• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Huge oversized "brick"

10sacer

Okay, so one of my national clients has a wild hair up their nether region and asked if I could come up with something to look like a brick that is 5x3x2 and I said "no problem" we can just print straight to a brick on the flatbed and he laughed and said , "No... 5 FEET by 3 FEET by 2 FEET".

Uhhhhh.... anyone got any ideas how to make something that will look like a brick and be sort of portable. We have settled on applying vinyl graphics with brick coloring and texture, but just need to figure out how to make the brick.

I was thinking of something foam-based, but that would be solid and heavy or maybe just glue together a rectangular box out of 1/2" something and applying graphics.

Anyone ever had to do something like this? Ideas?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
If you are set on printing the brick graphics make it out of 6mm coroplast.
or 3mil pvc.

wayne k
guam usa

jiarby

high density urethane foam sheets layered up... then carve it up, prime it and paint with some enamel. It'll last a long time!

CentralSigns

Build a box out of closed cell styrene sheets, you know the pink ones. they use it on the exterior of houses in cold snowy climates. You can paint it with one shot, butb then it's shinny.

Pat Whatley

Build a box out of closed cell styrene sheets, you know the pink ones. they use it on the exterior of houses in cold snowy climates. You can paint it with one shot, butb then it's shinny.
You paint that pink foam with one shot it will be shiny....and melted into a puddle. :ROFLMAO:

Got a lake nearby? If you do then somebody is selling foam blocks for making floating docks made out of the white, beaded expanded poly. Locally we get it in 2'x2' x 5' blocks. Glue up a couple of those, bore the holes, paint with latex and call it a brick.

letterman7

You paint that pink foam with one shot it will be shiny....and melted into a puddle. :ROFLMAO:

Got a lake nearby? If you do then somebody is selling foam blocks for making floating docks made out of the white, beaded expanded poly. Locally we get it in 2'x2' x 5' blocks. Glue up a couple of those, bore the holes, paint with latex and call it a brick.

Bingo. Even our local Home Depot has sheets of white poly for insulation, though it would take quite a few to glue up to that size.

CentralSigns

Actually it only melts the surface, and in the process smooths it out. The amount of melting is actually very minimal and stops when the one shot dries. The paint gives the surface a plastic looking appearance, like something made out of acrylic. Several good coats of primer also minimizes the effect protecting it slightly from the reaction. Care with cutting, sanding, priming and painting can give a real good look. Warning the use of flaky white styrene will result break down, it's not the same product and different reaction. Huge difference!!

The product is made by corning and can be viewed at this link

http://www.owenscorning.com/worldwi...f.pdf.OCPinkExtrudedPolystyreneInsulation.pdf

Not all are the same so make sure it is pink. Anything from lettering to doll furniture can be made from it. It cuts well using band saws scroll saws and even table saws. It can be cut into very intricate patterns. Product mask can also be used to cover areas of this product and laquor paint can be sprayed on it to get a look like sandblasting. It takes some practice and rather then a wood grain effect you get a pitted effect.

Last edited:

phototec

Most bricks are NOT smooth (see photo), and many have holes in them, I like the idea of getting one large piece of form, I live near a lake and we have a company that molds large 4' x 4' x 8' blocks and will cit them to any custom size with a hot wire. Find a source, have them cut a block to your specifications.

It would be easy to cut large holes in the foam block, and distress all surfaces and the edges and corners for a realistic look.

Cover the giant block of foam with Dryvit base coat and mesh, then when that dries, cover with Dryvit color coat using the fine texture, and when it dries, you will have a giant REAL looking brick that will hold up to any weather, and still be light enough to be portable if needed. One of the good points when using Dryvit, is the color is built into the finish coat, and hold up very good to wear, if chipped or scraped the color is still there, and future touch-up if needed is very easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmtbrwdaug4

Attachments

• brick.jpg
    brick.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 99

phototec

Foam blocks coated with drivet. No need to have it solid. Just a framework.. Spray it with drivet..

This is true, here in Texas most brick has holes in it, so I was thinking you could easily cut holes in a foam block and be done with it, no need to build up a frame and then cover it. But maybe you could use card board tubes in a built up frame to make the holes?

:wavingflag:

signmeup

+1 for floating dock. Beat the hell out of it then paint it with three different colours of latex flat house paint using the nastiest old brush you can find. Paint the brick with foamcoat first, if it needs to be durable.

Billct2

First are you going to do a print & apply or do you have the talent and capability to do one of these sculpted suggestions?
If printing an aluminum tube frame with aluminum or dibond skin (like a pan sign sign) would work.
If sculpting and painting I like the foam block and skim coat idea.

10sacer

Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas. this is being used as a promotional "prop" for one of the largest healthcare systems in the country to promote buying a dedication brick for a cancer center expansion and a children's hospital upgrade.

I like the boat float idea the best as spraying Dryvit and building frames will probably bounce their budget. Also considered making it out of 3/8" white cardboard and then printing the brick color and pattern on the flatbed.

Great thing is that there seems to be many different ways to do this successfuly. It does need to be portable for several events around communities in the area.

Thanks again

CS-SignSupply-TT

Since it is a dedication/contribution brick, make sure the graphic includes the name of the BIGGEST donor. This should "grease the rail" of giving and be a BIG honor/thank you to the donor.