• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I need a designer who can also do production

Adam Parfrey

I am not sure this is the right place to look for an employee but I will post anyway. I run a sign company in Bristol and need a new member of staff who can produce visuals for the customers and also cut/print/laminate ready for fitting. We use omega software with photoshop and illustrator. The printer is a Mutoh Valuejet and the plotter is Summacut with an easymount laminator.

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
Just do what everyone else in the world does and hire a GA out of college, train them in production, and then continue to pay them the rate of a GA.

When they get tired of low rates and long hours, rinse, repeat. It's a win for you and a lose for them, but who cares, they're expendable.

AMIRITE?

KMC

Graphic Artist
Good luck with the hunt
its hard to find decent cross-trained people, might be best to invest into a cloning machine

Santimus

We all do haha good luck! I'll even settle for a production guy who can do simple type setting and layouts and learn the printers/plotters/laser.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
I do design with coreldraw. I use Omega for some jobs too. We have have flexi but only use it for print managing. Also have a subscription to Adobe illustrator.

I print, plotter cut, weed, banner hem and grommets, applications to various substrates, vehicle installs (simple text vinyl and such), laminate/encapsulate, pc troubleshooting, interact with customers via email, and or in person, survey vehicles, take payments, ....

Just don't do illustrator. I only mention it because maybe there are a lot out there just like me who pass on anything that lists Adobe as their main mode of operation.

All of that is irrelevant. Most importantly I come to work on time every day! And I have a second night job from 9pm to 2am and still don't use an alarm clock. I can go to lunch and not even look at the clock and still punch in exactly 1 hr later.

Good luck with your search for my clone.

p.s. not willing to relocate

papabud

Lone Wolf
the area and position your looking to fill is an hour wage of $16-20
anything less than that and you will get someone much less than what you need.
if you have the time i would suggest finding someone that can start in production and take on a little design work then once trained give them more duties.

JTBoh

the area and position your looking to fill is an hour wage of $16-20
anything less than that and you will get someone much less than what you need.
if you have the time i would suggest finding someone that can start in production and take on a little design work then once trained give them more duties.

Almost everyone can be trained in production... it's better to start with the harder position to train - artistic talent FIRST and go the other way.

WildWestDesigns

Or yet, Bristol TN.

Almost everyone can be trained in production... it's better to start with the harder position to train - artistic talent FIRST and go the other way.

Oh, if it was only that simple for some production methods. I've seen people with kickass talent, but can't design for production and there stuck with their own aesthetic that doesn't fit production as well. So they aren't as easy to mold into a production mindset. Not all production needs mind you, but for some, it can be a booger.

Having talent in being able to design and to be able to fit it into a production medium is worth it's weight in gold. Depending on what production medium that is, worth even more then others.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
We hired a traditional illustrator once. Her portfolio was fantastic work. Lots of pencil drawings and such and said she had experience with digital work too but.....NOT

My background started in the traditional arts i.e. painting, pastels, drawing etc. For which I've won several awards. On the other hand I worked with a person while I was in the military who was put out because he couldn't grasp the concept of digital design. A background, for those that don't know, the military will put you into something else if you get injured and cannot perform your current duties. This was his case. He was in training for another job but got hurt so they stuck him into Visual Information (graphics).

I still believe the design skills and/or artistic skills can be taught if the passion is there. Work ethics is where the youth of today are lacking.

AKwrapguy

I am not sure this is the right place to look for an employee but I will post anyway. I run a sign company in Bristol and need a new member of staff who can produce visuals for the customers and also cut/print/laminate ready for fitting. We use omega software with photoshop and illustrator. The printer is a Mutoh Valuejet and the plotter is Summacut with an easymount laminator.

Where are you located, how much are you looking to pay, are there benefits?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I started in the sign industry at a small start up shop and they hired me straight out of high school where I took graphic design courses. I started at $8 per hour and they taught me how to run production as well. By the time I was proficient I was at $13 per hour. That was 14 years ago. These days if you want someone who has experience in both design and production that you don't have to train, you are going to have to pay much more than that especially if you are in a large city.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
If a designer can’t figure out on their own where you are with the clues you have already given, I doubt they can navigate a printer or plotter menu... he’s in Bristol, UK

By the way, I want to ditch design and be a ska/mod/northern soul DJ

I also would not worry about young designers, I would worry about old dogs that refuse to learn new tricks....

Last edited:

WildWestDesigns

So your saying I should start gaining weight?

If that's your takeaway with what I said, that's up to you.

I still believe the design skills and/or artistic skills can be taught if the passion is there.

I believe that as well. I know there are some that say that they are either born with it or not when it comes to artistic talent. If you are either born with something or not, that leaves no room for the ability to improve. So how far one is able to go is already determined, no incentive to improve technique or anything like that. It's either there or not.

Some things come easier to some compared to others (for those that have that, I've noticed they tend not to have a desire to improve themselves either, not all mind you, but it does seem to be the case more often then not in my experience), but then again, I think one appreciates something more then more one has to work for it. But one has to be willing to stick through it.

JTBoh

I walked in a sign shop about 8 years back and they hired me, for sales. Since then, I now do nearly all of my own design for my projects, can apply, weed, trim, mask vinyl, install, permit, etc. Also do shop drawings well enough that our engineer basically stamps them and hands em back. The only thing I don't know yet is how to run the printer or plotter - but we've always had a guy for that. I'm sure I'd get it in a day.

DerbyCitySignGuy

How far is Bristol from Leeds? I've always wanted to see the Royal Armory. Sorry, Armoury.

Sponsor my VISA and pay my relocation fees? Haha!