• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I need a little moral support........

J

john1

I can't wait until i move outta this apartment and i can have pets. First thing i am getting is a chocolate lab...always wanted one of those!

I have a customer who is a dog trainer, He is also a police officer and man he can do basic house breaking to making dogs sniff out heroin and stuff. Call on some dog trainers around you and see what they can do for you. I know in a few hours he taught my father in laws rottweiler basic things and hes a monster.

natedawg9640

lol @ choco labs. reminds me of my aunt/uncle's dogs. they have 2 labs. never will i have chocolate labs. one of them constantly licks. and i don't just mean when you are near it. i mean it walks around literally licking the air. (quite comical actually) and the other one chews stuff and air humps. while one is air licking, the other one is running around performing belly dancing and wild hip gyrations. weird dogs.

J

john1

lol @ choco labs. reminds me of my aunt/uncle's dogs. they have 2 labs. never will i have chocolate labs. one of them constantly licks. and i don't just mean when you are near it. i mean it walks around literally licking the air. (quite comical actually) and the other one chews stuff and air humps. while one is air licking, the other one is running around performing belly dancing and wild hip gyrations. weird dogs.

lol My mom has a black lab and it's nothing like that lol

visual800

PUPPIES! once you get past the hell of them chewing everything up the rewards will pay off. having a dog is great. You couldnt ask for better pal. they are work though. I had a basset hound for 14 years. he never chewed anything up, he housebroke himself and he got along with ANYTHING that was in his path, no fighting or anyhting . I will NEVER find another dog like that

Donny7833

First off, you can never replace and old friend. But, once you get over the sting of the loss, you can start a new friendship.

I was in the same situation about 5 years back. I had to put down my buddy of 16 yrs and didn't think I could possibly get a dog as good as he. But, right place, right time, and I brought home a puppy. He's not the same fella, his personality is completely different, but I love him just as much.

Puppies are puppies, they're gonna chew wether you like it or not. Gino and Pat have it right. (1) if you don't want it chewed, put it where it can't be reached. (2) Have some acceptable chew items available. If you catch them chewing on your shoes, immediately offer the chew toy as an alternative and curse yourself for leaving your shoes laying around. Remember, your the adult. ;)

Puppy's are a bit dumb and driven by instinct, but they turn into friends you can't live without. I've always felt it was worth the months of puppy struggle in exchange for the years of companionship.

In a couple of years, your gonna look down at that beautiful mug and chuckle about what a s#^% head she/he used to be. I envy you, these are the good times...

Billct2

Like has been said, crate training is the most time effective painless(for both of you) way to go. But get on it right away.
Personally I haven't got time for a pup so my last two girls have been older rescues, already house broke.

skyhigh

Nice comments and some great advice. Thanks all.

Spent night #2 with less drama (and crying). She slept from 8:30pm until 4:30am, without any accidents. I guess you can't ask for anything more.

The people we got the dog from told us to feed her Purina Puppy Chow ONLY for the first year. I don't know if that is their personal opinion, or if that's from their Vet. So far we've just kept the dry puppy chow in her bowl. I'm guessing that may be wrong, and we should feed her at specific intervals???

Our old dog used to eat whatever we ate. Everyone said that was not a good thing, but she never had a problem & lived a long life. Spaghetti nite was her favorite.
:Oops:

HulkSmash

Nice comments and some great advice. Thanks all.

Spent night #2 with less drama (and crying). She slept from 8:30pm until 4:30am, without any accidents. I guess you can't ask for anything more.

The people we got the dog from told us to feed her Purina Puppy Chow ONLY for the first year. I don't know if that is their personal opinion, or if that's from their Vet. So far we've just kept the dry puppy chow in her bowl. I'm guessing that may be wrong, and we should feed her at specific intervals???

Our old dog used to eat whatever we ate. Everyone said that was not a good thing, but she never had a problem & lived a long life. Spaghetti nite was her favorite.
:Oops:

Purina is trash - tons of fillers. I was feeding my puppy that in the first 2-3 weeks. He pooped about 7 times a day. I slowly switched him to blue buffalo, and instantly he went from pooping 7 times a day to 2.. 3 at MAX. We fed him 3 times a day until he was 1 and then only twice a day a cup in the morning, and a cup at night. with the cheaper dog food you have to feed them several cup because it has no nutriance

BLUE buffalo

only available at pet foods, and not your typical store.

bernie

Darling!

My golden is about 8 now and he was real easy to housebreak.

Wire crate (not the ones that are used for airplanes), soft bed in there. Was not used for scolding so he liked it. Went in there when I was busy and at night time. I took him out on a regular basis (he still doesn't know how to tell me he needs to go outside but watching body language works for both of us). I put him on a pretty good routine of get up in the morning - immediately come out of the crate and go outside. Feed him - put him in his crate for max 30 minutes and then take him out again. I made sure to watch that he really did his business and not just follow critter scents as he lives on acreage. Gets a treat and a 'good boy'. Goldens love that. Had his own rug in the house and one in the shop. If he started getting restless, outside to do his business again. Crate when customers came into the shop as it is not acceptable to have a dog greeting my customers. Easy, easy, easy. Hasn't used the crate since he was potty trained. He doesn't get table scraps.