• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I don't deliver beer so I can't Install?

Mikeifg

I have a local beer dist who is having their fleet rebranded with wraps. I went there to try and get some work but was told one of their employees does it for them as a side job. Seen the work. Looks like S---. But they don't care saves them money. It's pathetic how ignorant people are now a day's I might take up hauling beer on the side.

Mike

signgal

ROFL my dad did it for years, even though he was an artist. He's looking down on this post getting a chuckle right now.

When their being showed up by the next distributor with their professional looking graphics, they'll be saying, "gee, why do they do so much better than us?!"

Jim Doggett

I have a local beer dist who is having their fleet rebranded with wraps. I went there to try and get some work but was told one of their employees does it for them as a side job. Seen the work. Looks like S---. But they don't care saves them money. It's pathetic how ignorant people are now a day's I might take up hauling beer on the side.

Mike

Yeah; beer distributors are turning into sign shops. Budweiser Corporate has a real well developed program for point-of-sale signs for the distributors; Miller too and no doubt others. Templates, and a specified WFP and supplier, and the distributor's salespeople can get a big stacks of whatever beer is on promo in lieu of a big fancy sign for the quick mart or whatever. It's too slick to compete against, and sells a ton of beer, pop, whatever.

Doing their own delivery trucks is an obvious next thing. It sucks, but ...

Jim

MITCHATEXOTIC

Local bars

I, just this week, was asked by two different pubs that I do tees and some other graphics for to forward art files to our local Bud distributor.I almost felt obligated to but then I made the command decision to remind my customer the my time counts and I need to bill someone.The discussion on who should pay took longer than if I would of just done it.I now know what to do next time,,,,,BILL THE DISTRIBUTOR

S

scarface

beer delivery drivers make good money from what i have seen. There was a kid who was about 22 (my age) and he was making around $50-60k a year which isn't bad for being early 20's lol

OldPaint

sorry mike, your a little late to this party!!!!!! while i was living in sarsota fl, 81-98, the local BUDMAN, dist, most of his trucks and adds where done by a sign painter friend of mine. i helped set this sign painter into the VINYL/COMPUTER world. he had an in with the BUDMAN.
bout 1996, iam up helpin rick with something on the computer, he gets a call from the BUDMAN.
i didnt pay attention to conversation but heard him SLAM THE PHONE DOWN!!!!!!!
after he calmed down, he then tells me the gist of that call.
seems the BUDMAN got this setup from BUD CENTRAL..............SO THEY COULD MAKE THEIR OWN SIGNS!!!!!
and the BUDMAN want rick to come over and.......TRAIN A $5 AN HOUR STOCKBOY.............to do ricks job!!!!!!!!!!!
WELL, i dont need to tell ya the end of that.
iam here in pcola, and my PAINTING PARTNER, mark, who is a darn good brushman, who in the years before me has done a lot of work for the local PEPSI dist. so when mark gets a call from them, i make pounce patterns for mark to do the job. also had to get mark to INCREASE HIS PRICES on jobs he was doin for them. now these are NOTORIOUS TIGHT WADS. they try to beat him up on every job. but a lot of their stuff, was no other way to do THEN TO PAINT......we do a couple 4x8 painted signs for em one day.
we go there to hang em. they will be inside the loading/delivery checkin/out bay. i take the mobile sign shop, with the tools in it.
while we are hangin the 2 signs, this guy comes out the office, and looks in my truck, see the plotter/computer/vinyl. starts askin me bout how it works. so i ask him what his job is at PEPSI, hes is the dipatcher, and he ADDS, the company, just sent in some equipment, and HE WAS DELEGATED TO LEARN............HOW TO MAKE SIGNS .....................WHEN HE DIDNT HAVE ANY DISPATCH WORK TO DO!!!!!
he wanted me to show him how to MAKE SIGNS!!!!!!!!!
i told him to tell his boss, I CAN DO THAT.........FOR $40 AN HOUR FOR INSTRUCTION!!!!!!!!!!
needless to say i didnt get the job.
NOW, WITH ALL THE PRINTERS..... its even better.....for them.

to add as little insult to injury. i know for a FACT a distributor that was given the equipment for their in house sign shop from a sign supply company with a contract in place that they would purchase a set dollar amount of consumables (vinyl, ink, etc) from them per quarter.

myself this is an industry i wouldnt even want to try to compete with.

TheSnowman

Welcome to the Ft. Wayne area. I'm so sick of the stereotype "I can't do anything else in life but drink, so I might as well make signs". Good thing we have Mosh around to make sure that's the only image people can get of sign makers.

Mikeifg

I'm with you on that Kraig. I'm from indy and the way business is done up here. They couldn't get away with it there.

ABPGraphics

There is the other side of the coin - I lived in Bradenton, Fl for many years - Home of Tropicana - They actually had their own sign shop - They had a sign shop manager that did NOT have the time or experience to make signs and Tropicana would not budget Employment help for him - good news for me - we did most of their signs - this was years ago - not sure now - bet they sub it out to Brazil

Bigdawg

Just Me
to add as little insult to injury. i know for a FACT a distributor that was given the equipment for their in house sign shop from a sign supply company with a contract in place that they would purchase a set dollar amount of consumables (vinyl, ink, etc) from them per quarter.

myself this is an industry i wouldnt even want to try to compete with.

That's a common practice in the print industry for copiers and printers. If the price on the consumables is in line with the market - well worth it. Can't even really blame the beer distributors - it's the same as an in-house (offset) print shop and no one thought twice about that.

Mosh

Our local Bud distributor has a HUGE sign shop. They have 5 big printers, 6 full time employees running the sign shop. I still get the job of wraping (and removing old wraps) on all the trailers and trucks. They tryed to do it but found out it was a little more work than printing beer sale banners. I got two of my 540 roland printers from there, Bud makes them buy new printers and systems every two years. They sell the old ones for pennys on the dollar.

grafixemporium

Same here in Houston Mosh. The big Bud distributor in town has a full on print shop... with designer, production guys, installers, etc. They do everything in house.

Techman

Xerox has a FREE printer deal. Just use the consumables at a certain rate and you get the printer.

Its a common deal.

i have known about the contracts of giving the equipment in the commercial print industry for consumable contracts, this is the only time i have ever heard of it in the sign industry so yes common in commercial print but very rare within our trade..and having sold and serviced sign supplies and equipment to the largest franchise in the nation who purchases commonly used supplies and redistributes themselves i find it very interesting because that franchise blows the distributor out of the water in regards to consumables purchased and i certainly enjoyed actually selling them equipment as needed and making a profit on their consumables...

as i said it is simply a market i don't recommend trying to compete with. when your competition is 'giving' away signs to local restaurants, bars, grocery and convenience stores...there is much more profitable markets to be prospecting...in my opinion.

but those free banners and signs look 'oh so good'...lol