• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP L26500 Color Issues

bgraphix

For starters, we purchased our first L26500 in 2011 and we absolutely loved it. We loved it so much that we purchased a second one at the beginning of 2013. Ever since the purchase and installation of our second printer, we've had nothing but problems with color issues. Our first printer printed absolutely perfect, but now both printers print different color panels at various times. I thought it was a software problem, so I installed Onyx to a completely different computer, re-profiled, set it all back up only to find out that I'm still having the same issues. I'm a little baffled as my first printer has the problem as well when it was perfectly fine prior to introducing the second printer to the business.

Anyone have any suggestions? Insight?

Thanks in advance

bgraphix

If it were the printheads getting older, wouldn't the colors consistently fade? For instance, if I were to send a 6 panel wrap job, panel 1 is the right color, panel 2 & 3 are darker, panel 4 is the right color, panel 5 is darker, panel 6 is the right color.

MachServTech

In my opinion the only way to get good consistent color on wraps using the L25500 and L26500 is to:

1. Load new heads before color critical large print job (for example a tractor trailer for John Deere) (I save the partial heads for later and just in case)
2. Flip every other tile to help with side to side issues. (usually and automatic setting in the RIP ...Onyx for sure)
3. Ensure the alignments are done manually and regularly.
4. Perform color calibrations regularly to help bring the greybalance back in line.
5. Never print panels for a wrap out of order (i know...this one is impossible ;)
6. Try not to change rolls in the middle of a side (if wrapping a truck or wall)
7. Maintain constant temperature in the room throughout the print run.

bgraphix

The only way to get good consistent color on wraps using the L25500 and L26500 is to:

1. Load new heads before color critical large print job (for example a tractor trailer for John Deere) (I save the partial heads for later and just in case)
2. Flip every other tile to help with side to side issues.
3. Ensure the alignments are done manually and regularly.
4. Perform color calibrations regularly to help bring the greybalance back in line.
5. Never print panels for a wrap out of order (i know...this one is impossible ;)
6. Try not to change rolls in the middle of a side (if wrapping a truck or wall)
7. Maintain constant temperature in the room throughout the print run.

I agree with all of these. However, I would like to remind that my first printer didn't have any issues with hitting colors for an entire year and a half until the second printer came. I honestly believe it has something to do with the second printer being brought in. I just can't pin point the reason. I've had techs theorize, but never confirm.

Bly

We've got two L25500s and the same thing on both.

As well as everything MachServTech suggested try printing colourbars down the gutters both sides.
Keeps all the heads firing.

MachServTech

It could be a consequence of ambient room temperature (because the second printer is off-on heating the room) or even voltage disruptions.

I would put an Innovolt power conditioner in line. These are plug and play. I have one myself. Very easy to read and see whats going on. About $350 bucks.
Innovolt PM20 208 AMP
http://www.innovolt.com/our-solutions/deployment-options/appliances/power-manager-20-208240

http://www.ctistore.com/catalog/cat...ogle_adwords&gclid=CO7H0unjiL0CFU4aOgodvyMA1g

Other than temp and power those two machines have nothing else in common.

I agree with all of these. However, I would like to remind that my first printer didn't have any issues with hitting colors for an entire year and a half until the second printer came. I honestly believe it has something to do with the second printer being brought in. I just can't pin point the reason. I've had techs theorize, but never confirm.

bgraphix

I've found old equipment gets jealous when you bring in new toys....I swear it happens anytime we get a new tool or piece of equipment.

Keep in mind I don't run HP's - but is there ANY chance it would be related to power? Like having both drawing (2) 220 plugs each...maybe the power isn't "clean" enough? Just a thought. Hope you get it sorted it out either way.

edited to add: either that and/or inconsistent heat? I've heard those printers are very finicky due to the higher heat required to cure the ink - so wouldn't it be possible that the heat is fluctuating over longer runs which would result in inconsistent colors? (again, just a thought)

Those were my two thoughts as well. On my next job I'm going to unplug one of the machines and see if that makes a difference. And yes, it could be inconsistent heat. As much as we try to keep it climate consistent, the printer does throw off a lot of heat. But then I go back to, the printers are in the same environment the first printer was in for a year and a half and didn't have any problems.

bgraphix

We've got two L25500s and the same thing on both.

As well as everything MachServTech suggested try printing colourbars down the gutters both sides.
Keeps all the heads firing.

I do print a color band on every print. We have been doing this since the Seiko 64S era ;)

bgraphix

It could be a consequence of ambient room temperature (because the second printer is off-on heating the room) or even voltage disruptions.

I would put an Innovolt power conditioner in line. These are plug and play. I have one myself. Very easy to read and see whats going on. About $350 bucks.
Innovolt PM20 208 AMP
http://www.innovolt.com/our-solutions/deployment-options/appliances/power-manager-20-208240

http://www.ctistore.com/catalog/cat...ogle_adwords&gclid=CO7H0unjiL0CFU4aOgodvyMA1g

Other than temp and power those two machines have nothing else in common.

Thank you MachServTech. I will forward this on to my boss and request him to purchase.

bgraphix

We have done some large wall covering jobs that were mostly blue and this was the only way that we could get consistent color. (25500).

Maybe I misunderstood. I do print the color band down 1 side. I should be printing it on both sides? I use Onyx, so would that be in the Printer Media & Placement strategies >> Printing Gutter, then select both Left and Right?

danno

My 2 cents. We have a L26500 and a LX800 in our shop. As for panel matching, good luck. We have found that the slightest variation of temperature or humidity effect these machines. We can usually achieve the panel to panel match, but if a panel has to be reprinted, there will be colour shift. We recently wrapped an Airstream coach and the nose had to be reprinted. The shift of colour was phenomenal. Granted, we did print it day later and on a different roll, but we didn't expect that much difference. For grins and giggles we compared the colour of the panel that was removed to what was printed on the rear, and it didn't even match. I guess in short, I'm saying good luck and may the force be with you.

MachServTech

Yes, I agree Humidity and Temp play a huge factor with these printers. I have a climate controlled setup, this is by design. IF you are in a high humidity/temp environment without it you will have a fight on your hands with color management.

My 2 cents. We have a L26500 and a LX800 in our shop. As for panel matching, good luck. We have found that the slightest variation of temperature or humidity effect these machines. We can usually achieve the panel to panel match, but if a panel has to be reprinted, there will be colour shift. We recently wrapped an Airstream coach and the nose had to be reprinted. The shift of colour was phenomenal. Granted, we did print it day later and on a different roll, but we didn't expect that much difference. For grins and giggles we compared the colour of the panel that was removed to what was printed on the rear, and it didn't even match. I guess in short, I'm saying good luck and may the force be with you.

Fastsigns2041

Fastsigns Palm Harbor
Yes we are. A Tech thought it was the profiling so we re-profiled and still the same issues. Along with installing Onyx to a completely different computer.... still the same issues.

Well there is part of your problem. Each machine should have its own profile.

Robert Gruner

Excellent commentary. The latex user who generates the very best prints will subscribe to MachServTech's advice. Be meticulous in following his advice for long runs.

For those users trying to match color/performance from 2 or more printers:

2 printers means 4 220V/10amp lines. The incoming voltage must be the same across all four lines; therfore the need for a Buc and Boost.

Good printing