• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I need some inspiration

Jon Aston

We've been in business for eight years and moved to this location about a year ago. Our original location was in a mall type setting with about 30 other retail spaces. We had no road/outside frontage and only had 1000 sq.ft. which was getting tight.

We chose our current location in this strip center because the rent was reasonable, the visiblility is outstanding (20,000 + cars a day), doubled our space to 2,000 sq.ft. allowing us to add a bay door in the back allowing us to pull vehicles in the warehouse area during cold weather.

The reason for my original question was that I have a ton of window space and lots of people to look at it, so I might as well use it.

Great answer... and I know you were asking about that window space - but - that space is really more suited to reaching people already on their way into your business... or those parking there, to enter a neighbouring business.

Personally, I don't think you're using the big, beautiful opportunity that the gigantic fascia over your windows is giving you... to say something big and bold about your business - visible from from a greater distance.

That grey (all grey, really... it's not even a colour!) is overpoweringly inconspicuous and dull...and your fascia sign is disproportionate, small... and predominantly grey. I would recommend doing something like replacing it with a full sized, changeable banner frame and gooseneck lighting. Change out the banner with each new marketing campaign. You have an opportunity to really stand out in that environment! So why not do it? The overall impact will be much greater.

As for the "asking the wrong questions" comment above...

While marketing always involves some experimentation, it shouldn't be approached as random trial and error. Take a step back from what products you think/hope might sell... and develop your strategy based on what customers want/need, and why yours is the right company to provide them with that.

You've got the right idea about demonstrating how your products/services can be used to generate new business - for any company. But understand this: Successful campaigns reach the right people with the right message at the right time.

Your new changeable fascia sign, window graphics, truck (or whatever), etc - can all be part of an integrated campaign that works together with your e-marketing and direct mail (for example) to connect with more of your target customers, more frequently, with advertising that is more relevant to them... the more successful you will be.

Just jamming.

And you didn't answer my second question. :)