• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I asked for YOU to quote the job...

iSign

I am willing to wager he was trying to give you an accurate guess on how much to expect to pay using gemini as a base line. He was trying to help you out since you sent him some speculation work.

+2

also, the term "vector art" leaves a bit to the imagination... like the vector art collections know... a complex file can be all vectors from a scan, that could easily triple machine time, or worse, compared to clean vectors... and the way cheap clip art uses white to hide vector paths we would have to eliminate is another area that on a complex file, the difference between proper vectors, and just vectors is significant... & I know Stacy wouldn't send the guy worthless vectors, but as a new client, he doesn't know that...

econolinesigns

Our CNC software is over 10 years old and still Win 98 based. We can usually give a very rough ball park but need vector art to run the toolpath for a accurate quote. We might have checked with Gemini as well. I don't think it means the vendor can't do the job, sounds like he just wanted to be accurate for you.

fixtureman

If he sent it out is of no concern to you. You are his customer and the way he gets the job done is the same as the way you get the job done. He may have thought that he could outsource it and get it done cheaper than doing it in house. Just as you did when you contacted him.

visual800

C'mon.... you mean you can't look at a jpeg and make an educated estimate and maybe just bid it a tad high in case you're off a bit ??

EXACTLY what I was thinking! have you not done this long enough to guesstimate? I would start looking for another cnc outsource.

fixtureman

EXACTLY what I was thinking! have you not done this long enough to guesstimate? I would start looking for another cnc outsource.

Cam you look at a jpeg and give a guesstimate if you don't know whether there is any pockets or 3d carving or what material you have to cut. There is more to it than just guessing

Bigdawg

Just Me
If he sent it out is of no concern to you. You are his customer and the way he gets the job done is the same as the way you get the job done. He may have thought that he could outsource it and get it done cheaper than doing it in house. Just as you did when you contacted him.

Ummm yeah- actually it is. My initial contact stressed that I was looking for local source - and that I had other sources, but wanted someone locally who could cut metals and has 3D capabilities. The guy that does our acrylic and pvc is totally awesome... but he doesn't do alum or composites.

I have NO ISSUE with him not quoting the job. None. My issue was/is that he sent it out for another process - unrelated to anything we had talked about - to a non-local vendor that I currently use. I already had other quotes on the job - including one from Gemini. I didn't need him to do anything other than A.) Tell me if you can do the job. That was the first question I asked in my email; and B.) If you can - what will the cost be. I also asked what material he felt would be best for the project if he could do it.

At no point did I imply or say in any way that I needed a quote on anything other than the above. If he had just said "I can't do it without vector art" I would have respected that answer. I can't quote some jobs without vector art. If he has said "Hey - my considered opinion is that you need to have that done in formed plastic - would you like me to quote it that way?" then I would have never posted. I would have thanked him and told him we would have Gemini quote it for us.

I'm sure he meant well. Actually I'm positive of it. But I guess I expected some sort of dialogue between him and our shop. I'll mark it up to different ways of doing business...

MixMaker

Of course he'll be cheaper than Gemini....anything that's not in their catalog is going to cost an arm and a leg...forget about it if you need it painted.

I don't get why he'd need vector art if all you're asking for is a quote. Of course I'm assuming you had rough sizes he could quote off of and you only needed rough estimates.

Marlene

Ummm yeah- actually it is. My initial contact stressed that I was looking for local source - and that I had other sources, but wanted someone locally who could cut metals and has 3D capabilities. The guy that does our acrylic and pvc is totally awesome... but he doesn't do alum or composites.

I have NO ISSUE with him not quoting the job. None. My issue was/is that he sent it out for another process - unrelated to anything we had talked about - to a non-local vendor that I currently use

it is hard to tell if they thougth they were doing you a favor by offering up ideas and sources or if they are just stupid. since you are a pro, it seems more the latter as beng a pro, you could have thought of that yourself. if you were a regular customer (not a sign person) I could see them offering up other ways to make something. we get pinhead "designers" all the time that spec out stuff that just won't work and offer them other ideas to get the same look. I would be really ticked off too if they sent my quote request to Gemini when I asked them for the quote and clearly stated that you wanted local and had non-local sources.

I don't get why he'd need vector art if all you're asking for is a quote

this I do get as we have designers that swear we will have professional vector art and when it comes in, it is a huge mess of intersecting lines, too many nodes and a pile of stuff that needs to be fixed so that the file can be used. some times it is easier to require the actual file they will be using to see if you need to build in fix up time into the job.

TheSnowman

A) I don't ever tell a customer if I'm subbing out a job, even my wholesale customers that I sometimes give special pricing to since they have to resell it.

B) I've decided it never pays to try to use the "local guy" because it's always mega complicated for them for some reason. If you can find them that work with you, stick with them, but if not...like me, I always use a Merchant Member from here to complete my order.