• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I have hit a new all time low in my career

laserman70

Am designing a banner for a company.
They have Papyrus for the name next to the logo.
I have tried to talk to them.. No luck

They say maybe it too wordy.
UMMMMM NOOOOOO It is the sh*tty font.

robwaterman

I do exactly what the client wants and collect a check. Papyrus three feet tall with an outer glow and drop shadow? We can do that. Trying to be a font cop doesn't put food in my mouth or a roof over my head.

+1 this is what 90% of clients think has lots of "pop" IMO:)

Kaiser

+1 (but that's why we switched to trade only, so someone else can deal with the bad design, we just print what we're told to print)
+1. Just cross check if the file quality is printable. If not suggest higher res files. If they dont have any. Just print.

MikePro

whenever I use papyrus, I offset rounded paths to soften the jaggedy-ness.
makes it a heck of a lot easier to read/weed

Comic Sans also still has it's place... for the kiddies.

visual800

We just have this from time to time. Customer sends over crap and we usually do a side by side comparison 9 times out of ten they agree ours is alot better those others that demand theirs is better will be done as they requested. It hurts my pride but I tried. When done with job I take no pictures and no claim. Im dealing with a trailer now that has to be in the top 5 horrific layouts done by some "deaigner" friend of theirs. He offered me to put my name on it and I graciously backed out

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Last night, I took a job for a good clients wife. I was made to design a menu for their pizza trailer using papyrus. I deleted this font from all my machines for a reason. Last night I had to download it. Ughhhh!

I tried to convince her of another font, any other font for that matter. I showed here 5 different font sites with better fonts. Even offered to purchase anyone she liked at no extra cost to just avoid having to use papyrus. Nothing worked.

I have a new policy now, if I am ever again asked to design a menu using papyrus and actually take the job my significant other is to take out my softball bat and beat me unconscious repeatedly, till I turn the job away or am dead. As the results are the same in actually doing the job or getting beat to death. The last small part of me holding out hope to become a better designer died last night when I clicked save on that monstrosity.

The project in question was started months ago. When the trailer was ordered. Custom kitchen trailers with built in wood fired ovens take a while to build. So, yes I am out of the sign business but, not going to leave clients who have already paid a deposit out in the cold. I will be finishing all projects that are still open.

Oh my, but my head is spinning. This happened months ago, but you were hired last night. Can I hear your spin on this ?? Please ?? Pretty Please...... with a cherry on top ?? I'll throw some Papyrus in for the heck of it. Are you sure you're not taking mini-flights out to Colorado, picking up medicine and getting confused ?? Your new business is just filled with great new adventure. :ROFLMAO:

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
"Renfrew" with it's toilet seat "O"

Tell me... why do people use it?!?!?!?

Locals Find!

Oh my, but my head is spinning. This happened months ago, but you were hired last night. Can I hear your spin on this ?? Please ?? Pretty Please...... with a cherry on top ?? I'll throw some Papyrus in for the heck of it. Are you sure you're not taking mini-flights out to Colorado, picking up medicine and getting confused ?? Your new business is just filled with great new adventure. :ROFLMAO:

This was in addition to the current project of the trailer. It was not part of the original proposal. This was an add on job of "hey we need a new menu board for the trailer, the printed pieces of paper taped to the window aren't cutting it". So, no spin at all. Just a add on little job I took on that tied into a project that is almost wrapped up. (Pun Intended)

Enjoy your evening. I am enjoying mine. Son turns 10 tomorrow.