• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I really Hate the School District.

showcase 66

I have been trying to get my foot in the door at a couple of schools here for about 3 years now and this year I was finally able to get some work from them. In August I got my first order of shirts for one of the elementary Schools which I got a PO as soon as they accepted my bid. 2 weeks later they day I was delivering there 350 shirts, I got a check in the mail from the School. Thought that was pretty quick since I was expecting 3-4 weeks from what I had always heard about the district.

At the end of September and beginning of October I had 6 different jobs within the school district ranging from $800 to $4500 totaling just under $16,000.

My wife keeps the books up to date and has mentioned to me in the past couple of weeks that we havent gotten payment from the schools and I was just thinking it was the last 2 which was an $800 and $1200 order. I kept telling her to call the schools and see when we can pick up a check.

Today, I get a letter in the mail with 6 checks in it. Every check was about a quarter of what they were suppose to be. I am fricken pissed beyond belief. The letter stated that there was multiple errors within the orders as in wrong sizes, quantity, colors, and spelling.

I called the SD to figure out what the hell they were talking about. Every order I dropped off, I made sure we went through every box and counted them at the school with one of the office personnel. Every shirt, size, and quantity was accounted for and signed off as being delivered.

All except for one order, they did not want to take the space up in the conference room to do this. I had the principle of that school write a statement saying that they waived the right to check the quantity, sizes and colors while I was there. I was always told to have them sign an invoice with a not from them stating if they did not want me to do something. Just to cover my butt.

They said I can come talk to the superintendent tomorrow about my "claims" against the schools.

I was going to go down there but my wife wouldn't let me go. Probably a good thing. I would probably would have been removed by police.

For now my wife is getting all the paperwork in order for me to take to him and hopefully I will get a check before I leave.

I need a drink now.

Locals Find!

That is just plain BS on their part. Glad you have your paperwork good luck getting it sorted out try not to harm anyone. Keep in mind they don't know any better they are just bureaucrats.

CanuckSigns

funny how they never called you about the errors. whenever we get an error in an order, we make sure to call the supplier first and figure it out, in fact i'm sure that's how 99.99% of businesses would handle this issue.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Ha ha ha...THEY screw up and YOU have to go to the principal's office.

All in a day's work...

JB

threeputt

Yeah, I'm with Watson.

For pete's sake, you've got a beef about the order, bring it up then and there. That's El Toro Poopoo in my belief, to wait 90 days and then suggest the quarter payment is because of a problem with the order.

I'd call 'em out on it if that's indeed the case.

If your ducks are all in a row, (and it sounds like they are) request a meeting with the Athletic Director or whomever.

royster13

Every single order I deliver gets a followup call in a few days to ask questions regarding quality control...Every invoice not paid in 21 days gets a followup to make sure they have the invoice and ask if there are any problems.....You need to make some drastic changes in your business procedures....

showcase 66

Ha ha ha...THEY screw up and YOU have to go to the principal's office.

All in a day's work...

JB

Funny

Every single order I deliver gets a followup call in a few days to ask questions regarding quality control...Every invoice not paid in 21 days gets a followup to make sure they have the invoice and ask if there are any problems.....You need to make some drastic changes in your business procedures....

PO is 30-45 day payment. I agreed to those terms so at 21 days not going to really help me here. On other clients, it is drop off and pick up final check, no check, no drop off.

Did that for a traveling youth baseball team last summer. 30 team uniforms(shirts, hats, pants, socks, and belts), 100 team shirts for parents and to sell to raise some money. Showed up to the guys house that runs the program while the parents and kids were outside for a bbq. Went over everything. Asked for the balance, and was told that he didnt have the funds at the moment and he would get with me by the end of next week. Said thats fine, you can pick up your stuff by the end of next week. Started packing it up. He thought I was joking and asked if I wanted a drink and went outside. When he came back in, boxes were in the truck and I was getting ready to pull away.

I had cash in hand within 5 minutes.

My wife faxed an invoice to each school and to the district office once a week after the 60th day. I was to busy on other things and I really should have been paying better attention to what she was telling me.

Right now, I have all the paper work ready to go. Copy of all my fax reports. Signed and dated contracts along with signed and dated delivery with everything checked off. And my lawyer (my childhood's bet friends father) said he would come along if I needed him.

Going to try and work it out without seeming like I am going to take them to court over this.

Going over at 930 so will let you know what happens after that.

royster13

Do the POs they give you specify a payment time frame 30 to 45 days?......And to me the followup call at 21 days is not specific to collecting, it is just another attempt to confirm there are no problems.....So you do not find yourself getting complaints months after the fact.....

signswi

They probably had their budget slashed between ordering and payment seems like schools are getting cuts biweekly these days. Be polite but firm, school administrators are overwhelmed and in really tough positions financially. That said you need to get yours.

Joe Diaz

Ah the classic case of the late paying customer who only becomes unhappy with your work after the bill is pass due. I can't believe people think this will work. It's obvious they are just trying to weasel out of paying full price.

This to me is probably one of biggest slaps in the face you can get. Not only are you not going to pay me for my hard work, but then you're going to tell me the reason you haven't paid isn't because you can't manage your finances properly but because I did a bad job. BS Get your money, all of it, and then fire this customer.

signage

Who do they think they are to determine the amount even if there was a problem! They should first notify the business and let them remedy the best way they see fit not the customer making the decision!
Go get em and make them pay a late fee/interest on pass due invoice!

TheSnowman

Yea, I've never bought anything that was wrong, and waited till way past after I had the product and AFTER I mailed the payment to complain. Before the payment...sure, MAYBE...but that's crazy!

A school is a good account to have, but sometimes unless you know someone on the inside, it's a bigger headache than you ever thought possible.

I had the school order three banners, I told them if they ordered two, I'd throw in the third. I did, then they lost it when it was time to update sponsor names the next year. She told me "well, you never gave us the third one, we just picked up two and we were waiting on the third". The awesome thing was I'd ordered them from Signs365, so I KNEW I had all of them at one time. I didn't buckle, even though they told me for a month that I "owed them one"...some time passed, and now this year it miraculously printed itself in my shop, and folded itself up, walked up to the high school and threw itself in a closet. Amazing how it works. Just depends who you are dealing w/ on the stuff.

Graphics2u

If there were all these errors as in spelling, sizes and qty, why didn't they call you to rectify the problems??? I would assume they need the shirts and if they didn't have the right sizes, how did they get by? Sounds fishy to me.

showcase 66

Well that was a lot easier than expected. Walked in waited 3-5 minutes and a guy came out shook my hand said the Superintendent wouldn't be able to meet right now. I was about to go off when he handed me an envelope with a check in it. He said there was a problem with another vendor for them and they mistakenly deducted from my bills instead of the other person.

Not sure if I buy that but hey, he gave me the check. Also in the envelope was another project they want a bid on for the district.

Will definitely have to think about it. Would be nice to make a better working relationship, just not sure if I want to have to go through this again.

On a good note, I found out one of my best clients wife works at the district office. I have known them for about 12 years now but didn't know she worked there. Hopefully having her in there can maybe pull some more work my way.

Craig Sjoquist

Great to hear all worked out better for you seems like you have a 1st class customer treat them like gold forget the errors seems it was just so, the better your service the more work your getting, keep it up bravo