requires almost daily maintenance, and should get used a lot. I've heard the versacams are not nearly as dependant on attention.

I don't think your belief that the Mimaki will benefit you from ink versatility is correct, because you would have to flush the machine to change inks. With $300 - $700 worth of ink in there at any time... you won't want to do that very often, even if there were no labor costs as well, although I'd expect there would be.

SignsInTime

welcome from Maui!

I have a Mimaki and love it, but I have to agree with redscooter... it may be too much machine for you right now, because it requires almost daily maintenance, and should get used a lot. I've heard the versacams are not nearly as dependant on attention.

I don't think your belief that the Mimaki will benefit you from ink versatility is correct, because you would have to flush the machine to change inks. With $300 - $700 worth of ink in there at any time... you won't want to do that very often, even if there were no labor costs as well, although I'd expect there would be.

thanks for all the input guys. I don't want to cause any confusion about this printer's intended use, it will be printing all sorts of outdoor materials (vehicles, wraps, banners, etc). that said I doubt that it would ever run anything but mild solvent inks. but the fact that it is capable of running different inks as the market changes or as regulations change....has a dollar value. its versatility , looking into the future, is worth something to me.

we have a serious problem getting reliable people to man decent equipment here in missouri. everyone wants to jump on the printing bandwagon and advertise the fact that they can print, but noone wants to learn how to do it well or do it reliably. my most recent print contractor lost an order 5 TIMES!!! it took me over a month to get a simple 3'x5' print. then I ended up having to pay $14sf to another shop to finish the job...

There is a market here. my company has an established reputation for excellence and buying my own printer will allow me to control the quality of my prints as well. that said, If I'm spending the money, why pay over $30k for a soljet when I can get a mimaki fully equipped for less than that? and end up with a far superior machine in my humble opinion. ( the soljet would have been my 3rd choice).

we have never pushed digital because we couldnt control it. so many of the printers around here are using antiques that can barely hold their inks past the first year.if we had the capability and started pushing it...it wouldnt sit idle very long at all.

unless there are other major factors that I havent considered (which is entirely possible:) ) I'm still on track and looking for reasonable financing for the jv33