• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP 310 Printing greys with a green hue

dypinc

This is where using the term profile when you really mean media preset makes everything really confusing.

If I am understanding you correctly you are creating a new media preset, but not making a new output profile?

Are you creating a calibration for that new media preset with the onboard spectro?

I am not totally sure what color management capabilities the L330 has so where are you making the color output profile if you are making one?

derekw13029

I don't believe the 330 has an onboard spectro, so no I don't believe I'm using it. Sorry for the confusion on the terms. Here is my process:

>Tap on "Substrate Library"
>Tap on media category (in this case "PET Film")
>Tap on "New PET Film" at top of list
>Select which Generic Preset I want to work from
>Continue to recreate the settings of previously working profile
>Do NOT let the Printer perform Color Calibration, Continue without printing dry test and color calibration

I'm not sure about output profile generation within the L330, to be honest.

In either case, this does look like a printhead issue. Changed the LC/LM, appears to have made a difference for now.

dypinc

If the printer asked to do a Color Calibration then it must have an onboard spectro. I would let it perform a Color Calibration. If it allows output profile generation than I would do that as well. It probably will be as good of a profile as you can create with Flexi.

Can you create a color profile with your version of Flexi?

Bottom line is you have to do a calibration on the printer or in Flexi (linearization) and create an output profile with the printer (if it has that capacity) or with Flexi, to get correct color and neutral grays. Canned profiles done before the NEXUS_00_06_02.12 will not give correct color with newer firmware.

I have the L360 so I am not exactly sure what color management capabilities the the L330 has.

Correct Color

The 330 does not have a spectrophotometer. Its "calibration" is done with what I would assume is an onboard densitometer of some sort.

However, its calibration routine suffers from the same problems as the 360, so it is best to never use it.

Also, since the machine has no spectro, it is incapable of making its own ICC profiles. It can make medias, and it can assign onboard generic ICC profiles to them, but it cannot build ICC's itself.

And what all that means is that the machine is capable of pretty pleasing color in a lot of instances, but it's going to likely not be able to print consistent greys unless media profiles are created in the following manner:

Media created in the front panel as new; no "calibration" run; linearization of the media then done in the RIP; ICC profile then made of the linearized media either with the RIP's built in ICC engine or with a third party engine and imported in.

This process works. I used it on a 330 just this week with good results. Anything else and you'll wind up with issues.

dypinc

Thanks for clarifying the capabilities of the L330.

Calibration on the L360 is something I wouldn't say is problematic, as long as you do a linearization on top of that for more color critical work. The one thing I like about it is that it does calibrate lc/lm by themselves which can not be done any other way. But I would agree that it is really hard to tell whether it is beneficial or not, but it does give you the option to quickly maintain natural grays.

This thread points to the question I asked a long time ago after the NEXUS_00_06_02.10 firmware change that invalidated all previous calibration and profiles. What was everyone with the L300 series that do not have onboard spectros going do about getting correct color. Unless they have a measuring device and a RIP or third party software and the knowledge to create there own profiles, how are they going to get correct color. Is there anyway to know if a canned download profile is post NEXUS_00_06_02.10 or prior to. I do suppose that the generic and HP profiles that get updated with new firmware release are somewhat correct but who knows.

Correct Color

Unless they have a measuring device and a RIP or third party software and the knowledge to create there own profiles, how are they going to get correct color?

C'mon...

You really expect me to just let a setup like that go?

The ONLY way to get Correct Color

is to hire Correct Color.

Guaranteed.

Vinyldog

I decided to re-visit the issue on this logo after reading these comments. I performed a color-calibration on the CV300 profile which produced no change from the previous prints. I also tried printing it without color correction which did produce a nice grey but shifted one of the other colors.
I think the best solution was still to just substitute a cmyk grey for the rgb color the customer artwork called for. Which btw was 187 - 189 - 191.

dypinc

I decided to re-visit the issue on this logo after reading these comments. I performed a color-calibration on the CV300 profile which produced no change from the previous prints. I also tried printing it without color correction which did produce a nice grey but shifted one of the other colors.
I think the best solution was still to just substitute a cmyk grey for the rgb color the customer artwork called for. Which btw was 187 - 189 - 191.

Sounds like the CV300 Media Set and Profile was created before the NEXUS_00_06_02.10 or 12 update, and your firmware is NEXUS_00_06_02.10 or newer. If so performing color-calibration will not correct it.

Vinyldog

I have been using 01_10_00.4 but am loading the latest firmware (01.2). I'll do the calibration again and see what happens. The roll of cv300 is gone now anyway and I'll be using O.3169 for my intermediate vinyl jobs for awhile.