• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP L25500 just exploded

GP

In the middle of a print job, things went loud and I presume the part that holds the belt that controls the print head movement exploded.

This is all that is left.

Is this an easy fix? Anyone know a part number? Do I call HP directly?

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Nothing is easy,

Gregg

Attachments

• sign101_1.jpg
    sign101_1.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 145
  • sign101_2.jpg
    sign101_2.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

the graphics co

same thing happened to mine a year or so ago. they used a plastic piece for the pulley initially and since this exact thing happens to all of them they replaced it with a metal bracket. It cost me around 750 to have a tech out on a rush order to fix it. I think without the rush it would have been around 500. Not sure if you can replace it yourself.

GP

same thing happened to mine a year or so ago. they used a plastic piece for the pulley initially and since this exact thing happens to all of them they replaced it with a metal bracket. It cost me around 750 to have a tech out on a rush order to fix it. I think without the rush it would have been around 500. Not sure if you can replace it yourself.

That is not good news. Please try again.

Ugh.

GP

Option #
Service Level (Standard Service)
Labor
Travel
Parts
Estimate*

3-5 Business Days -Business hours:
$350.00
$365.00
$120.00
$835.00

OldPaint

GOOD GOD............what a "rip off". just amazes me.......20 K for a machine that has .10 cent plastic rolling surfaces????
that piece need a better design since it is alway moving and changed direction. i would bet other print machines use a similar roller......i would find one with bearings....instead of a plastic shaft rubbing on metal.
i got an older ENCAD 736..... the belt tensioner for it is a lot better then what your showing.

Attachments

• belt t.jpg
    belt t.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 118

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Will they sell you just the part?
Seems like that would be a pretty simple install.

wayne k
guam usa

DougWestwood

Hp 285000

In the middle of a print job, things went loud and I presume the part that holds the belt that controls the print head movement exploded.

This is all that is left.

Is this an easy fix? Anyone know a part number? Do I call HP directly?

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Nothing is easy,

Gregg

Hey Gregg,

Yeah, I had a "premium-quality plastic part" in the material handle, which was snapping
on all the machines. Luckily, it was new enough to be under warranty, and the tech snapped
a replacement part while installing it. Can't get better than that.

They went and made replacements out of metal, and installed that. Worked fine.
Yeah, HP definitely cheaped out on some parts, and they break during the first few months of operation.
Not a great PR move, expensive new machine breaks under normal use, right out of the box.

They have PROBABLY made this part out of metal in the interim time. You should get on the phone and
complain about it, saying you KNOW some of the HP printer have cheap parts, and perhaps get a deal
on the metal replacement (if it exists, which by now, it probably does).

Good Luck!
- Doug
Vancouver

Snydo

HP has a long, long history of making things as cheaply as possible. Back in the early 90's I returned 3 HP Pavilions over a 15 month span, failing hard drives, failing cd-roms, failing memory...the list goes on. After the 3rd one I bought an IBM Aptiva that will probably still boot. They are a business after all, and I'm sure they force the engineers to cut corners wherever possible. Cheap parts or not, when those Latex machines are running smoothly they can produce some high quality prints.

Techman

making that part work should be very easy. Old nail cut to size. Hole drilled in the wheel. Put it all together an run it.

Its just an idler pulley, no need to get all missile part perfect.

GP

making that part work should be very easy. Old nail cut to size. Hole drilled in the wheel. Put it all together an run it.

Its just an idler pulley, no need to get all missile part perfect.

Alight. Fixed her with Gemini parts.

an extra 1/2" spacer fit perfectly snug into bearing set. Almost custom like.

For now, a Gemini 3/16" stud is holding it in place. I would prefer a tighter fit so bearing can properly do its thing. But wanted to see if the theory was sound first.

No idea how to set tension. I would say I am roughly "half-way"

Now, to pour a whiskey and crank it up.

Attachments

• signs101_4.jpg
    signs101_4.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 114

DougWestwood

Metal part fixes everything

Alight. Fixed her with Gemini parts.

an extra 1/2" spacer fit perfectly snug into bearing set. Almost custom like.

For now, a Gemini 3/16" stud is holding it in place. I would prefer a tighter fit so bearing can properly do its thing. But wanted to see if the theory was sound first.

No idea how to set tension. I would say I am roughly "half-way"

Now, to pour a whiskey and crank it up.

Wow, man! Good job!
Please let us know how it works as you go.
If there's any further problems.
- Doug Vancouver

BK Vinyl

This gives me hope. We are considering if we are going to get the extended warranty on our L260. Maybe I can do repairs on it myself...

johnboyx1

Bob Gruner was able to get that part (actually the whole assembly including a belt - which is a good thing to have for future use) for under $200.00

It's easy to install - you can bend out the bracket that holds the springs and replace the roller without re-threading the belt (which requires removal of the carriage - a pretty intense job.)

N.E.

Me too. Tech replaced it. Haven't had an issue since but, I don't use that much. It's usually just easier and quicker top print it on my flat bed roll to roll.