• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I love 3M.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
They want customer info to make sure you are not buying to resell or stockpiling the materials and they really only want to deal with distributors, not installers. 70 rolls to 3m isn't much and they won't really be interested unless your buying a lot more film. That is nice size order to buy from a distributor not 3m.

-Gregor

Ya know, my wife buys groceries every week from the store.... and not a single person asks her what or who she's gonna serve or how. In fact, they don't even care if she mistakenly got a product which was already outdated. I'll bet they don't even care if some of her groceries go bad and start molding over. Furthermore, when she goes back the next week, they don't even ask her how last week's groceries turned out or if she had to throw any away.

3M has no concern what you do with their products or why you even buy them. Their need to know your customer list is bad business in my book. Here is one area which I think they have crossed over the line.

gspicer

Odd comment.

IMO If you buy a massive amount of anything from me I could care less if you set fire to it. Asking for client names is going way too far.

That is true in many cases, but 70 rolls is not a massive amount to 3m. Logistically it isn't in their best interest. At the scale 3m operates it's more efficient to move entire trucks than to piece orders out. That is what distributors are for. Also large manufactures got the distributors to protect and please. Selling directly at a discount will drive the MSRP down overtime. If you was a distributor would you want to stock a product from a company that will sell to consumers directly and possibly uncut your prices?

Why they would want the customer's name I'm not sure. Maybe to verify the project is real and isn't an ebay reseller. 70 rolls may be enough for them to ship the order, but not enough to make them care about a lost sale.

-Gregor

Actually to qualify for a 3M CRF price plan it is required to give Client and scope of project. This legally levels the playing field for alotted discounts as well as clears any and all from potential price fixing accusations. Projects of these sizes are often at a national bid level so It is not uncommon for the MFG knowing who end user is. The minimum s/f to qualify is 35,000 s/f per project and CRF are usually honored for a calender year and need to be renewed. We have utilized the CRF discounts for almost 10 years and have several on going projects we have won thanks to this pricing given. Savings ranges between 18 - 25 % less than our current day to day pricing.

I have never even second guessed letting 3M know who our clients are knowing the reason they need the info and it has nothing to do with stealing your client. 3M has been one of our best partners and have helped us grow and profit leaps and bounds for many years.

Hope this explains the reasoning behind the requirements and what is really behind them.

MikePro

wait, so the 3M boycott is over.... aaaand started up again?
can't keep up with you crazy Westies. Arlon doing just fine around here.

fmg

Actually to qualify for a 3M CRF price plan it is required to give Client and scope of project. This legally levels the playing field for alotted discounts as well as clears any and all from potential price fixing accusations. Projects of these sizes are often at a national bid level so It is not uncommon for the MFG knowing who end user is. The minimum s/f to qualify is 35,000 s/f per project and CRF are usually honored for a calender year and need to be renewed. We have utilized the CRF discounts for almost 10 years and have several on going projects we have won thanks to this pricing given. Savings ranges between 18 - 25 % less than our current day to day pricing.

I have never even second guessed letting 3M know who our clients are knowing the reason they need the info and it has nothing to do with stealing your client. 3M has been one of our best partners and have helped us grow and profit leaps and bounds for many years.

Hope this explains the reasoning behind the requirements and what is really behind them.
Great post :thumb:

HulkSmash

I don't understand why they couldn't explain this to me. They pretty much told me they offer the price to my customer so that in the future if they get a request from another vendor they can offer the same price..

To start these vehicles we would need 70 rolls or 52k sqft.

thanks for the info mike

Tim Aucoin

Well, that pretty much sums it up... AND it makes perfectly good sense. I'm guessing that when 3M asked for this info from Colorado, they didn't do the best job of explaining the details behind the request. I think you've cleared it up rather well here! :goodpost:

fmg

:smile:

Attachments

• IL3M.jpg
    IL3M.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 95

Flame

I needed a bid from Oracal once for a little over 60,000 square feet of material. I had no problem getting straight answers from them with quotes, turnaround times, shipping suggestions etc. I simply verified with them who I was and who my usual supplier was and went quite easily.

Reason #8549549 why I like Oracal products.

Billct2

to qualify for a 3M CRF price plan it is required to give Client and scope of project. This legally levels the playing field for alotted discounts as well as clears any and all from potential price fixing accusations.
I'm not sure I understand this, in order to prevent price fixing they need to know who the client is? This levels the playing field how? If a Sign Co. is bidding this project and buys their material by the hundreds of rolls on a regular basis they aren't even asked this question, right? And they are getting a better discount anyhow. And who's doing the price fixing here? I would think other than verifying you are a legit sign company there is no need for any other info.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure I understand this, in order to prevent price fixing they need to know who the client is? This levels the playing field how? If a Sign Co. is bidding this project and buys their material by the hundreds of rolls on a regular basis they aren't even asked this question, right? And they are getting a better discount anyhow. And who's doing the price fixing here? I would think other than verifying you are a legit sign company there is no need for any other info.

I totally agree. While the whole explanation might make sense on paper, it still doesn't make any sense in a business world. If 3M..... or whomever has a price schedule, why is the price fixation on the end-user and not the quantity being bought ??

Also, does this mean the price will change according to who the end-user will be ?? So, if I have customer ABC and get a price for X amount of media.... it might differ if the job is for customer XYZ ?? How in the heck is that considered fair. Besides, if I have an order for Company Bippity Bobbity Boo and finish it in a few weeks and then Boppsy Pickle Ears asks for an identical order a week later, the pricing might differ ?? C'mon..... who ever heard of this kinda backroom kinda crap ??

If what Color said up front is what's happening, then there seems to be another reason for these type of tactics. Keep a playing field fair, why is that their concern ?? They sell vinyl.... anyway to the sign industry. Ya either win or ya lose, but playing games with your customers is tricky business.

rjssigns

Boppsy Pickle Ears. LOL Hey Gino can I use that? I'm calling dibs unless you're gonna trademark it or sumthin'.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sure, you can use it. When I was little, we used to kid my Dad about his girlfriend.... Boppsy Pickle Ears. He didn't really have one, but we kidded him about her. Although my Dad is long gone, it's still the pet name we use for some unsuspecting girl in a story...........