• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I Hope Y'all are Current

WildWestDesigns

The hits just keep on coming.

I hope that y'all are all current with your Adobe CC and that there isn't some feature that you may need from older versions.

Ahhh yes, the joys of the subscription model.

Jburns

Man. I bought affinity designer and I have adobe CC
Honestly I have opened affinity a handful of times.
But if it does 80% of what CC does - and 95% of what the sign industry needs —no need for it.
If client sends CC files - then request eps files?

WildWestDesigns

If client sends CC files - then request eps files?

I'm not the one to ask on that, because I rarely get true vector files as it is (unless I created them) and very few CC files at that as well. I have one customer that sends me CC files, but I have viewers that can handle that that will allow me to do my work.

I personally don't think people should be sending master files out to an outside source, unless they know specifically that that source handle handle those files. To assume that one file format that may be the standard in one industry is the standard in another is not good. In my world, SVG is actually more common then Ai, or CDR, although CDR would be the next file just do to it's association with a program that is considered the standard in this trade (although I haven't installed it since X5).

Jburns

Right. I agree.
So if most people in the sign industry receive CC files - the client is competent enough to send a eps or down save.
But I have a feeling most receivewrittennor verbal descriptions - and a CC of the company artwork.

But Generating files for your RIP- then one can use Corel etc. I may be missing something that ONLY cc can do for the graphics / sign industry?

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
This has nothing to do with Photoshop or Illustrator thankfully. Adobe's agreement with Dolby has expired, so users are no longer legally licenced to use some old versions of Animate/Flash.
Adobe isn't the one doing the litigation, but they are warning you that "3rd parties" *cough* Dolby *cough* could go after you if they felt like it.
Just covering their own ass.

WildWestDesigns

The codec has been removed, instead they are using the OS codec. Sound in Windows hasn't been stellar since they changed how it was done in Vista and that continues to this day, so swapping back to the OS native driver is going to be no bueno in my estimation.

It's really cover their butt more then ours I would speculate. They are using more or less a scare tactic to get people to update. I'm speculating here. Otherwise, in theory, if you use Premier CS6, you could be gone after.

It affects these programs here:
  • Adobe Premiere Pro
  • Adobe After Effects
  • Adobe Audition
  • Adobe Photoshop Lightroom
  • Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic
  • Adobe Media Encoder
  • Adobe Prelude
  • Adobe Premiere Elements
The Animate/Flash part of the reading isn't actually directly related. The person needed older Animate for a function that isn't available in newer versions, this would force him to go to newer versions as Adobe is compelling people to totally update to newer versions as they are only keeping the current 2 versions available for download. Animate/Flash isn't directly affected. Which how Animate/Flash is affected is also the way that Ai and Ps users could be affected. It's not direct, but since Adobe is requiring all programs to be only x-1 from current, it could affect Ai and Ps users that way, just like in the Animate/Flash situation.

Of course, this does bring up another instance of the subscription model being no bueno when things like the Animate/Flash issue come about. Fringe case.....yes. Likely to affect alot of people.....probably not, but when it affects you, view about it changes I'm sure.

Last edited:

WildWestDesigns

I'm still on CS6 for a reason... none of this rubbish to deal with.

I still have all my old versions, could still run some of them in VMs, but between how Adobe did things and how Windows is being handled (oh by the way new feature release started rolling out this past Tuesday, hope everyone is puckered up and ready) I totally switched to a different platform (not to Mac either) to not have to deal with the "rubbish" that is going on period. Drastic yes, but I have been able to enjoy my computers (kinda of a computer nerd to begin with, grew up with them during the early years of the PC) a whole lot more since.

Not for everyone, but it worked for me.

C

ColoPrinthead

I found a PS 5.5 disc yesterday, will sell to the highest bidder.

Johnny Best

I stopped at CS6 and have been using Affinity Designer because I had a feeling Adobe would be doing something to make more money. It trades on the stock market so the pressure is there.

MikePro

still rocking CS6 and couldn't be happier!
anything that I cannot open in CS6, I convert via AcrobatPro. To hell with monthly subscriptions, just to be a beta-tester, and I still feel like I need to squeeze my $$$ out of my current software, as they jumped to the CCsubscription services shortly after I had purchased CS6 (still have all the discs/serials for every version since the 90's)

....unfortunately, this may soon change because my dislike for Mac's proprietary & cheap-build/over-price nature, is greater than my disdain for Adobe's subscriptions. Already building new design PC's that will be running windows, and all my CS6 software is for MacOS. Wish I could run hackintosh's here at the shop, but their terms are pretty clear that it is illegal. If I can't find legit PC copies, which most likely don't exist, then I'll just have to suck it up and go with CC.

WildWestDesigns

still rocking CS6 and couldn't be happier!
anything that I cannot open in CS6, I convert via AcrobatPro.

One word of caution with this, is that Adobe could take the servers offline and then couldn't activate them again once the computer you have them on goes kaput. I wouldn't be surprised with that.

Even if they don't do that, have to wonder that an update from MS (or Mac for that matter) kills the ability to use said software.

At least having the ability to VM the software (which for Mac users is also against it's EULA as for the same reason of not using Mac software on non-Mac hardware), don't have to worry about that too much. Be current on bare metal, but run software in a virtual environment.

Fun for all, that's for sure.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
The squabble between Adobe and Dolby is pretty unfortunate. Thanks to the dispute the encoders for Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus formats were removed from Adobe's audio-video applications that could encode 5.1 or 7.1 surround audio. Now anyone creating a video project with surround sound using Premiere Pro will have to buy a third party plug-in (or use a different application) to encode surround mixes in Dolby formats.

Minnetonka audio has a SurCode plug-in for Premiere Pro. It costs $295 and doesn't support 7.1. It just does mono, stereo and 5.1 Dolby Digital encoding. The same goes for the SurCode DTS DVD standalone application (there is a $99 DTS music CD encoding application). There are other applications and plug-ins for rival applications (like Avid, ProTools, etc). But the costs go up from there. Most Blu-ray discs have their audio encoded in DTS-HD Master Audio format. The current DTS:X Encoder Suite (which encodes next-gen DTS:X audio up to 11.1 and older DTS-HD audio up to 7.1) costs $1495. That's not bad if your main business is video production. But it's a bit much if you're only making short audio-video projects from time to time. Dolby has encoding products for TrueHD and Atmos formats that are much more expensive (and MacOSX only).

Windows 10 has built-in capabilities to decode Dolby Digital audio. That's fine for playback. It doesn't get you anywhere if you have a surround mix and want to encode it in Dolby Digital. Straight PCM 5.1/7.1 audio is an alternative, but that format doesn't have "fold down" 5.1>2.0 capabilities like Dolby Digital. And the audio bitstream is much bigger.

WildWestDesigns said:
One word of caution with this, is that Adobe could take the servers offline and then couldn't activate them again once the computer you have them on goes kaput. I wouldn't be surprised with that.

Adobe has been retiring activation servers for older versions of Creative Suite. The CS2 servers were retired in 2013. The CS3 servers were shut down in 2016. It would be reasonable to assume the CS4, CS5 and CS6 servers will be eventually retired too.

In the case of CS2, Adobe provided a new set of installers to registered users. Those installers didn't require activation. I think Adobe has a different procedure for people with registered copies of CS3. I've seen users have installations headaches with later CS versions due to them being upgrades from previous versions: serial numbers for both the previous version and upgrade version have to check out with the servers. That doesn't always happen.

I still have my old CS 5.5 Master Collection box handy as a worst case scenario fallback. I've kept a lot of other previous version discs from Adobe, Corel, Macromedia, etc just for the sentimental value. I even have my original boxes of Photoshop 2.5 and Illustrator 4 with the floppy disc installers.

WildWestDesigns

In the case of CS2, Adobe provided a new set of installers to registered users. Those installers didn't require activation. I think Adobe has a different procedure for people with registered copies of CS3. I've seen users have installations headaches with later CS versions due to them being upgrades from previous versions: serial numbers for both the previous version and upgrade version have to check out with the servers. That doesn't always happen.

This is precisely why starting with CS4 (and with CS5 and CS6) I didn't do the upgrade pricing. I bought the license outright versus the upgrade path for this very reason.

I still have my old CS 5.5 Master Collection box handy as a worst case scenario fallback. I've kept a lot of other previous version discs from Adobe, Corel, Macromedia, etc just for the sentimental value. I even have my original boxes of Photoshop 2.5 and Illustrator 4 with the floppy disc installers.

Still have some of the older programs that I can still use.

Attached is the oldest that I have that I'm still able to run. It eventually became Ps Elements.

Anybody that's keeping their old discs, I would suggest making ISOs of them. Most OSs now will mount an ISO as a virtual drive and could attempt to install from there. Don't use a compression program though for that, use disk burning software.

Makes things easier if using VMs as well as ISOs are recognized as optical disks in those programs as well.

Attachments

• Photo Delux.png
    Photo Delux.png
    108 KB · Views: 286

visual800

cs5 and me have a great relationship dont plan on changing that, yall can have all these subscription headaches