• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I just launched a Kickstarter project.

Mosh

I might start a page like that next time I plan to get a new printer....how does that work with taxes? is it income?

signmeup

I assume it's income. As far as I can tell, Kickstarter charges tax on a pledge just like it were an online order. If you were in Canada I believe they would add the GST to your invoice. I'm in Canada so it's likely to be different rules.

Adrian

toomeycustoms

Good luck. Speaking from experience, I hope your marketing plan goes a lot further than just this forum. If you expect that Kickstarter traffic will get you pledges, it won't get you much.

When we posted a kickstarter, they wouldn't allow any projects where the funding was going to be used to purchase equipment. They must have changed there guidelines.

CES020

It can work fantastic. I have friends as well as customers that have used it very successfully. One customer came to me and was unemployed. 12 months later, he's sold about $400,000 worth of product. So from no job to now having his own machines and selling over $400K in 1 year.

The problem all of the people I know have with it is that it's a spike in sales. Once your project is over, you're gone as far as the visibility. So the only way to get the visibility back is to do another kickstarter project. You become dependent on it to a degree. But they all tell me as soon as the campaign is over, their traffic radically drops off and none of them were prepared for that. It makes them ramp up, hire people, get the project done, then they have to lay people off, which is never what they wanted to do. That doesn't matter to you much, since you have the sign business, but it's just something to be aware of.

p.s. AWESOME project you did, that's really cool stuff!

signmeup

Thanks guys. I'm planning on doing anything I can with the laser after the KS is over... not just the planes. There are sign applications for it too.

I figured the tricky part with these KS projects was the promotion. I was pretty well known in the R/C business at one time so I'm counting on R/C forums to promote this. I need to move 50 kits to reach my goal. If you know anyone or anywhere to post it I would very much appreciate it. I know there are a few R/C people on here.

Adrian

signmeup

Good luck. Speaking from experience, I hope your marketing plan goes a lot further than just this forum. If you expect that Kickstarter traffic will get you pledges, it won't get you much.

When we posted a kickstarter, they wouldn't allow any projects where the funding was going to be used to purchase equipment. They must have changed there guidelines.

Any tips on promoting this thing would be much appreciated.

Adrian

Biker Scout

Where's your video? I wanna see some stuff! I back stuff on there quite a bit. I've been ramping up to launch my eco drink product. I just been tinkering with the video, then I'll post it.

signmeup

I don't have the skills to make a video. I figured I would take my chances without one. Good luck with your project.

Adrian

CES020

You do realize a video can be a slideshow made of individual graphics, right? You are in the sign business, right? Make some "slides" and put them into a video explaining what they are getting and why you want their help.

Seriously, I have seen some really great things from it and those people all tell me how important the video is. You can do it and it's not too late. Just put a few things together and get SOMETHING up. Anything. You're advertising, it's no different than signs. Let your inner sign person come out.

I've got the RC flying bug myself. Mostly I fly gliders but I like seeing what other folks are doing.

I agree about the video. It maybe worth the effort of investing some cash into getting someone to help make a video and some marketing materials. I know it's not cheap but it might really help get you towards your goal.

Good luck,
Chris

signmeup

You do realize a video can be a slideshow made of individual graphics, right? You are in the sign business, right? Make some "slides" and put them into a video explaining what they are getting and why you want their help.

Seriously, I have seen some really great things from it and those people all tell me how important the video is. You can do it and it's not too late. Just put a few things together and get SOMETHING up. Anything. You're advertising, it's no different than signs. Let your inner sign person come out.

I don't have a clue how to do that or what software to use. I thought a slide show would be a good idea with some text on the pictures but truthfully I have no idea how.

Adrian

signworldusinc

Merchant Member
Thats pretty neat, I would definitely try social media create a FB page for it, tape a flying session and throw it onto youtube, put it onto pinterest.

Create an actual website that you could put more information on it. Create a twitter and use hashtags to get more views.

Just suggestions.

signmeup

You can create facebook pages for "things"? I thought they were only like your homepage or something. I have a facebook page. I have a website under way for it www.adrianpage.com I have no idea how twitter works. Pintrest is neat but I don't know how I to use it to my advantage.

OMG... I'm a dinosaur.

Adrian

Biker Scout

OK, I get the no social media thing. I'm pretty much against it just on principles. However, if you've got a smart phone, you can make a YouTube video. No excuses.

Biker Scout

Oh, you can make free animated slide show over on PowToons.com for free. I paid the upgrade so I could do a few more things and get rid of the loud "Created In PowToons.com" saying at the end of the video. But it allows you to directly upload it to a YouTube channel. Really easy. I'm literally making my Kickstarter commercial in it as we speak.

Yeah seriously... and I don't mean this to sound funny but the high school kids are definitely adept at using social media. Find a smart one and you can probably pay them pretty cheap to put something together for you.

Biker Scout

PowToons.com just watch the demo.

(Has a flip phone? How are we supposed to think he'll be able to run a laser machine? Most of the cool laser machines can be run from a smart phone app!) :ROFLMAO: