• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I feel like I get electrocuted everytime i run composite aluminum through laminator

gabagoo

I feel like waterboarding possibly would be a nicer feel than the electrocution I seem to get whenever I run Composite aluminum through the laminator. Not just a shock, but almost like a pin ***** mixed with a shock is being inserted into my hand. It has to be one of the most annoying feelings and somewhat painful. Any way I can neutralize the sheet after it is laminated?

scared in Toronto

wes70

I know exactly what you're going through and it sucks! We installed a kit that is suppose to eliminate static...doesn't work! I use a dryer sheet in my hand as I handle the acm. So far its the only solution I can find. Running the acm through at a slow speed and with the backing still on helped some...but not much.

fresh

I hate when we cut polymetal with our panel saw. Plastic shards EVERYWHERE. Sometimes I have someone stand next to the person cutting with a spray bottle and mist water into the air as we cut in an attempt to decrease the static.

Auburnpeanut

Pardon my previous joke...but seriously we have the same problem. I have found that typically if I touch the panel and something metal on the frame of the laminator the whole time it is running through the printer it will dissipate the static electricity through the ground on the machine. When I usually get hit is forgetting to pull/take the backer from the print off of the panel (the part being pulled off as it is laminating) before letting go of the panel. Basically when I forget and let go of the panel, a tremendous amount of static is built up pulling/rolling up the backer of the sheet I just put down. Then I get lit up next time I touch the panel. If I am touching it when I yank the trash off of the panel and toss it to the side I am okay. Did that make sense? I am not sure if I explained it very well.

Peanut

gabagoo

On top of that, many times while laminating or even taking sheeted laminates off the table behind the laminator, you can hear these snapping sounds emanating from the table itself. Scary back there I tell ya!!!

Maybe a pair of big rubber gloves would stop that awful feeling. Some days it is absolutely brutal and I don't even want to work in there.

PanelSaws

Many years ago we had a static problem with a ultrasonic packaging machine. We made blister packs. McMaster Carr had some antistatic grounding straps our employees could put on their shoes that helped.
I am a research engineer for Boeing and have worked on EME (Electro-Magnetic Effects). Airplanes have to survive lightening strikes in the air so we have the biggest spark plug in the world, 18 million volts, and we aim it at airplane parts with electronic systems on them just to see if the electronics survive. If they don't we mess with the design until they do survive. We found that we have to conduct the electricity away from the effected area. In other words, give the juice a path that does not include the electronics.

I would try using some metal screen around the effected area and ground that screen well.
You can also try conductive graphite brushes and ground the brushes.
McMaster Carr also has static control mats. Stand on these and they should conduct the electricity away.

Let me know if any of these work.

Panelsaws

gabagoo

I had 3 more sheets to laminate this morning and tried using the blue rubber disposable gloves. As uncomfortable as it is to wear them, it worked and I never got a zap once. I did notice on one panel when I took out my Olfa to trim an edge, the biggest blue spark jump out through the material into the knife, but because of the gloves I felt not a thing..... I win

Trip59

Get a humidifier.

Doesn't always resolve the issue... I'm in Florida with my property backed up to wetlands and still have static issues...

Went on eBay and bought a big bag of dogtag chains, the cheap steel beaded kind. Clipped them end to end, looped one end around the aluminum rollers on each of my cutters and crimped a terminal end on the end, to the frame. Have a copper wire running from the frames out to a ground stake next to the wall. Piece of masking tape makes for easy adjustment so it drapes down and touches the material coming off the roll. It's light, they're round, never get scratches on the material and haven't had a static issue since. Cost me about $10 to do several machines and I still have half a bag of them sitting on the shelf.

Stanton

Wire brush drum stick from the local music shop.
McGiver it to wipe the output surface. Channel a thin wire to real ground, (not just local metal).

Or, make your troublesome customers touch it first.

fozzie

we've grounded our laminator with a 12' copper rod through the floor into the ground. lowered the shock, but it is still there.

as my operator says now - the shock before made him pee his pants, now he just gets a tingle down there :)

shoresigns

Got a big shock from the laminator today, tingling right down to my toes. Will post again later when I find out what my new superpower is.

Stanton

Your laminator is basically a Van de Graaff generator.

Only one way to fix this. Earth Ground. Drain the charge.

Wiper, path, sink.

[h=3][/h]