• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I believe in providing levity to my coworkers

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
At the shop I used to work at... we used to save scraps of vinyl and before we cut something new we had to go through the scrap bid and see if we could use something. It was a pain in the ass and wasted time. Now I just throw all my scrap vinyl out and get on with my life.

C

ColoPrinthead

At the shop I used to work at... we used to save scraps of vinyl and before we cut something new we had to go through the scrap bid and see if we could use something. It was a pain in the *** and wasted time. Now I just throw all my scrap vinyl out and get on with my life.
I was at a Sign*a*rammer that saved scrap years ago, but I rarely bothered unless it was for something small; looking back it was probably the kid was cutting skate company logos and selling them on ebay as a side hustle that started it. I definitely don't keep scrap vinyl, I offer it to the coworkers with hobby cutters if I ever wind up with a significant mount at one time.

ikarasu

We used to save scraps. Now it all gets thrown away.

On paper some of this stuff may seem worth it to save a buck or two. In practice it costs more than it'll ever save.

Even if you pay more go 10 lbs of sand from Amazon than buying 30 lbs locally. Who wants 20 lbs of sand around the shop constantly getting moved around?! Convenience factor is worth paying a bit more if you have to. The people who stare at numbers all day don't always realize or understand that.

C

ColoPrinthead

We used to save scraps. Now it all gets thrown away.

On paper some of this stuff may seem worth it to save a buck or two. In practice it costs more than it'll ever save.

Even if you pay more go 10 lbs of sand from Amazon than buying 30 lbs locally. Who wants 20 lbs of sand around the shop constantly getting moved around?! Convenience factor is worth paying a bit more if you have to. The people who stare at numbers all day don't always realize or understand that.
Even if I were to toss out what I didn't need, having it ordered from Aamzon saved me a trip to the store and having to bother people to get reimbursed.

bannertime

hell, you live in Arlington, you have not seen any good enertainmennt in years. The last time I saw anything worth watching in Arlington, was when I worked night's for AutoTrader and drove over for lunch at 3AM - I have seen the class you live in.

Yeah, you obviously know nothing about Arlington. Ironically, Arlington is literally called "Entertainment Capitol of Texas." I hate Arlington as much as the next guy, but I don't go pretending I'm better than someone "cause I used to live there." I'm also not the guy that has to ask permission to spend $10 on sand. You couldn't pay me $10 to send an email asking to buy sand.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Yeah, you obviously know nothing about Arlington. Ironically, Arlington is literally called "Entertainment Capitol of Texas." I hate Arlington as much as the next guy, but I don't go pretending I'm better than someone "cause I used to live there." I'm also not the guy that has to ask permission to spend $10 on sand. You couldn't pay me $10 to send an email asking to buy sand.

Yea I was wondering what the hell he was talking about. Arlington is where ALL entertainment is in the DFW area. Six Flags, Hurricane Harbor, Cowboys stadium, Texas Rangers... The city fought hard and spent big to get those sports teams down there. Frisco is trying hard too but Arlington brought bigger $$ to the table.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
You don't have those same discussions with your self over the purchase of green and beige masking tape?

None that take an hours worth of two people's time. It's about a 15 second discussion in my head, and somehow Gino gets in there and still ends up telling me I'm wrong.

C

ColoPrinthead

:awesome:

I don't have to ask to spend money unless I am buying equipment, I don't have an Amazon login :big laugh:

mfatty500

Why not have them go to a Brick Supply yard and fill a couple of 5 gallon pails of mason sand for a couple of bucks for a bucket..

Gino

Premium Subscriber
When I was younger, my mom used to say don't play in the wet sand. So, if you'd just make a sand box and put 100 lbs of sand in it, you could kill two birds when it come to filling up sign frames or going to the bathroom. Got the bathroom thing on my mind for some reason.

Reveal1

Tell purchasing that green tape and not wasting 40 lbs. of sand are important to your sustainability program. They will cower in fear of being politically incorrect. That would be a good time to demand the rainbow post-its.

C

ColoPrinthead

I totally believe you.
You are right and should not, I spoke a lie; I have to get approval if one single item is $1K or more.
I have no reason to brag about being able to spend other people's money aside from the fact I have the respected skills, knowledge, and intellect that is respected enough that my company has full faith in my actions always being in their best interests and my history of regularly surpassing their expectations to the extent they have full trust in me.

I also do the real work of developing my coworkers - at the highest levels. Kind of like a reverse sign mentor with no signs included; I am begging people to not talk to me and waste my time.

Of course I can't forget my Texican braggart past habits; I dropped over $10K on ink, vinyl, and tape last month. Colorado has opened back up and I am about to have to take on an employee, as much as I would rather not.

I miss Tacos Cantu just South of I30 and Cooks in the Shell station. Check it out if you haven't.

-Rob

Last edited by a moderator:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
You are right and should not, I spoke a lie; I have to get approval if one single item is $1K or more.
I have no reason to brag about being able to spend other people's money aside from the fact I have the respected skills, knowledge, and intellect that is respected enough that my company has full faith in my actions always being in their best interests and my history of regularly surpassing their expectations to the extent they have full trust in me.

I also do the real work of developing my coworkers - at the highest levels. Kind of like a reverse sign mentor with no signs included; I am begging people to not talk to me and waste my time.

Of course I can't forget my Texican braggart past habits; I dropped over $10K on ink, vinyl, and tape last month. Colorado has opened back up and I am about to have to take on an employee, as much as I would rather not.

I miss Tacos Cantu just South of I30 and Cooks in the Shell station. Check it out if you haven't.

-Rob
Some of the best taco shops are inside the back of run down Shell stations.

ikarasu

I need permission when I buy equipment, but thats about it. We order from 3M directly... and I place orders for $40,000 every week (Every 2nd/third week these days) , I'm constantly dropping 10k on various suppliers. I used to get brought every purchase invoice and asked what this and that is, why we're buying it... but once the new owner learned why we buy what we buy, I never get questioned anymore. Some owners trust their employees and don't require a requisition order for $20 worth of material... Heck, I let my employees buy whatever and bring me the reciept and I just pay them back from petty cash... Sometimes if you give people responsibility, they'll rise to the occasion and treat it with respect and not take advantage of it!

P.S - I'm not bragging about dropping tons of cash on places. Most of the 3M orders are for traffic products which has very little margin...Money comes in, then most of that money goes out right away on material and labor.... I question why we even do traffic with such low profit margins... too much competition dropping the price on it :confused:

P.P.S - For you Americans converting to CAD, 40K is like $10 USD these days :p

Last edited:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I need permission when I buy equipment, but thats about it. We order from 3M directly... and I place orders for $40,000 every week (Every 2nd/third week these days) , I'm constantly dropping 10k on various suppliers. I used to get brought every purchase and asked what this and that is, why we're buying it... but once the new owner learned why we buy what we buy, I never get questioned anymore. Some owners trust their employees and don't require a requisition order for $20 worth of material... Heck, I let my employees buy whatever and bring me the reciept and I just pay them back from petty cash... Sometimes if you give people responsibility, they'll rise to the occasion and treat it with respect and not take advantage of it!

P.S - I'm not bragging about dropping tons of cash on places. Most of the 3M orders are for traffic products which has very little margin...Money comes in, then most of that money goes out right away on material and labor.... I question why we even do traffic with such low profit margins... too much competition dropping the price on it :confused:

P.P.S - For you Americans converting to CAD, 40K is like $10 USD these days :p

I thought Canidian $ was more expensive than American $. You guys get to use a credit card on all that stuff? I have a 2% cash back and run some good volume with it... I get around $500 a month in bonus $.

ikarasu

I thought Canidian $ was more expensive than American $. You guys get to use a credit card on all that stuff? I have a 2% cash back and run some good volume with it... I get around $500 a month in bonus $.
Our cash is going down. $1 usd = $1.36 canadian... I long for the days to be at par again!

And yes - 3M is great, we can pay it off via credit card which we do... we get TONS of points. All our sales reps fly to all the shows / stay in hotels for free... We've paid for a few vacations to europe on points, etc. Its why I was so amazed in that other thread about credit card, that a lot of people were saying paying via credit card is dumb, and they only use cash... Pay invoices via credit card...transfer money within 21 days so you accrue no interest... never pay for a flight again, cant find a flaw in that.