• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I cracked the code

JoshLoring

I've really been doing research to find out why the heck we get burned 7 out of 10 TRAILER wraps we bid.

Is everybody using 3165ra and ij40 on flat surfaces these days or what?! At this rate I could be wrapping 4 trailers per one at my cost.

sar bossier

What? I personally would not use calandered vinyl for ANY vehicle. We have an air conditioning co here that buys old penske trucks, and the shop that does all of their wraps uses 3165 ra. They called us to quote, because it started shrinking and cracking after 2 years, then told us off rudely when we quoted using ij180cv3. Personally, I prefer to do them right the first time, and save the hassles later.

This is just my personal opinion/preference. Let the cheapos do it their way, I prefer quality over cheap, and tell my clients so.

cdiesel

We don't. IJ40 tents badly over rivets, even with 8518. I wouldn't even consider using 3165 over rivets at all.

If that's what your competition is doing, we'd be eating them alive. You have to educate your customers. You'll still lose some based solely on price, but many will understand the difference and you'll win at a higher price.

HulkSmash

The funny part - ij40 isnt even that cheap... why not spend the extra couple bucks and get the right stuff? Ignorance...

Techman

now that you cracked the code.. You can beat them without a lot of pain.

Learn some marketing talk. Tell them why you will heal their pain after you show them what their pain is. They will pay anything you ask.

signswi

We always use Oracal 3951-RA but supposedly the new(ish) 3551-RA is good for trailers and box trucks, can handle rivets and such just not complex curves. Tempted to try it sometime but really prefer to just do quality work and not have worries down the road.

Baz

I just found the reason why i didn't get a particular company's fleet work after quoting them a few times. It's because the prints are not laminated! I just cleaned off one of those vehicles to re-letter it to one of my customer's company that had bought it used. Sure they used 2mil vinyl but none of it was laminated ... Was a real pain to clean off also.

I don't know if i would want to follow that route and lower my own standards to get those larger accounts. Seems like it would come back to bite me in the .... Also, it takes a long time to build up a good reputation but a bad reputation travels real fast.

CheapVehicleWrap

If that's what your competition is doing, we'd be eating them alive. You have to educate your customers. You'll still lose some based solely on price, but many will understand the difference and you'll win at a higher price.

Great idea! If there was just a way to show them what cheap really was...a carrot we could hang on craigslist and show the turd that can be had cheap.

Justin

You could always see if the other place will tell you, or the customer the type of vinyl being used. On ORACAL's website it even states, "Ideal for general signage applications over flat surfaces, including yard signs and displays. (Not recommended for vehicle graphics) In addition to its advanced air-release liner system, this 5-year, 3.75-mil film features a glossy surface to produce vivid, life-like prints and a grey-pigmented solvent-based adhesive for improved durability and covering power."

ORACAL says they recommend 751..
:p

cdiesel

Learn some marketing talk. Tell them why you will heal their pain after you show them what their pain is. They will pay anything you ask.

This is it. It's your job to show them that the extra money is well spent. Convince them you're worth it and you will sell at your price.

ucmj22

I thought about tweaking this "about 20%" and hanging it in our showroom

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-02-08 at 1.07.12 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-02-08 at 1.07.12 PM.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 131

2B

the "wal-mart" mentality has killed quality work/service.

society has come to the expectation that they will spend bottom price and then have to replace it soon. not taking into account that if they purchase the better quality from the start it will last longer than several replaces of the cheapo and it will save them money in the long run.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Link works for me, but my AVG blocked the page from completely loading, citing a threat called something like "Blackhole" ...

ucmj22

Link works for me, but my AVG blocked the page from completely loading, citing a threat called something like "Blackhole" ...

... Weird... If you google image search for good vehicle wrap, the image will come up, and you can visit the site that way... Maybe.