• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP 365 latex starting to get head crashes

The leader can be affixed either before or after physically loading the media. It's user preference, and either one works.

This is a great point.

Traffic and safety sheeting such as HIP and Diamond Grade reflective films are a very expensive and relatively rigid class of medias. Using a reusable leader when loading the printer with these films saves a significant amount of media, minimizes the potential for crashes, and largely resolves the issue being raised here (adhesive migration onto the curing platens).

Is anyone here using any Roland, Epson, Mutoh branded or Mimaki eco-solvent printer for regulated traffic signage?

We use a HP and the MUTOH trafficJet. We use a leader after the material is loaded and attach it just after it comes out of the curing area on the HP. We don't use a leader on the MUTOH

For the record, the Trafficjet is manufactured by Mutoh, but is sold, supported, and brought to market as an Avery Dennison product. It has a specific inkset expressly for regulated traffic signage. The Trafficjet inkset is not available for use in any Mutoh-branded printer.

Last edited:

Dukenukem117

i have the same issue when printing on 3m prismatic . doubled up the guides. i have also done the same but i see u cut the outside one ..Is that so the blade can cut the media?

How do you double up on the guides? Do you mean the edge holders? You can attach more than 1 pair?

HP makes a Media Saver kit for 60 inch medias for this purpose.

Many users take small 2-5 foot long butt rolls of PVC banner media (13-18 oz) and affix to the front of the print media before loading into the printer. The leader is ideally the same width as the print media, as this makes loading easier.

When ready to print, the leader should extend through the curing unit to create forward tension, allowing printing to start closer to the lead edge of the media. See example image below of a PVC banner leader - the media was advanced to show the leader, and would normally be retracted from this position to save media, while providing forward tension.

I cant seem to find many people selling this kit. The only listing I see is this one for $405, which seems like a lot compared to just fashioning your own out of some scrap material. If you still are using masking tape to attach it, Im not seeing what the advantage of the official kit is.

https://www.colamco.com/product/hp-inc-media-saver-kit-t4e58b-1883953

The Media Saver Kit employs a series of powerful magnets on a series of flaps across it's 58 inch width. It is made of temperature resistant fabric. It is new to low-volume Latex, but has been included with 3.2 meter printers such as the Latex 1500 Series.

As mentioned, fashioning a leader out of PVC banner media also works well for this purpose at very minimal cost.

Dukenukem117

The Media Saver Kit employs a series of powerful magnets on a series of flaps across it's 58 inch width. It is made of temperature resistant fabric. It is new to low-volume Latex, but has been included with 3.2 meter printers such as the Latex 1500 Series.

As mentioned, fashioning a leader out of PVC banner media also works well for this purpose at very minimal cost.

So its like a longer version of the loading assist tool?

That thing is very handy for getting some media past the platten so it doesn't bunch up, but my experience is that its difficult to insert the media into that with only one person. But the reason I'm spooling everything to the takeup right now is because the benefit of saving $5-10 on media does not seem to outweigh the labor it takes to attach a leader combined with what I presume is a higher risk of a head crash or skewing.

So its like a longer version of the loading assist tool?

That thing is very handy for getting some media past the platten so it doesn't bunch up, but my experience is that its difficult to insert the media into that with only one person. But the reason I'm spooling everything to the takeup right now is because the benefit of saving $5-10 on media does not seem to outweigh the labor it takes to attach a leader combined with what I presume is a higher risk of a head crash or skewing.

The film Loading Accessory that comes with the 365 and 500 Series is intended for fabric and similar substrates that are not dimensionally stable while loading.

The Media Saver is nylon fabric - here is a video illustrating it's use on a Latex 1500 Series:

Dukenukem117

What controls the rate of advance of the media? Does it have anything to do with the spool motors? I'd imagine not since the substrate saver would make it a bit irregular and not advance evenly?

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Have you tried increasing the vacuum on the machine? I noticed when I put a very light material in (perforated vinyl), I got head strikes. I increased the vacuum (from reading up on signs 101 forum!) and increased the heat a bit. I also brought the vinyl down and weighted it with magnets (I don't have a take up reel) and it reduced head strikes. But if its the same material you've been using, then perhaps it's something else.