• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How's about this one?

OhioSigns

How do you measure using google?

when I go to satellite view I can see the scale of measure in the Bot R corner
when i click on the area I get the Long & Lat placement

have tried both FireFox & Chrome
I use Chrome... zoom in as close as you can in 2D mode. Right click on your first point and there is an option to measure distance. Click your second point and it will give you the measurement.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I use Chrome... zoom in as close as you can in 2D mode. Right click on your first point and there is an option to measure distance. Click your second point and it will give you the measurement.

Just like he said..

To figure the height, take a screenshot of street view and put that into flexi and scale it up to the proper width... See if you come up with the same size I did

Stacey K

I like making signs
Old guy calls me for a bid and I said sure, email me the pic. 5 mins later he calls back and asks what I think. I said, I'm tied up at the moment but I'll look at it before the close of business today. I emailed him a quote around noon. At 9PM he calls me asking what's up? I said I e-mailed him the bid this afternoon and he said "Oh, I haven't checked my email" '

I proceed to tell him the quote ($4500-$5500) and he got angry. He said that sign is only 3'x6'. and I told him my calculations showed it was about 6-7' by 14'. He said I was incorrect because in the picture he sent me, he measured his wheels on his car and figured the sign must of been 3' x 6'. He said he KNOWS his car isn't 14' long in the photo and the sign is smaller. I kindly explained to him that because of all the "panels" on the sign, that leads me to believe that is not 3x6 because a sign company wouldn't use a bunch of panels for a 3x6. He tells me that we're not talking about "the theory" of how it should be built, but that the sign IS 3x6. He started to get snippy with me and I politely said, "Well, I'm sorry we have a misunderstanding in regards to the size of the sign." He said: "No, it's not a misunderstanding, you just don't know what the right measurements are" I said "Ok sir, I looks like we're not going to be doing business together, have a good evening"

See for yourself: https://www.google.com/maps/@33.814...4!1sgTl3IHZGhKnjbGOwVAL8dg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

View attachment 140655
I don't get it...where's the restaurant? Is it in that garage with the washer sitting outside or around the corner of the block? I feel like I'm standing in the middle of the road looking in circles LOL

unclebun

If one includes the intrinsic value of the advertising, all the related labor, materials and processing costs, that figure is probably pretty close in most areas except for the highest and lowest cost regions.

Where the problem comes in is that some of us through either inexperience or from conscious effort to undermine their local competition, will take the wholesale price they can get something online and fail to include ALL of those factors into their pricing and denigrate the price structure for EVERYBODY. All it takes is a few bad actors offering banners for $2.00 per square foot or other types of frequently purchased signs for a while and an entire local market is dragged down.

Yeah, tell me about it. We had a local shipping/rent-a-mailbox store (not part of a national chain) decide to buy a printer and he based all his pricing on wholesale online pricing--as in that's what he sold for retail. That was 4 years ago, and then he got busy enough he had to hire someone to do the signs and lo and behold he realized that pricing worked only when he was essentially making banners and signs in his spare time and the building rent was paid for by his shipping and mailbox business. Nonetheless, banner pricing in our area is still depressed because of him, and I have trouble getting $4/sq ft still.

unclebun

I don't get it...where's the restaurant? Is it in that garage with the washer sitting outside or around the corner of the block? I feel like I'm standing in the middle of the road looking in circles LOL

It says Roma Pizza on the building

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
It says Roma Pizza on the building

Lol, I actually have no idea either.. Google points to something across the street but I thought the Roma pizza place too but that doesn't match...and that other building is a mystery.. I'm confused on that one too

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Lol, I actually have no idea either.. Google points to something across the street but I thought the Roma pizza place too but that doesn't match...and that other building is a mystery.. I'm confused on that one too
It's just a front to lure in unsuspecting sign shop people. - Think Texas Chainsaw Massacre - The Hills Have Eyes.......
You send the crew out to take accurate measurements - they never come back.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
It's just a front to lure in unsuspecting sign shop people. - Think Texas Chainsaw Murders - The Hills Have Eyes.......
You send the crew out to take accurate measurements - they never come back.

I LOOKS like a Texas Chainsaw Massacre sort of place

Baz

I've estimated a size of a wall using Google Earth. Also when i am talking with a customer about a sign over the phone i often look it up using Google Maps street view. Talk with the customer at the same time as i am looking at the site where they want their sign. It's so handy!