• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Humidifier

Letterbox Mike

With the installation of our new flatbed we're learning that maintaining the proper humidity level in our print room is not only critical but also extremely difficult, particularly keeping it high enough. We need to install a humidifier that will maintain a more consistent humidity level in here but I'm not really sure what to look for in it or what brands to consider. I did a Google search but am overwhelmed with the results.

Any shops out there using a humidifier care to chime in on what's working well for them, where to look, what to look for, etc.?

Thanks!

rjssigns

Maybe talk to your current HVAC guy. They will have the expertise to get it done right the first time. That is if you have a forced air system.

Otherwise there are stand alone units that use steam or use compressed air to create a "fog" out of water. Units will have to be sized correctly especially if you have a MUA(make-up air) and exhaust system.

Units that used compressed air and water are very economical compared to a steam generator. Problem is they have to be mounted high enough or need multiple units for even dispersion. Otherwise you run the risk of soaking the ceiling or equipment. I would also recommend a filter system for the water. Unfiltered water may introduce some unwanted garbage into your shop.

Sorry I can't remember the brand names of the units.

JWesthead

Agree with above mentioned.

You may have some trouble trying to use your HVAC unit depending on how much you exhaust and the size of your room. And yes you can turn your print room into a tropical rainforest.

Checkout Industrial Humidity Control.

Letterbox Mike

Maybe talk to your current HVAC guy. They will have the expertise to get it done right the first time. That is if you have a forced air system.

Otherwise there are stand alone units that use steam or use compressed air to create a "fog" out of water. Units will have to be sized correctly especially if you have a MUA(make-up air) and exhaust system.

Units that used compressed air and water are very economical compared to a steam generator. Problem is they have to be mounted high enough or need multiple units for even dispersion. Otherwise you run the risk of soaking the ceiling or equipment. I would also recommend a filter system for the water. Unfiltered water may introduce some unwanted garbage into your shop.

Sorry I can't remember the brand names of the units.

Yup, just talked to my HVAC guy, he's wanting to quote me a steam unit, but he said they're not cheap. I'm thinking I'd prefer to go the compressed air route but I'll wait to see what the pricing ends up. It seems like most shops I've been in that run some sort of humidification system had a stand-alone unit or two up high near the ceiling. They must work, I see them everywhere, I just never had the presence of mind to inquire what system/manufacturer they are.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We have steam/gas. It's remarkable how well it works, but sometimes we still can't get enough humidity. It never seems to alter our printing, just the many shocks we receive while touching things around the shop and getting zapped.

Be prepared...... steam heat is very loud at times and can scare the begeebees outta ya. After having steam for almost 20 years, it still makes me cringe at times.

rjssigns

Steam unit will eat you alive with electricity bills. Water/Air units I believe are around 2K installed per unit. Just a compressor needed, no heaters, or fans.
Just had a thought. Maybe check into the people coolers. Ya know the mist/fog systems restaurants use outside. Those use push connections on poly tubing so you can place emitters wherever you want. Only problem is the control. Have to have strategically placed humidistats run to a relay to control a solenoid. Hmm...maybe no air compressor, just a booster pump and pressure tank with air bladder. Let's see..N.C. Asco Valve, 110/120v relay, tank, booster pump, Nylo-Seal, gauges....

Thanks a lot now I'm gonna waste half a day looking at chit.:Big Laugh

Letterbox Mike

Steam unit will eat you alive with electricity bills. Water/Air units I believe are around 2K installed per unit. Just a compressor needed, no heaters, or fans.
Just had a thought. Maybe check into the people coolers. Ya know the mist/fog systems restaurants use outside. Those use push connections on poly tubing so you can place emitters wherever you want. Only problem is the control. Have to have strategically placed humidistats run to a relay to control a solenoid. Hmm...maybe no air compressor, just a booster pump and pressure tank with air bladder. Let's see..N.C. Asco Valve, 110/120v relay, tank, booster pump, Nylo-Seal, gauges....

Thanks a lot now I'm gonna waste half a day looking at chit.:Big Laugh

Hahaha you're welcome! Since you're wasting your day go ahead and spec one out for me since everything you just said went completely over my head... :Big Laugh

I did wonder about the utility bills on a steam unit, seems like an electric one would be expensive to run. I don't think that's what I want anyway, I'd rather have just a standalone unit to mist the air. The more I think about it I wonder if we really need a true "industrial" unit. The space isn't that huge, it's about 1300 s.f. with 12' ceilings, about 14k cubic feet so maybe one or two large semi-industrial or home humidifiers would do the trick...

HulkSmash

Hahaha you're welcome! Since you're wasting your day go ahead and spec one out for me since everything you just said went completely over my head... :Big Laugh

I did wonder about the utility bills on a steam unit, seems like an electric one would be expensive to run. I don't think that's what I want anyway, I'd rather have just a standalone unit to mist the air. The more I think about it I wonder if we really need a true "industrial" unit. The space isn't that huge, it's about 1300 s.f. with 12' ceilings, about 14k cubic feet so maybe one or two large semi-industrial or home humidifiers would do the trick...

or a portable swamp cooler..? It'd also cool your shop down in the summer...alot

Letterbox Mike

or a portable swamp cooler..? It'd also cool your shop down in the summer...alot

I'm looking at those now, I'd never heard that term before. What brand/model are you using? Does it allow for pretty accurate control over humidity levels or is it more on/off? We need to be able to keep the humidity at a consistent level one way or another, print quality on the flatbed is all over the place right now depending on the temp and humidity levels outside, which we expected to an extent, but I don't think we were prepared for just how sensitive it is to it, far more than the solvent machines.

Shadowglen

Just bumping this one up again. It is 10* F outside and I have been running 3 humidifiers in the shop They run constant and I worry they will burn out so I let them run out of Water and auto shut off at night. I came in this Morning to 16% Humidity. I wouldn't even think about printing with that low of a number, But it is 4 hrs later and I am only up to 26% I don't have a close water source so filling the portable tanks is also a PITA. In the Summer I have to run dehumidifiers because it is so high things dry slow and media wants to pucker. My heat system is a hot water Boiler system so adding a forced Air version Like I did at home is not an option.

10sacer

Just bumping this one up again. It is 10* F outside and I have been running 3 humidifiers in the shop They run constant and I worry they will burn out so I let them run out of Water and auto shut off at night. I came in this Morning to 16% Humidity. I wouldn't even think about printing with that low of a number, But it is 4 hrs later and I am only up to 26% I don't have a close water source so filling the portable tanks is also a PITA. In the Summer I have to run dehumidifiers because it is so high things dry slow and media wants to pucker. My heat system is a hot water Boiler system so adding a forced Air version Like I did at home is not an option.

How do you not have a close water source?

I have 1 Air and Water Systems mini mister that keeps 5000 sq. ft. at 47-50% constantly. It could go higher - but it gets like a greenhouse in here.

Techman

do not use a home or office machine. They create tiny droplets of water that includes the dissolved minerals found in tap water. After a while you will see a white dust film every where on eveyr thing.

10sacer

do not use a home or office machine. They create tiny droplets of water that includes the dissolved minerals found in tap water. After a while you will see a white dust film every where on eveyr thing.

We have a reverse osmosis system hooked up to ours that eliminates that.

Shadowglen

How do you not have a close water source?

I have 1 Air and Water Systems mini mister that keeps 5000 sq. ft. at 47-50% constantly. It could go higher - but it gets like a greenhouse in here.

Well the water source is at the other end of the building so just saying there is no close hose bib to be filling the containers. Just a PITA two make 3 trips with six jugs through the maze of stuff 3 times a day I will have a plumber bring in a direct line to the area needed if I find a good self filling system. I have a false ceiling and tile floors does the mister actually leave moisture on things?