Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HP L26500 Color Issues

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by roberta, Mar 10, 2014.

1. roberta

roberta Member

May 25, 2013
    USA
    For starters, we purchased our first L26500 in 2011 and we absolutely loved it. We loved it so much that we purchased a second one at the beginning of 2013. Ever since the purchase and installation of our second printer, we've had nothing but problems with color issues. Our first printer printed absolutely perfect, but now both printers print different color panels at various times. I thought it was a software problem, so I installed Onyx to a completely different computer, re-profiled, set it all back up only to find out that I'm still having the same issues. I'm a little baffled as my first printer has the problem as well when it was perfectly fine prior to introducing the second printer to the business.

Anyone have any suggestions? Insight?

Thanks in advance

Tags:
  2. GCI DIGITAL IMAGING

GCI DIGITAL IMAGING New Member

Jan 30, 2014
    we have noticed it is the print heads getting older

3. roberta

roberta Member

May 25, 2013
    USA
    If it were the printheads getting older, wouldn't the colors consistently fade? For instance, if I were to send a 6 panel wrap job, panel 1 is the right color, panel 2 & 3 are darker, panel 4 is the right color, panel 5 is darker, panel 6 is the right color.

4. peavey123

peavey123 Active Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    What % usage are your heads at? I have to change mine at 200%, or I get inconsistent results.

5. roberta

roberta Member

May 25, 2013
    USA
    % Usage? Where do I see the percentage? They are all in warranty with the most ink being fired at 233ml.

6. MachServTech

MachServTech Very Active Member

Sep 19, 2008
    North Carolina
    In my opinion the only way to get good consistent color on wraps using the L25500 and L26500 is to:

1. Load new heads before color critical large print job (for example a tractor trailer for John Deere) (I save the partial heads for later and just in case)
    2. Flip every other tile to help with side to side issues. (usually and automatic setting in the RIP ...Onyx for sure)
    3. Ensure the alignments are done manually and regularly.
    4. Perform color calibrations regularly to help bring the greybalance back in line.
    5. Never print panels for a wrap out of order (i know...this one is impossible ;)
    6. Try not to change rolls in the middle of a side (if wrapping a truck or wall)
    7. Maintain constant temperature in the room throughout the print run.

7. roberta

roberta Member

May 25, 2013
    USA
    I agree with all of these. However, I would like to remind that my first printer didn't have any issues with hitting colors for an entire year and a half until the second printer came. I honestly believe it has something to do with the second printer being brought in. I just can't pin point the reason. I've had techs theorize, but never confirm.

8. Bly

Bly Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Sydney
    We've got two L25500s and the same thing on both.

As well as everything MachServTech suggested try printing colourbars down the gutters both sides.
    Keeps all the heads firing.

9. MachServTech

Sep 19, 2008
    North Carolina
    It could be a consequence of ambient room temperature (because the second printer is off-on heating the room) or even voltage disruptions.

I would put an Innovolt power conditioner in line. These are plug and play. I have one myself. Very easy to read and see whats going on. About $350 bucks.
    Innovolt PM20 208 AMP
    http://www.innovolt.com/our-solutions/deployment-options/appliances/power-manager-20-208240

http://www.ctistore.com/catalog/cat...ogle_adwords&gclid=CO7H0unjiL0CFU4aOgodvyMA1g

Other than temp and power those two machines have nothing else in common.

10. MachServTech

Sep 19, 2008
    North Carolina
    +1 on this

11. roberta

roberta Member

May 25, 2013
    USA
    Those were my two thoughts as well. On my next job I'm going to unplug one of the machines and see if that makes a difference. And yes, it could be inconsistent heat. As much as we try to keep it climate consistent, the printer does throw off a lot of heat. But then I go back to, the printers are in the same environment the first printer was in for a year and a half and didn't have any problems.

12. roberta

roberta Member

May 25, 2013
    USA
    I do print a color band on every print. We have been doing this since the Seiko 64S era ;)

13. roberta

roberta Member

May 25, 2013
    USA
    Thank you MachServTech. I will forward this on to my boss and request him to purchase.

14. Hicalibersigns

Hicalibersigns Member

Apr 8, 2011
    We have done some large wall covering jobs that were mostly blue and this was the only way that we could get consistent color. (25500).

15. roberta

roberta Member

May 25, 2013
    USA
    Maybe I misunderstood. I do print the color band down 1 side. I should be printing it on both sides? I use Onyx, so would that be in the Printer Media & Placement strategies >> Printing Gutter, then select both Left and Right?

16. signdesigner1

signdesigner1 Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Palm Harbor
    Are you using the same(duplicate) profile for each machine?

17. danno

danno Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Birmingham, AL
    My 2 cents. We have a L26500 and a LX800 in our shop. As for panel matching, good luck. We have found that the slightest variation of temperature or humidity effect these machines. We can usually achieve the panel to panel match, but if a panel has to be reprinted, there will be colour shift. We recently wrapped an Airstream coach and the nose had to be reprinted. The shift of colour was phenomenal. Granted, we did print it day later and on a different roll, but we didn't expect that much difference. For grins and giggles we compared the colour of the panel that was removed to what was printed on the rear, and it didn't even match. I guess in short, I'm saying good luck and may the force be with you.

18. roberta

roberta Member

May 25, 2013
    USA
    Yes we are. A Tech thought it was the profiling so we re-profiled and still the same issues. Along with installing Onyx to a completely different computer.... still the same issues.

19. MachServTech

Sep 19, 2008
    North Carolina
    Yes, I agree Humidity and Temp play a huge factor with these printers. I have a climate controlled setup, this is by design. IF you are in a high humidity/temp environment without it you will have a fight on your hands with color management.

20. signdesigner1

signdesigner1 Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Palm Harbor
    Well there is part of your problem. Each machine should have its own profile.

21. Robert Gruner

Robert Gruner Member

Mar 6, 2012
    houston tx
    Excellent commentary. The latex user who generates the very best prints will subscribe to MachServTech's advice. Be meticulous in following his advice for long runs.

For those users trying to match color/performance from 2 or more printers:

2 printers means 4 220V/10amp lines. The incoming voltage must be the same across all four lines; therfore the need for a Buc and Boost.

Good printing