• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I need help!

WrapperX

WALL NOODLE SUCKS! We have a JV3 160 and we haven't had a single print on MacTacs wall noodle stay up. Out gased for over a weekend, applied, peeled in a couple of days. Printed with .25" white border out gased for a weekend applied on monday - peeled in couple of days.
We ended up giving up on doing temp wall graphics.

Big Blue

I appreciate everyones Input here. Gonna get a Sample roll of Phototex and give it a try, and compare it with the other medias I have been using.

Mike_Koval

I would suggest trying GMI wall graphic vinyl. By far, in all repositionable wall vinyl, it has had the best results. As long as there is a bleed, it will not curl and will stay. I can provide samples as well.

If you are looking to print without a bleed, then you seriously need look into the new SeraMark Fabric Wall Graphic material. As the name states, it is a fabric based material, solvent printable with the ability to print and cut to the edge with absolutely ZERO bleed. Excellent opacity, color reproduction and most importantly CPSIA compliant.

I can provide samples upon request.

jiarby

No one has mentiond it yet, but Latex wall paint can be a contributing factor to prints coming off the wall... especially matte/flat

Rydaddy

No one has mentiond it yet, but Latex wall paint can be a contributing factor to prints coming off the wall... especially matte/flat

You beat me to it.

Exterior painted surfaces that vinyl graphics need to adhere to = no latex. Oil base.
Interior painted surfaces that vinyl graphics need to adhere to = gloss latex acceptable.

If we are selling RTA vinyl to someone and they mention painting something we try like heck to tell them what paint they HAVE to use... doesn't mean they listen though.

I recommend mentioning to your boss that you need more information about the failures, and the surfaces the graphics were applied to. Could have nothing to do with what you printed. I will also add (and many will disagree with me) that the recent additions of all these "removable" adhesives for wall graphics are easily removable because they don't adhere very well.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I've had a painted wall that I couldn't even tape up a graphic. It was glossy and had been cured for 72 hours. There are so many variations in the additives used to extend the life, make them glossier, anti graffiti... that sometimes the paint is to blame. Rare but it does happen.

I also think you would have better luck with cast vinyl instead of the calendard and high performance calendard oracal you spec'ed. Cast vinyl will shrink less with or with out the printing. Most painted surfaces have an orange peel texture and cast can conform to the texture better.

Calendard vinyl does work matched with the correct paint, sufficent squeegee pressure and without streching. I usually use a felt squeegee because it conforms better to the orange peel texture of the paint. A stiff squeegee will only make contact with high points of the textured paint. If your installing a masked graphic you should resqueegee it after you remove the mask.

Just my 2 cents.

I haven't been doing this for real long, and haven't tried many different products for this, but we use Avery MPI2601 for removable wall graphics, and have had great luck with it. It's a great product, we've used it for bumper stickers, wall graphics, even as a replacement for static material when it's going on a surface that statics won't stick to.
Haven't yet had any trouble with edges peeling and we don't normally laminate it.

GB2

Old Member
Here's the definitive guide for wall graphics installation, note the test kit and procedure on page 11.

Attachments

• Instruction Bulletin 5.37 Wall Preparation.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 102

visual800

laminating wall graphics is the WORST thing you can do! I have found graphics dont like flat paint. if its eggshell or above I have no problems. ALSO when applying laminated graphics they have pulled off the wall and on awnings. i always get my graphics nonlaminated and clear them with urethanes