• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP L560

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
So, color issues are mostly fixed for now. Now my huge complaint is the fact I have to waste a yard of vinyl EVERY TIME I want to print something. I have had substrate jam after substrate jam, because it seems with this printer you HAVE to have at least a foot hanging out from under the curing unit to begin printing. I've even had several jams WITH material hanging out. YES I am using the media clips. This machine is very frustrating. I want to love it, but right now, I am ready to push it out the door.

I am dealing with the jamming as well. I found that the materials are slightly curling in the heating area and sticking to the ceiling of the heater panel, which causes it to stop feeding, thus bowing up in the printer area enough for the head/carriage to jam.
Either I feed it out to the take-up OR I babysit it for the first few minutes with a yard stick...pushing it down if it starts to stick. That worked so far.
Once it's on the take-up, it's great.
The force and speed of the carriage really jams it in hard when it happens. My Roland had a much more sensitive motor resistance shut-off on it.

I am with you there. We had a 570 installed 2 weeks ago, and the material jamming unless you feet out a few feet is the same issue. I didn't have that with any of my Rolands. I am sure I will get used to it though

jayhawksigns

For those of you opening the curing door at the start of a print, is there a catch to keep it up or do you have to actually hold it open?

anthony smith

OK SO WE INSTALLED A NEW 560 FIRST OF FEB
TECH COMES IN STARTS THE SET UP CAN'T GET MACHINE TO TAKE A IP ADDRESS
FINALLY AFTER COUPLE OF HOURS AND LOTS OF PHONE CALLS HE GETS IT
WE CURRENTLY RUN A 360 SO FIGURE THERE IS LITTLE LEARNING CURVE, TECH LEAVES HOUR LATER ERROR MESSAGE DOOR IS OPEN', CLOSE DOOR , BUT THE DOOR WAS NOT OPEN LONG STORY SHORT STAYED ON PHONE TILL AFTER 9 PM WITH HP
THEY SHIP IN ALL SORTS OF PARTS RUN A FEW DAYS MACHINE GIVES HEATER ERROR
SO LOTS MORE PARTS RUN FEW MORE DAYS DOWN AGAIN
NOW COUPLE MONTHS IN WE HAVE RUINED TONS OF MATERIAL LOST HOURS OF PRODUCTION AND MACHINE DOWN AGAIN
I REALLY THINK I GOT A LEMON, SO IN THE PROCESS OF GETTING REPLACED SURE HOPE
GRIMCO AND HP STEP UP AND MAKE THIS EASY WITHOUT GETTING UGLY
ANY OTHER HORROR STORIES OR AM I JUST THE LUCKY ONE

jayhawksigns

First off, no need to yell.

There are a couple members on here who have had issues during installation, and I'm one of them. Where as it seems yours is truly a hardware issue with the printer, mine got rectified with new printheads. It sounds like you have another printer currently so you may not be completely shut down, but it does suck when your new purchase isn't doing what it's supposed to.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

ericm

OK SO WE INSTALLED A NEW 560 FIRST OF FEB
TECH COMES IN STARTS THE SET UP CAN'T GET MACHINE TO TAKE A IP ADDRESS
FINALLY AFTER COUPLE OF HOURS AND LOTS OF PHONE CALLS HE GETS IT
WE CURRENTLY RUN A 360 SO FIGURE THERE IS LITTLE LEARNING CURVE, TECH LEAVES HOUR LATER ERROR MESSAGE DOOR IS OPEN', CLOSE DOOR , BUT THE DOOR WAS NOT OPEN LONG STORY SHORT STAYED ON PHONE TILL AFTER 9 PM WITH HP
THEY SHIP IN ALL SORTS OF PARTS RUN A FEW DAYS MACHINE GIVES HEATER ERROR
SO LOTS MORE PARTS RUN FEW MORE DAYS DOWN AGAIN
NOW COUPLE MONTHS IN WE HAVE RUINED TONS OF MATERIAL LOST HOURS OF PRODUCTION AND MACHINE DOWN AGAIN
I REALLY THINK I GOT A LEMON, SO IN THE PROCESS OF GETTING REPLACED SURE HOPE
GRIMCO AND HP STEP UP AND MAKE THIS EASY WITHOUT GETTING UGLY
ANY OTHER HORROR STORIES OR AM I JUST THE LUCKY ONE

Sorry to hear that..... I been running my 570 since September over 500,000 sq foot runs non stop
Only heads and maintenance cartridge have been replaced (knock on wood) and on the leader edge I run it just over the platten and past the bump and leave the door open till it passes through...... if you need any help pm me I'll give u my number!!!

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Are you able to get an absolute color profile or just grayscale?

Yeah profiling on the L370 was a major hassle. I assume it would be on the 560. The only way I could get good consistent colors across all my materials (all five passing a G7 test for digital coated offset) was to:

Linearize -> create a Quick Set in Onyx stripping ALL icc profiles and setting a standard density/dpi/# passes -> rip a swatch test through the Quick Set -> read and build an icc through i1Profiler -> update the Quick Set to apply the new icc and nothing else -> then rip production files through the Quick Set.

Some of the canned profiles and downloaded profiles gave me okay colors but most would be WAAAAAAAY off. Especially the reds and greys.

AKwrapguy

So, color issues are mostly fixed for now. Now my huge complaint is the fact I have to waste a yard of vinyl EVERY TIME I want to print something. I have had substrate jam after substrate jam, because it seems with this printer you HAVE to have at least a foot hanging out from under the curing unit to begin printing. I've even had several jams WITH material hanging out. YES I am using the media clips. This machine is very frustrating. I want to love it, but right now, I am ready to push it out the door.

I am dealing with the jamming as well. I found that the materials are slightly curling in the heating area and sticking to the ceiling of the heater panel, which causes it to stop feeding, thus bowing up in the printer area enough for the head/carriage to jam.
Either I feed it out to the take-up OR I babysit it for the first few minutes with a yard stick...pushing it down if it starts to stick. That worked so far.
Once it's on the take-up, it's great.
The force and speed of the carriage really jams it in hard when it happens. My Roland had a much more sensitive motor resistance shut-off on it.

So from what I understand the new curing units on the 500 series operate more like a convection oven rather than a typical heating/curing units. The units are better sealed which allows them to retain the heat better, this also allows hot air to flow over the substrate which means same effect but with lower temperature and a reduction in curing time. So you might want to look at turning the temperature settings down for the medias that are giving you trouble.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
So from what I understand the new curing units on the 500 series operate more like a convection oven rather than a typical heating/curing units. The units are better sealed which allows them to retain the heat better, this also allows hot air to flow over the substrate which means same effect but with lower temperature and a reduction in curing time. So you might want to look at turning the temperature settings down for the medias that are giving you trouble.
I have since dropped the temp in my profiles and watching to see what difference it makes. I guess it's helping? I don't know...I am still cautiously feeding out the material first before any print, to avoid any issues. Really sucks. Lots of wasted material.

jayhawksigns

It would be nice to get together on these issues some have been having and compare notes on settings. Once our apparent printhead issues have been resolved I haven't had any other issues some have mentioned on here(its only been three days though), other then just learning the difference between the first generation latex printers and what we have now. On the media loading, I have yet to feed it more then just under the leading edge of the curing unit, with the front door open of course. FWIW, I have been cutting the "smile" in the media like HP Tim mentions in his video.

PrintReadyFile

I have these issues as well, but to be fair, it also happened on the 370. What I noticed was that it wasn't my heat (but yes that is a whole other thing), it was the lip between the printing platen and the curing platen. Since rolled media still retains a little bit of curl, just after it leaves the vaccums it can curl ever so slightly and catch the lip... Or should I say gap... As the lead edge approaches the curing zone (I am sure the residual heat also amplifies this).

But the fix is simple and already mentioned: waste media. If you advance the media until it is just past the lip between the two platens. Yeah, real fun, but now I don't get carriage strikes that waste just as much! And could damage print heads (that delicate ?line sensor? Membrane) causing much more waste and expense.

That's what we get when hp just adapts old tech instead of designing new.

eahicks

Well I'm at the end of my rope. Yesterday I had I believe 8 jams in a row...this is with the print job already going, fed to the take up roll. All tension looks great, running perfectly, and then in the middle of the run - BAM! something causes the media to buckle up and the carriage jams into the vinyl. I'm at a loss. I try watching this thing to catch it when it happens, but of course I'm 15 feet away at my desk and too busy to watch it the entire time it prints. I am beginning to hate this printer with the fuel of a thousand suns. I probably threw away 10 yards of incomplete vinyl prints yesterday.
I've reduced heat to the point I'm scared it's not going to cure correctly anymore. Maybe I will just have to change media altogether? This is all with 3m media - IJ35C and IJ180Cv3.
Any one have any other ideas?

Last edited:

jayhawksigns

Only jams I have had was at the start of a prints so far when I am not attaching the media to the roll per the "recommendation". Does seem strange to have it happen once its hooked up to the take up system. FWIW, we run Arlon here.

AKwrapguy

Well I'm at the end of my rope. Yesterday I had I believe 8 jams in a row...this is with the print job already going, fed to the take up roll. All tension looks great, running perfectly, and then in the middle of the run - BAM! something causes the media to buckle up and the carriage jams into the vinyl. I'm at a loss. I try watching this thing to catch it when it happens, but of course I'm 15 feet away at my desk and too busy to watch it the entire time it prints. I am beginning to hate this printer with the fuel of a thousand suns. I probably threw away 10 yards of incomplete vinyl prints yesterday.
I've reduced heat to the point I'm scared it's not going to cure correctly anymore. Maybe I will just have to change media altogether? This is all with 3m media - IJ35C and IJ180Cv3.
Any one have any other ideas?

eahicks what are your numbers for the material that is jamming? Ink density, heater, passes and vacuum? I've been running 180 threw mine with no issues and very little bowing or curling. I'm rocking 100% density, 212 degrees (F) 8pass woth 20 vaccum.

What I have found when a material is giving me a lot of trouble, on the take up roll have a leader on it. feed the material down and tape it to the leader and than feed the material back to the print area than engage the tension bar. Now you have tension on the material and you not wasting as much on the leder. I have foud that 13oz banner is perfect for everything as it can take a lot of heat and is reusable.

eahicks

eahicks what are your numbers for the material that is jamming? Ink density, heater, passes and vacuum? I've been running 180 threw mine with no issues and very little bowing or curling. I'm rocking 100% density, 212 degrees (F) 8pass woth 20 vaccum.

What I have found when a material is giving me a lot of trouble, on the take up roll have a leader on it. feed the material down and tape it to the leader and than feed the material back to the print area than engage the tension bar. Now you have tension on the material and you not wasting as much on the leder. I have foud that 13oz banner is perfect for everything as it can take a lot of heat and is reusable.

Yeah I've been doing that with the leader, if you read my post then you will see my current issue is with being well into the print and it jamming for absolutely no reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk