Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

 


  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HP L25500 error 86:01 on left side of printer, no media loaded

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by eforer, Jan 13, 2021.

  1. eforer

    eforer Active Member

    531
    1
    18
    Nov 2, 2006
    Warwick, RI
    Hi Everyone,

    It's been a long time since I posted on Signs 101! I just moved my L25500 in my enclosed trailer, and after I put it in its new home, it gives me an 86:01 error on startup both with media loaded and unloaded. The scan axis seems to move freely and it will scan to the right side no problem, start moving left and goes all the way to the end and stops on the left side and displays the 86:01 error.

    The encoder strip and reflectors are clean, the belt tension isn't too tight, everything moves freely (rails lubricated). Is there an end stop on the left side that isn't getting tripped when it hits? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Nothing I do seems to change this.

    Thanks,
    -Ed
     
    Tags:
  2. balstestrat

    balstestrat Active Member

    624
    88
    28
    Aug 25, 2020
    Between the bits
    Make sure there is nothing below the rail, inside the U shaped space hidden that would stop it from going all the way.
    There is no trigger on either end, it just goes until it hits the end. It can be the motor, moves OK at low speed but as soon as it tries high speed it fails.
     
  3. eforer

    eforer Active Member

    531
    1
    18
    Nov 2, 2006
    Warwick, RI
    It goes all the way to the left side near as I can tell. As soon as it makes contact with the end on the left, that's when I get the error. There's no stop? Does it use the encoder to determine how far to travel?
     
  4. balstestrat

    balstestrat Active Member

    624
    88
    28
    Aug 25, 2020
    Between the bits
    Yeah it does. So you could have an issue with the encoder as well.
     
  5. eforer

    eforer Active Member

    531
    1
    18
    Nov 2, 2006
    Warwick, RI
    Ok, when I get back up there again, I'll give it a thorough wipe with Isopropyl alcohol and some swabs. I just can't for the life of me figure out how it can get to the end of the scan axis and throw the error.
     
  6. balstestrat

    balstestrat Active Member

    624
    88
    28
    Aug 25, 2020
    Between the bits
    Watch out with the encoder. If I remember correctly it's not enclosed in plastic so wiping it is not recommend / you can break it real easy.

    This one I can't check now if the tests exist but can you boot it to diagnostics?
    There might be scan axis motor test or encoder check.
     
  7. eforer

    eforer Active Member

    531
    1
    18
    Nov 2, 2006
    Warwick, RI
    I believe there is a scan axis check. I need to find the service manual so I can figure out how to boot in to diagnostic mode. I've seen references to it online, but have never had to do it.
     
  8. Rory Rehm

    Rory Rehm New Member

    4
    0
    1
    Dec 10, 2020
    Texas
    sounds like the line sensor is bad to me. i have seen the same issue and it has been the sensor
     
  9. jimboeejit

    jimboeejit Member

    105
    24
    18
    Apr 30, 2020
    uk
    another check for you...that will throw up 86 and 96 error.....check the teeth on the carriage belt...yes...it can move over to one side...but if teeth on belt have "shredded" off then motor cant drive at speed..
     
  10. jwlllpl

    jwlllpl Member

    215
    52
    28
    May 6, 2016
    Florida
  11. jimboeejit

    jimboeejit Member

    105
    24
    18
    Apr 30, 2020
    uk
    this is what a shredded belt looks like....
    and the mess it leaves inside
     

    Attached Files:

  12. eforer

    eforer Active Member

    531
    1
    18
    Nov 2, 2006
    Warwick, RI
    The belt is ok. What's odd about this whole thing is it moves successfully all the way right (if it doesn't start there to begin with) and then all the way left before throwing the error. It makes it to the end and hits the stop on the left side.
     
  13. balstestrat

    balstestrat Active Member

    624
    88
    28
    Aug 25, 2020
    Between the bits
    That's 99% on the carriage motor or encoder strip. The rest 1% can be anything.
     
Loading...

Share This Page

 


Loading...